Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad on Armslist for powder:

"I have 30 pounds of Unique smokeless powder in 1 pound containers. $40 per pound"

As you can see the scalpers have made their way from 22LR bullets and graduated to powder. The sad thing is, I think I'll have to buy it at $40 if it doesn't get better soon. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
465 Posts
The sad thing is, I think I'll have to buy it at $40 if it doesn't get better soon. :ahhhhh:
No you don't. I fired 7 rounds of centerfire ammo last year. 5 at deer......killed 4 missed one. Two were expended to check zero before the season started. Next year, I am skipping the test shots....I know the rifles are on, and I have not forgotten how to shoot a deer. This is the way our grandparents (well at least mine anyway) looked at ammo. They used it for killing food not plinking for amusement. My Grandfather used to tell me how everything was rationed in WW2 and ammo was one of the many things they could not get. So, pretend you are fighting the Nazis like they were......hell in reality you DON'T have to pretend, you are!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

"I have 30 pounds of Unique smokeless powder in 1 pound containers. $40 per pound"

As you can see the scalpers have made their way from 22LR bullets and graduated to powder. The sad thing is, I think I'll have to buy it at $40 if it doesn't get better soon. :ahhhhh:

This is sad.......but true

The price on all reloading components has risen drastically in the last year. It makes a fellar want to resort to shooting 22 only,......oh, wait......they rip us off there, too

My next gun will be a Daisy...........I just hope that they don't start hoarding BBs.......

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess): If reloaders would not but components at these prices, the scalpers would soon drastically lower their asking prices....

As far as rising prices, it started way before the last year. Up here, inflated asking/selling prices of firearms/components/ammunition started when it became apparent that Obama would be the Democratic nominee in '08. At that time, I still attended the local gun show and after Obama's nomination, I recall primer prices increasing about $20.00 per K, with powder, bullets, and loaded ammunition not far behind. This trend continued well on into his first term with all the talk about re-enacting the Assault Weapons Bill and all the media/blog/internet rumors of more stringent firearms control. And I heard the same thing from Fellow Shooters in other states.

Then the "icing on the cake" was the December 2012 school shooting and all heck broke loose with buyers. The day after the school shooting, a local gun shop had people waiting in line to buy ammunition/reloading components, etc., well before the 9:00 AM opening time. Within a week dealers like Midway, Cabela's, Graf, etc., were reporting that certain items were out of stock. And the situation became worse as far as availability. It seems to be letting up some, but shortages and increased prices are still something to contend with.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Woooooo...Slow down now.... be patient.. Go on several web sites and get on e-mail list. When they come available order at least 3 if not 4 1lb cans at a time to save on your hazmat fee. Or go with 8lbs if ya can. Go to gun shows... do some trading with friends... Don't let the scalpers have their glory. CWT

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or do what I have done - switched to either black powder or surplus military pulldown powder for pretty much everything. I shoot a lot, for next to nothing, and have a great time with it. Oh, I make the black powder, costs me about $2/lb. WC860 from Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett costs $6.25/lb.

If you like, Blackhorn209 also works in pretty much any metallic cartridge also. It's expensive but still easily available.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Much of the powder for sale in these parts is close to $40 once you add taxes. I pay the price, because I do nor imagine that prices are going to come down any time soon.

Reactions: rn918

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
At the gunshow this weekend there was the expected scalpers wanting $38 for a lb of Unique.
I found my "suppliers" at the show and got a lb of Unique and a lb of Blue Dot $20 each out the door.
They did say however that it appears H110, Lil' Gun and 2400 are unobtanium at the moment. :(
Sure glad I have a reserve... The great thing about Unique is it's economical and works in everything I have.
The lb I bought was just to keep the reserves up to snuff.
STILL looking for PowerPistol or Bullseye...

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
So far I have been able to buy "some" commerical ammo at a price that negates purchasing reloading supplies. I shoot 30-30 150 grain at the range for practice (which I need). I have been searching for a job but still no luck finding anything here in the middle of Central PA that is actually worth starting up a car to drive to and fro and work. So the amount of times I can afford to go down the range for some fun will have to wait until I have money.

I had bought some boxes of Federal (Blue Box) at a Gun Show for $15 a box, as well as reloads by a guy that reloads for customers of a LGS.

Until the supplies are a better value than what I can buy commercial ammo for cash, I am standing pat.

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My local LGS, is also a big regional supplier for Glock. Sales have slowed so much, he let his two shop sales employees go, only keeping his gunsmith, but slow there to. He thinks it has more to do with a slow economy, than folks desire to purchase weapons. Did find plenty of power, bullets and primers at the local show (Northern Virginia) this week, basically no rifle cases (thankfully did have 30-30 and 35Rem). Powder $25.00 lb, primers a $32.00 a thousand, bullets still high at 25-30 a hundred for name brand jacketed rifle bullets. Show was not very crowded, not nearly as crowded as was the case last year, not much buying going on. About 50 black rifles or pistols for every wood stocked hunting rifle or revolver . Loaded ammo in hunting calibers scarce and very high priced. Very good used JM 336 at $425, 444 and 1895s and average Savage 99s at $700 !!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know things are in short supply in some areas, but I would look very hard for another source of Unique before paying $40 a pound for it. As for the prices having gone up, they have but not so terribly much as some folks think. I just bought 2 pounds of WW 748 for $27 a pound which is....what $3 more per pound than it was 5 years ago. Also have 8 pounds of IMR 4198 waiting for me @ $160 which doesn't seem out of line to me either.

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
So far I have been able to buy... "
That's really the key phrase you should think hard about...
Reloading supplies are starting to get scarce so at the time you can't get ammo again then you'll likely be SOL for reloading supplies.
Independence isn't just about your freedoms - it's also about your actions and choices.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Many pistol powders on the shelves at LGS in your area, Unique is a good powder of many uses and in demand.

However you need to go to other sources to get scalpers to get off this trend.

For substitutes uses in rifles and some pistols for light end loads, good place to visit is Gregs Levergun Performance Studies.

Lever Gun Performance Studies

·
Registered
726 Posts
My main problem is with supplies for the 444. I've had reloader 7 on back order for well over a year now. I've no need to pay scalper prices for it as I have plenty of H322 and 335 but my R7 is empty. I'm down to 8 or 9 hundred primers so Ill probably get another thousand as available. It appears that I'm having good luck with the beeartooth bullets and so if my next round of testing with them holds true I will order more of them and so no worries for bullets either. 22's are starting to get low but the only LR's Ive seen were way over priced and I just won't pay it. I did see some shorts at wally world a couple of months ago but I passed on them as I prefer LR. Folks keep sayinmg that hoarders are the problem but from what I've seen the stuff just isn't getting to the shelves for the horders to hoard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At the gunshow this weekend there was the expected scalpers wanting $38 for a lb of Unique.
I found my "suppliers" at the show and got a lb of Unique and a lb of Blue Dot $20 each out the door.
They did say however that it appears H110, Lil' Gun and 2400 are unobtanium at the moment. :(
Sure glad I have a reserve... The great thing about Unique is it's economical and works in everything I have.
The lb I bought was just to keep the reserves up to snuff.
STILL looking for PowerPistol or Bullseye...
I think most of the reason the magnum pistol powders are in such great demand is the popularity of the 300 blackout.

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
I think most of the reason the magnum pistol powders are in such great demand is the popularity of the 300 blackout.
I'da thunk that H110 and such would be preferred over fast burning powders like Power Pistol and Bullseye....

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
check out Gun Broker.... Scalpers are wide spread on that site...

I check Recobs site daily and have purchased over 100lbs of powder in the last year (of course I had to move it out of state because of Ca laws.... :( ) And I didnt pay 40.00 per pound...

Doc

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'da thunk that H110 and such would be preferred over fast burning powders like Power Pistol and Bullseye....
I don't see that. Most everybody I see at the range is shooting an auto pistol, and Power Pistol, Bullseye, and others are the preferred powders for those guns chambered in 9mm, fo-tay, and 45 ACP. Those same shooters look at me like I'm from Mars with a pull and touch off one of my 357 or 44 mags. They become fascinated that someone would shoot at distances of more than 10 yds. They stop shooting and start watching.....it becomes a show........

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woooooo...Slow down now.... be patient.. Go on several web sites and get on e-mail list. When they come available order at least 3 if not 4 1lb cans at a time to save on your hazmat fee. Or go with 8lbs if ya can. Go to gun shows... do some trading with friends... Don't let the scalpers have their glory. CWT
I went to several gun shows and it seems the only thing being produced now are rifle powder brands. I agree with CWT and have jumped on the waiting lists of several distributors. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.