Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started reloading and am going to start making my own 45-70 rounds. I will be shooting cast lead bullets for CAS as well as heavier jacketed bullets for hunting. I currently use Trail Boss boss for my 357 Mag loads. Can I get some suggestions for 45-70?

Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've been using IMR4198, it shoots well for me from 35-41gr.
I've heard good things about IMR3031 and H4895 too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trail Boss works quite well for cas. But for hunting the standard fair over here is AR2207(H4198)from all the guys I've talked to. Have been looking at reloading for this caliber for quite a while, but a combination of factors have prevented me so far. The main one being the hornady's are so good and well priced, cost of bullets alone over here would make your eyes water sometimes.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
I use H4198 for my 444, 45/70 & 450 loads. Excellent performance in each. Not the only powder around but most often available over others regardless of where I shop.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
1895Gunner said:
I use H4198 for my 444, 45/70 & 450 loads. Excellent performance in each. Not the only powder around but most often available over others regardless of where I shop.

1895gunner
I also use H4198 in my .444 and .45/70 along with Unique for light loads.

·
Registered
603 Posts
hey .DT, do you use a buffer in your Unique loads?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm not DT...but I don't use any buffers with Unique...except for lapping loads. (in lapping loads...its more of a "wiper" than a buffer)

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Nope, never tried a filler with those light loads yet. My .444 which i have shot the most with those light loads at 50 yds will clover leaf or better as is, I always lift my rifle straight up then ease it down on the bags which puts all my powder at the primer then as I ease it down it settles a similar way each time, I think John Kort posted that on here way back and I started doing it that way.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've only been reloading for the .45-70 for a couple months, but I HAVE been using Trail Boss, and I'm really happy with it. The loads I found are FOR CAS, and whoever it was (don't remember at the moment) recommended 13-14gr for the 405gr cast. Now, the people who make Trail Boss say you can find the max load by finding the bottom of the bullet when seated to the depth that you're going to load, and then figure on filling the available space with Trail Boss. (Don't compress, and don't EVER use a filler.) That's a WHOLE lot more than 13-14gr, so I don't have a clue what the recoil would be at that level. I plan on sticking with 13-14gr, maybe up to 15; but that should do quite well for deer & hogs at the limited ranges around here (Texas' Highland Lakes district, just west of Austin).

That said, I HAVE loaded some test cartridges with H322, but haven't taken them to the range yet, so I don't really know how they'll do.

Good luck with yours.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
So far I've used TrailBoss and IMR4198. My 1895CB, and my shoulder, like about 34gr which I worked up from my Lyman manual. TrailBoss is accurate too within the range given by IMR web page. I'll be trying some IMR3031 for my wife's 300HP loads soon. And Hornady has published data for IMR4198 and the 325FTX bullet.

Some of our fellow MO members have strongly suggested a recipe of 2400 for low to mid range loads that you can probably find in a search. I use a lot of 2400 for 357 so I will try some when I get around to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts