Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've found lots of data on powders common on your side of the pond. But I've found very little, if any, on norma and vithavouri powders.

"Sometimes" I can get imr powders here but always at great expense compared to vv and norma.

Is there anyone of you guys that use any norma or vv powders that's suitable for 35 rem?

Spån

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
.35 Remington

Load Image
Warning! Remington Model 14, twenty-two-inch barrel,sixteen inch twist, Remington 9 1/2 primers, Remington cases. (Taken From Handloader Issue 98)
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
200 Remington round-nose Norma N-202 39.0 2,044
180 Speer flat-nose Norma N-202 40.0 2,132
�2011 PPC, INC. All Rights Reserved. LoadData is registered in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office

You might try this one. Didn't copy well, but the recipe uses Norma N202 with a 180 Speer bullet. This is from LoadData.com. I haven't tried this load.

Reactions: Spån

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Norma n-202 is an extremely versatile powder for 308-win(which I've done a whole lot of loading for), I think I might even have a can or two! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I was greatly disapointed to find not one word in my 3rd Edition Vihtavuori reloading manual on this cartridge, as I have 2 Marlin 336s chambered in it. However, on page 57 their burn rate chart puts IMR4895 right next to their N135. If you happen to have some on hand & want to try it, 34.0 to 38.0GRS will work for the 180 Speer, and 34.0 to 36.5GRS will work for a 200GR bullet. Good luck, jd45

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I was greatly disapointed to find not one word in my 3rd Edition Vihtavuori reloading manual on this cartridge, as I have 2 Marlin 336s chambered in it. However, on page 57 their burn rate chart puts IMR4895 right next to their N135. If you happen to have some on hand & want to try it, 34.0 to 38.0GRS will work for the 180 Speer, and 34.0 to 36.5GRS will work for a 200GR bullet. Good luck, jd45
I would wager that a call or email to Vihtavuori would yield the load data you seek.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just by coincidence i got exactly that one as well!
Both powders have a vide range of bullet weights for the 308 win. (n202 and N135) interesting :)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
"Sometimes" I can get imr powders here but always at great expense compared to vv and norma.
"Sometimes" we can get VV powder and it's EXPENSIVE!!, haven't seen a can of Norma powder in about 20 years!?

VV has a good rep over here, just that hardly anyone can afford to burn it on this side of the pond! and as for Norma?, haven't seen that label on ANYTHING!??, for years now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little comparison.

I can buy 2 pounds (1kg) vv135 locally for about 110$. Or

I can order 1 can of any hodgon powder for the same price. Shipping powder is expensive!

Actually, anything is expensive over here.. Well..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, I have 8 pounds of vv n135. Never thought to try it with the .35 Rem. Thanks for the thread! :beerglass:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Span, you understood that the charge weights I gave you were for the IMR4895, right? jd45
Yes i did, but thanks for clarifying anyway!

Vv wasn't as much help as I hoped, here's the reply
"Thank you for your message and inquiry of our products and services.

Please be informed that all VV ReLo Data what we are giving out is available at: http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data

If some caliber, bullet or type of powder is missing then I´m not able to help you by providing any of my own instructions.
That is why because of our VV ReLo Data policy which is based on the product liability and home loaders safety.

Thank you for understanding,
"

So I'm hoping Norma has got something instead.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Span, since the 4895 & the N135 are right next to each other on the burn-rate chart, you might try to start the N135 out on the minimum charge weights & slowly work your way up. I know Vihtavuori warns against developing load data with the chart, but if you're careful, you should be OK. The decision is yours, of course. jd45

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill see what Norma says. I emailed them today and am still hoping for some old published data from them.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
N210 will work around the same burn rate as Reloader7 and IMR3031 data should be almost the same.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I actually went on the Wayback Machine (internet archive) and looked at archived versions of the VV and Norma sites. No .35 Rem as far back as the archives go. :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually went on the Wayback Machine (internet archive) and looked at archived versions of the VV and Norma sites. No .35 Rem as far back as the archives go. :(
Thanks for taking the time!

I got in touch with the seller. He had some tried loads with Norma 202. He would send them over, I guess I'll still order a couple of cans of some imr powder home in a while. Need some trail boss soon anyway and if I order a couple of cans it's somewhat cheaper...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts