Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Powder choices

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Crusty Deary Ol Coot 
#1 ·
I currently reload a number of rifle calibers including .223, .243, .270 Win, 7mm-08, 7x57 (Ruger #1 and 7 mm Remington Rolling Block, Model 1901), 7.62x39, .30-30, and .300 Savage. For those, I have had good results with IMR 4198, Hodgden 4895, IMR 4320, IMR 4350, and Hodgden 4831SC. I don't do any competitive shooting, but do hunt at times with every one of those guns. All except the RB give me less than 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with the loads I have used. I am thinking that I could easily get by with no more than 2-3 of those powders, or possibly consider adding/using IMR 4166 and IMR 4451. Obviously there is a vast difference in pressures for which I load the Ruger and the Rolling Block. Since I don't currently do any handgun or shotgun loading, I think these calibers could be loaded with a slightly faster powder (among those listed) for the .223, 7.62x39, .30-30 and .300 Savage and a mid-range powder (among those listed) for the .243, .270 Win. and RB. The 7mm-08 and 7x57 Ruger could probably use either powder. What thoughts?

#2 ·
Reducing the number of powders one uses sounds attractive until the first time you can't get one of those powders. I still try to use a common one for all rifles with a particular cartridge, but no longer try to use the same powder in multiple problems. In fact I almost have the opposite problem. Too may of my cartridges use a similar burn rate and all have given me their best with W748. Now I try to find substitutes so I can save the W748 for those that really need it.

#3 ·
Doc,

guess you should see my stash of powders!

There are push comes to shove times when some very good powders will cross the selection board with usable push comes to shove loads, just like there are bullets that while not optimum will get er done in that push comes to shove situation.

I have some of both, powders and bullets.

However, I have a real fondness for the Nosler Partitions and if money were no object I'd likely look in that direction as a first choice even though I have a stash of Hornady Interlock as I consider them to be a good cup and core bullet.

I've got such things as H4831 on the shelf and for many of my typical high velocity centerfires that powder would get er done if push came to shove.

But, as I and the rest of us are not currently in that type of situation, I prefer to work toward optimizing loads in a given rifle, the first desire is for GOOD accuracy followed by good velocity at safe levels.

So, even though I have powders that would safely function in a range of firearms, at this point in time I'll continue to work towards optimum performance even if that means adding another powder to my already crowded powder shelf.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#4 ·
IMR-3031 is a good powder for lots of calibers. I think it is about the first powder that most of us started loading with. With me it was a 308 Win. I use Varget for lots of calibers now along with H-4831. The varget works good with quite a few cals, I mainly load it in 223, 22-250 and 7-08 and 338 Federal. I stick with the H-4831 for 270 Win and 280 Rem and 7Mag. There are better powders for the calibers I listed I am sure but it is just kinda what you get used to. I forgot IMR-4350 and H-4350 (jam up powders both of them)

#5 ·
I have found the basic powders for my loading enjoyment are imr-3031,h4895,N-140 are my go to powders. I have loads for most of my rifles that are excellent using these powders. for the pistols seems so far blue dot and 800x are working for the 45 acp.

My buddy has been playing around with some of the newer flavors out there, no complaints from him so far.I don't figger on re-inventing the wheel with my loads, I just want a good bullet/powder combo that gives me the accuracy I want. I have found that in most of my calibers Ken Waters tested all of them extensively and I pick one of his loads and it usually works fine with no adjustment.

The only exception is LeverRevolution powder. I bought it to try in the 32 spl. but did not like the high pressure of the round using jacketed bullets. the primers were all backing out a bit. even when I backed off the loads same problem. I quit using in the 32 spl but found it works like a champ in the 35 remington. the 32 spl likes n-140 with cast bullets 1500-1600 fps.

so no real need to look for new powders unless I run out and can't get my usual. but I think I am pretty well stocked right now

#6 ·
so no real need to look for new powders unless I run out and can't get my usual.
That's the whole point in trying something new once and a while. There will be another shortage. If things continue on their current path the next shortage will be an attempted permanent one.

#7 ·
IMR3031, H110, RX22 do it all for me.
30-30 Win, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 44 Mag, 45-70 GVT.
I don't waste components or barrel steel trying to shave 1/2" @ 100 yds off my groups.
My guns are freezer filling tools nothing else.

#11 ·
I use ‘the load’ (13 grains 1.9cc Lee dipper of Red Dot) behind a 350 or 405 grain hard cast (BNH:18) in the 1895GS for plinking, shooting rabbits, taking the heads off of grouse for the camp stew pot.
No gas check required.
1100-1300 fps.
Pretty accurate ... no leading ... good way to hone shooting skills.
‘The load’ has been around for years.

#12 ·
Doc,

Here is a link to a Reloading Forum Post that has many powder manuals and other references. In addition to manuals, it has a link to a powder burn rate chart you may find useful. It appears your current powders do not overlap. There may not be much room to trim the inventory.

I am currently testing some of the new enduron powders in my 6.5x57R, a civilian 6.5mm based on the 7x57R from 1893. It is to early to tell if they are any better than other IMR powders in the same burn rate.

BTW: If your Rem RB has a longer barrel, you may be running out of gas before the bullet leaves the barrel causing large fps differences shot to shot as the barrel heats up. If it does, try a powder that is slower and see if that improves accuracy. If you have not tried 4831, you should. If you have, try a lighter bullet and/or slower powder.

#14 ·
My Remington Rolling Block appears to be a military version (has a bayonet lug), barrel is 30" (breech to muzzle). I have loaded 168 gr. cast bullets with gas checks from Montana Bullet Works over 32 gr. of IMR 4350 with CCI 200 primer and get 1716 fps from that load. Recoil is almost nonexistent with that load. The sources I had seen advised a bullet in that weight range. Thanks for the input. By the way, the link to the Reloading Forum Post did not appear for me.

#15 · (Edited)
Doc,

So you have an older rolling block, not a modern reproduction.

If you use a faster powder with the cast bullet, you may find improvements in accuracy. I assumed, incorrectly, you have a modern rifle. 4198, 5744, and 4227 should be good options for cast bullets in the 7x57 at mid velocity ranges. My Lyman manual indicates 20.0gr of 5744 under a 160gr GC bullet is the most accurate load at around 1,700 fps and that is the starting load at only 21,600 cup.

My best cast load for my single shot 6.5x57 is with a 155gr Lyman GC bullet over 18.0 gr of H-4198 moving at 1,600 fps. I was very happy with the results, .31" @ 50 meters and just under 1" at 100 meters.

Here is the link again. Good Luck.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/281290-line-free-load-data-references.html

Reactions: DocHunter
#16 ·
Sgt,

I have not used that powder. 100% of my 45-70 reloading is with cast plain base bullets and paper patch bullets. I load for lever silhouette match work only. Trail Boss and Herco for subsonic then Unique, 4198, 5744, and SR-4759 for mid range fps loads. I do not load for hunting performance.

The biggest hoot that always draws attention are the paper patch bullets. A 230 gr 45 Colt cast bullet paper patched moving around 1,600 fps with 14 gr of unique gets the job done through the full course of fire with light recoil in the 1886 Win.

#19 ·
Has anyone tried loading the Woodleigh 300 or 405 grain Weldcore bullets for their 45-70 Marlin 1895, G, GS with IMR-3031?
I notice the Woodleigh Loading Manual doesn’t have a single IMR powder in it for anything.

#20 ·
I thought I’d compare the 45-70 data in the Woodleigh Loading Manual to the Hodgdon online data and it is IDENTICAL.
Would anybody who thinks this is pure coincidence please PM me because I own a bridge over San Francisco Bay called the Golden Gate I’d like to sell you.:itsme:

Reactions: sgt_zim
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.