Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so your in the store and see 3 or 4 cans of your powder, would you take all of them or leave some for someone else?
Would you even feel guilty about grabbing them all?

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
If it was my favorite powder than I would buy it all if I was sick of the regular powder hunt, as I am . if it was "just" a powder you could live with than i would save some for others and try a pound.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm usually not a powder hoarder, but after the last couple of years with things being in short supply, I've become one. In 2013, I needed some H-110/WW-296, and searched high and low to no avail. In November, I was in Missouri on my annual deer hunt in the Ozarks, when I checked in a gun shop in Joplin. They did not have H-110/WW-296, but he had beau coups Alliant 2400. Well, I decided to make the proverbial "lemonade", so, I bought 6 of the 1 lb. containers of the 2400. I got the stuff home, after my hunt, and about two months later, one of the LGSs had gotten some 2400 in stock, so, (here's where the hoarder part comes) I bought 3 more pounds. I've worked up some loads for my .44 mag Marlin, and my .45 Colt Rossi that really worked out quite well. I have plenty of 2400 on hand now, but if I see some in a LGS somewhere, I'll do it again.

PS: Anybody seen any HP-38?.........:flute:

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS: Anybody seen any HP-38?.........:flute:
I think that guy before you bought it all up.
BTW, I think 2400 is a great powder for the 44mag 21.5 for the 240gr's and the 45Colt 16.2 for the 300gr's (In a Win 94, too hot for a "peacemaker" copy)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hello, my name is Scott and I am a powder hoarder.
I know where some H4831 is at and this thread is making me want to get in my truck and go buy some. Some RL7 too. I can still picture it sitting on the shelf. Not my shelf. The thought of it makes me antsy. Im starting to get the shakes. Need more powder.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was lucky two and a half years ago and bought enough of my favorit powders to get me through. Genrally, I buy more just because I save alot on Hazmat Fees. My LGS stocks all my powders, so those of us who reload share in the LGS Hazmat fee. Works out well, we have a few reloaders in the area.

For now, I would leave it unless I ordered it. Its a sad state of affairs when you cant get enough of relading materials. That bamboozler in our White House can not leave quick enough, rottern ?#[email protected]+%.

Reactions: WV Mountaineer

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott, you got me thinking of a Pac-Man gobbling up powder cans instead of Pac-Dots.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hello, my name is Scott and I am a powder hoarder.
I know where some H4831 is at and this thread is making me want to get in my truck and go buy some. Some RL7 too. I can still picture it sitting on the shelf. Not my shelf. The thought of it makes me antsy. Im starting to get the shakes. Need more powder.
All we have here in a quantity is IMR3031, and I grabbed another pound today. I left 10 behind. Scott, I will be in AZ on the 6th of October. Please leave a pound or two of the RL7 for me when I get there!:biggrin: Thanks!
P.S. If I find one I am really looking for...yes, I will buy the store limit if they have one.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If I see powder I want, I get it all.... I have enough 2400 to last the rest of my lift time and my sons

Doc

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Sturmgewehr

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Unfortunately I have become a hoarder of more than just powder, I also hoard bullets, primers and 22 ammo. As to the original question I would buy all that I need and hopefully that would leave a couple for someone else.

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
long before the great "component / ammo shortage", I always bought most powders in 4 or 8 lb kegs if it was available, otherwise I bought multiple 1 lb canisters, so I don't think buying 4 at a time is unreasonable

Reactions: Golphin

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Your only a hoarder, if you buy it and have no intentions of using it for many years. I buy all the powder I can find, because I do use it and I want as much of the same Lott number as I can afford.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I dont consider myself a hoarder, but i will, and do buy all that i am allowed for the few specific powders i use.
I have enough of a stash right now that I am not in panic mode. I have enough for a 1 year supply of my average shooting.
I only use 6 different powders now, so I dont just grab every flavor "just in case".
NOW, I am making sure that I will have enough to last a very long time if something bad like this administration happens again.

I leave all the other flavors for someone else, and only focus my hunt on the 6 i like the best.

P.S... Does anyone know where a good supply of Trail Boss can be found?.. I will tell you where you can get more reloader 7, and 15 you could ever need....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have narrowed down to 3 calibers, 30-30, 308, and 44. I am stockpiling for 9 mil by scrounging brass at the range just in case. Good on powder but will not pass on unique when I can find it as it will work for anything I have in an emergency. Would love to find some 2400, down to half a pound.

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
ok, here goes. i was buying powder at local gun/pawn shops last year. it all started in february. i started selling it on GB. I put titegroup on auction & the bidding went up to $160.00! i got hate mail from everyone. i started the bid at $30.00. i didnt ask for it to bid up so high! in the end, i spent all the money i made on more powder, primers & guns. Now i have w-296, aa#9, blue dot, ar-comp, imr-4064, RL#7 & so on. i bought an ar-15, an over-under shotgun & a browning a-bolt medallion. i did feel bad for a bit, but i realized i was getting powder for those who couldnt. they were all happy in the end. & so was i.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts