Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setup to load in my unfinished basement (concrete/stone). It's not like moldy or real wet but I sometimes think it's humid/damp.
I store the primers in the boxes they come in, inside ammo cans, powder in original cans inside a hutch/china cabinet. Some powder also in ammo cans.

How do you guys store your powder/primers to keep'em dry and safe:questionmark:

Thanks... :tee:
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CT
Thanks! Yeah I just worry about where I had it originally. It wasn't really damp damp, but just feel better getting it in a nice Dry Area!
I've moved it to an upstairs closet now, should be good in there...
No sense losing/ruining a bunch of components for nothing, especially these days!!!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I'm fortunate that mine is in my office in the house. I like the Pantry idea tho:biggrin:.

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm setup to load in my unfinished basement (concrete/stone). It's not like moldy or real wet but I sometimes think it's humid/damp.
I store the primers in the boxes they come in, inside ammo cans, powder in original cans inside a hutch/china cabinet. Some powder also in ammo cans. How do you guys store your powder/primers to keep'em dry and safe:questionmark: Thanks... :tee:
BloodGroove4570
BG4570...My setup is in my basement just like yours. Not damp at all but it is under ground. I had some cci primers and some 4064 I got back in about 1990.. had them in a paper bag all those year in the back of closet down there... loaded it up in 30-06 loads about 2 months ago. It all went BOOOOM! I'll have to stay in the basement.. It's all I got. :biggrin:
If in doubt, get a dehumidifier .. They work great about getting any moisture out of the air. CWT

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
All my stuff is in my basement too. Guns, powder,primers, I run a dehumidifier and AC. It's nicer than the upper part of house as far as being cool in summer. I've never had any problems and have lived here right at 25 yrs. I couldn't do it without the dehumidifier though. I also run the ceiling fan 24/7 in spring and summer. I keep a humidity gauge on the wall for reference. I'd say any space underground level needs a dehumidifier

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
CT
Thanks! Yeah I just worry about where I had it originally. It wasn't really damp damp, but just feel better getting it in a nice Dry Area!
I've moved it to an upstairs closet now, should be good in there...
No sense losing/ruining a bunch of components for nothing, especially these days!!!

BloodGroove4570
Primers I keep in x51 ammo cans with good seals and I drop egg sized descecant packs in those.

Powder is not the problem it used to be now that it comes in plastic. Metal cans were a problem because they would rust, plus a lot of flexing between seasons caused the joints to fail at times.

·
Registered
525 Posts
BG all my reloading equipment is in the garage and separate shop out back, neither of which has heat or ac. Powder is kept inside the house in one closet and primers in another closet. I'm more concerned about the heat than anything else. I'm still using primers and powder from the 1970's without any issues. Mark.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
You cant store ammo components in N.Y. or you might get a visit from the commie police!!! send it all out here and I will keep it dry and safe for ya!!

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You cant store ammo components in N.Y. or you might get a visit from the commie police!!! send it all out here and I will keep it dry and safe for ya!!

Doc
What they don't know won't hurt'em!
Only got .25# & my primers are All Bad! :flute:
No need to replenish after that Horrible Boating Accident! :ahhhhh:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I tell ya, we all need to stay off those dang boats while cleaning our guns and holding on to our primers and powders.... I didnt want all my stuff to be stolen when I went to clean my guns on the boat so I took it all with me... who woulda thunk that the boat woulda sunk? :flute:

That offer was a funny since Hellifornia is worse then the Commie state of N.Y.

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang Doc
Sorry to hear you had a Very Similar ACCIDENT/MisHap/Event happen to you!!! :dontknow:

Hope you recover OK! :tee:

Yeah I had a Lil'Chuckle thinkin about what you said! We Both live in some FINE areas!.. :argh:..:banghead:..:banghead:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Dang Doc
Sorry to hear you had a Very Similar ACCIDENT/MisHap/Event happen to you!!! :dontknow:

Hope you recover OK! :tee:

Yeah I had a Lil'Chuckle thinkin about what you said! We Both live in some FINE areas!.. :argh:..:banghead:..:banghead:
Yeah, but at least im getting out of Hellifornia in the next year even if I have to go before the wife does.... I wont live in this state any later then sometime next year....

Doc

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hey Doc, I hope that the EPA doesn't find out about you polluting the waters with your nasty ole guns and gunpowder etc.
Um, I was in international waters... yeah, yeah thats where I was

Doc

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
A friend stores his welding rods, primers, and powder is an old refrigerator. He purchased a small refrigerator at a second-hand appliance store, tore out the "innards", and installed a low wattage/Christmas tree light bulb to provide some heat to retard moisture.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Like you... in the original pack, split up by type in ammo cans with a good seal. I have some primers that are over 20 years old that have been in the Texas heat & humidity as well as the Ohio cold that 'light the fire' just as well as the ones I just bought off the shelf.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.