Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about powdercoating cast bullets as an alternative to traditional lube. Does anyone here do this? If so, in what manner has it affected your accuracy?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
There are a few of us that do, I am very happy. Post up in the cast section, the main guy is Doc, pick his brain.

Reactions: Soless

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I havent got to the range for rifle testing yet but pistol I see no less accuracy, the only way to tell for sure would be to set up a rig to hold my handgun steady to test both powder coated and lubed (nah, i dont want to do that.)..... I think its easier to say so far handgun accuracy is as good... I hit the target where I aim (Im not doing long distance handgun shooting)

As soon as I can get to a longer range I will be testing all the rifle rounds I have powder coated for the 35 Rem, 45-70 and the 44 Mag...

Doc

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
my 405's powder coated show as good accuracy as lubed. actually better. my mold throws boolits at .4569 and with the powder coating I get them up to .4597 so I'm getting better bore fill. at fifty I'm getting 1.25" consistently and at 100 1.75" I have much more confidence now with accuracy like that. I have cast and reloaded now for 50 years but could never get accuracy like I could with jacketed. I wasn't fitting the bore. makes all the difference in the world.
I have seen no detrimental effects with the PC and am sold on it. run a bore snake through with the brush soaked with Butch's Bore Shine and its done.
I even bought a endoscope and can take pictures of every inch of the bore to keep track of what is happening. that endoscope was cheap from amazon.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
041.JPG 039.JPG 045.JPG will be interesting to see how the 35 with no lube groove performs.

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I am thinking about trying PC tumble coat on some store bought "hard cast" bevel base bullets. Maybe melting out the waxy lube in a warm toaster oven then powder coating. They are .458" and I haven't had outstanding accuracy with them. Might not hurt to give them one coat at maybe .001" and test for any improvement.

The other target is the new Ranch Dog mold for 30-30 I have. The mold should be large enough at .311 but thought about the powder coat to allow me to cast them at a lower bhn like 12-14 and still push them around 2,000 fps. Does that make sense?

Reactions: myflatline

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Yes it does make sense. I had trouble getting an even coat when tumbling, I tend to get a tad anal when I expect one thing and get another. Thus, I bought the spay gun. I'm pushing the 215gr 35's between 1700 and 2000 fps. with good results new cast.jpg . Absolutely no leading.

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Were you just tumbling with the bullets and powder or with the air soft plastic pellets? Doc seems to have good results with the cool whip bowl, powder coat, and black air soft bb's. Smooth, even appearance isn't any concern for me as long as the shoot. And they don't turn out pink.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Were you just tumbling with the bullets and powder or with the air soft plastic pellets? Doc seems to have good results with the cool whip bowl, powder coat, and black air soft bb's. Smooth, even appearance isn't any concern for me as long as the shoot. And they don't turn out pink.
What's the matter, You No Likey PINK Boolits?.?.????? Lol

The Sheeple won't be Near as Scarededed of them Pinky's!!!!! HAHAHAHAAAA lol

Good Stuff
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Doc has had very good luck, I picked his brain, just never got what I wanted. I think everything hinges on static electricity to make the PC stick. Humidity is a big factor, I live in Florida, hence, very high humidity. Give it a go, the PC is $5 at Harbor Freight, I think the airsoft's do 2 things, help keep from denting the bullets and help create static.

Actually want to make some pink one's as a gag.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
My basement has a dehumidifier running most of the time, keeping it around 50% or less. It would be easy to create enough static to do what Doc does down here in the man/dog cave. I may have to order pink powder if I try the powder and it works. My wife's favorite rifle is a 30-30 too. If she sees colored bullets you know where that will lead........

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I tried several different loads with the 444AA and my wife's 444, the powder coated bullets shot patterns not groups at 100yards. This needs more testing!!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Starrbow, all I can say is, at this moment and the success I am having with the 35 powder coated bullets, I don't see any changes in the future.

It may not work for everyone. Do the same bullets lubed shoot better?

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Yep, the lubed bullets shoot steller!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here's some pink for you DSC00698.JPG And some yellow DSC00701.JPG And some burnt orange DSC00700.JPG Just for fun

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
I haven't tried them yet, just coated them yesterday. The pink ones are lee 150 grain 30 cal. The orange ones on the right are lee 113 grain 30 cal. I'm going to try to get them loaded and tried out his week.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I tried the powder coated bullets. The pistol bullets shot real well, the 30 cal 113 grain shot better than the 150 grain at 100 yards.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My bullets do not come out nice and smooth after the tumbling method. How do you apply the electrical charge if you choose to spray on the coating? I have not shot any yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts