Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gents. I was given this Alliant / Unique powder. Its nearly full and was opened at some point. I can't tell from the label what part number / application / age. Not a strong odor to it like newer powder. Possibly shotgun powder?
Automotive tire Tire Gadget Gas Tread
Seasoning Plant Spice Ingredient Food

Liquid Fluid Yellow Drink Automotive tire

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
It was given the name Unique because it was usable for multiple applications, including shotgun and handgun.

It's a common powder and reloading data can be found in multiple reloading manuals.

Being packed in a plastic bottle, it's not all that old. Probably since 1980 or so. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, as long as you are sure your friend hasn't mixed it or replaced it with another powder.

I've got powders from that 60s that I will still use.

Indications of decomposition are a strong acrid smell and a brownish powder or dust when the powder (looks like rust) is poured out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks guys! Just for clarification is it a certain Unique part number? Or just the original Unique formula?

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Awesome thanks guys! Just for clarification is it a certain Unique part number? Or just the original Unique formula?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. "Unique" is just the name of the powder. Like:

Bullseye
Tightgroup
Clays
Retumbo
Varget

etc... Some powders have names some have numbers. "Unique" has been around a long time, I've been using it since the 1970's.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Bullseye and Unique came out about two years apart around 1895 or so with Bullseye first and Unique following two years later. Both are just as good and those times so long ago. They still have samples of the original Bullseye and Unique stored underwater. About every ten years or so they remove some of the powder and dry it and run test loads using the original to compare against the latest lot. For all practical purposes, they are exactly alike. I think they may do the same for 2400 as well. All three powers are double based which seem to store much better even under some adverse conditions. To be perfectly honest, Unique is one of my favorite powders for handguns and some rifle shooting. (Cast bullet loads) While I prefer 2400 for my full power handgun loads (.357 and 44 magnums) I probably burn more Unique in all my handgun rounds than anything else.
Paul B.

·
Super Moderator
6,102 Posts
I've only been re-loading for 11 years, but I cut my teeth on Unique. In those years I've used it very successfully in every caliber I load for: .38 spl, .357 mag, 9mm, .45 auto, .44 spl, .44 mag and 30-30 win. It's proven to be "not the absolute best" in any of them, but "absolutely works" in all of them when properly applied.

I wouldn't hesitate to use old stock Unique as long as I knew it was properly care for through the years. As long as it doesn't have a "rusty appearance" or a foul odor, I build a couple of test rounds to be sure, the use it.

jd

1 - 20 of 47 Posts