Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use the same powder for your 1894C and your 357 handgun. In looking at my reloading manuals most show different powders for the different guns. I usually use a fast powder like Unique, or 700X for my handgun, would this be a wise choice for the rifle also. I am looking for something I can reload for both guns. I have Speer golddots and Hornady XTP's in 125 and 158 grains to use for bullets. I am just concerned that I should use a slower powder for the rifle. Thanks for any help on this matter,

Jazzman

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use Lil'Gun in my 1894C. 18 gr. for 158 gr. jacketed, 15 gr. for 180 gr.

·
Registered
422 Posts
H110 and 2400 work well out of both pistol and rifle with jacketed 158's and 180's. I don't shoot many bullets lighter than these.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You didn't say for what purpose you're wanting a load in both guns for?

Like Hobie said, if you're looking for full house performance on deer sized critters, then Lil' Gun will be hard to beat in both guns with 158g bullets(SP's are my favorites). 17.5g of Lil' Gun with Remington 158g SP's, and CCI 550 primers gives me 1400 fps from my 5.5" Blackhawk, and the same combo gives me around 1880 fps in my 1894C(18.5" barrel).

If you're looking for a good cheap, but extremely accurate plinking, or smaller game load then try this...

125g Remington SP's(bulk/Midway)
CCI 550 primers
7.5g of Unique

This load gives me just under 1500 fps from my rifle, and around 1200 fps in my Blackhawk. It's very accurate in both, and is a fine plinking, or hunting load for critters like groundhogs, *****, and such. This load runs me just under $4 a box of 50.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am looking mainly for plinking but if the lighter 125's are not accurate in the rifle then I will go to the 158's as I have both in stock.
Thanks again,

Jazzman

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some W231 that I will give a try. I guess from the answers I can see that it really does not matter if you use a fast burning powder such as 231 or a slower powder such as Lil' gun, that is what I was curious about since most rifle powders are the slower burning types of powders. Thanks for the advice,

Jazzman

·
Registered
688 Posts
I haven't seen an inaccurate load.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I only shoot 158's or 180's and have had great success with H110, Lil' Gun and most of all 2400. Super accurate loads.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I still use Unique for some loads, but have found Power Pistol to do very well out of rifles and revolvers. Good load density, excellent velocity, and it meters really well. My next powder purchase is an 8-pounder of it. And Jerry's right, the bulk Remington 125's and 158's are great bullets for the money. I buy a couple thousand at a time from Midway.

PJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts