Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up my Dillon 550 to load 45-70. In checking tha accuracy of my powder measure I find it is throwing charges plus minus .1 Grains. with A .2 grain spread.
Is this enough to worry about? I am using Reloader 7.
I know some use powder tricklers and weigh every charge to the 1/10. More equipment just ain't gonna happen right now.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If your loading 45/70 your throwing large charges; 0.1 gr. is less than 1% of your charge, that isn't going to make very much difference. If you loading for benchrest shooting 0.1 gr might make a difference. I try to keep my loads within a 1/2 of a tenth, if I notice. If I'm loading for my 9mm it makes more of a difference, if I'm loading for my 35 Rem a tenth of a grain doesn't make much difference. But you have to make yourself happy. Some powder meters better than others, extruded powder if often less precise, flake powder can be really aggravating. I guess that's why a lot of serious pistol shooters use the bushing powder measures.

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
NO.

Reloader 7 is one of the better metering powders out there. Had you been using IMR 4064, you wouldn't have received plus or minus tenth grain repeatability.

With only a tenth grain variation, it is very possible that the variation in velocity will be indistiguishable from weighed charges, and it might even be less than exactly weighing charges when lot variations are considered, as volume tends to vary less than weight. Powder dryness affects weight more than volume.

Your rifle isn't that sensitive in discerning tenth grain variations on a, say, 45 to 50 grain charge of Reloder 7.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I could be all wet but, I tend to be more careful when at or near max charge so as to not go over pressure. Also with faster burning powder that take less charge weight. The smaller the charge the smaller the increments are percentage wise. One tenth grain of a 5 grain charge of fast burn powder is a bigger % than one tenth grain of a 50 grain charge of slow burn powder.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess I overlooked the part where you said Reloader #7; I use a lot of that in 35 Rem for everyday shooting. For an extruded powder it meters very well - I usually get less than a tenth of a grain of difference. I still keep checking, because things can change. If I have just adjusted my meter it takes a few rounds to get things setteled in and I often go 50 - 60 rounds with ± 1/20 of a grain ( I use an old, but still accurate Ohaus 5-0-5).

·
Administrator
23,772 Posts
+- 4/10ths is no problem. Reloader 7 will hold 2/10s with my Redding Master Measure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts