Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Spanish Made, .45cal Philadelphia Derringer, Percussion Pistol.
Anyone Know what the Proper Powder Charge is for this size Pistol?
From what I can Find, so far, is 20-40gr FFFg (From Goex Load Chart for .45 Cap & Ball)
Was Thinking about Starting w/ 20gr & going up in 5gr Increments.
Any Input/Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated.
It's a Really Nice Lil' Gun & I'm really lookin' forward to Shootin' it.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I remember right, 15 to 25 grains is about right for that derringer. Just remember the black powder rule, compressed with NO air gap. One of the beauties of black powder--can tweak the load up a little or reduce load down as long as have enough to get the ball out of the barrel! Air gaps, either within the powder or between the powder and ball is what will get people into trouble. If not tried the American Pioneer Powder substitute , might give it a try. I like it best of all the substitutes. Less fowling and easy cleanup too boot.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Forty grains would be a powerhouse. As always, starting low and working up should reveal the best accuracy/power range. Thirty grains should be a good starting point.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat/Rick,
I was Thinkin' that 30gr FFFg May Be Just Right.
I'm Guessin' it would be about Same Power as a 44 Special at Close Range.
Gonna use a Wonderlube Patch & Pure Lead RoundBall.
Should be Just Right for Greeting Unwanted Visitors at the Door.
US58

·
Registered
849 Posts
30 is way more'n ye'll want; most of us that shoot blackpowder competition stay low fer best accuracy anyhow, but 20 grains of FFFg is a BIG plenty; 10 or 15'd be better. 20's all i use in my .45 competition pistol, and that'n weighs as much as a 44 mag. if ye like fireworks, use more--it'll belch flame halfway to yer target, but you'll never hit nuthin'. even 20 won't burn in that short'a barrel, but 20'd be a killing load fer under th' poker table bizness. might light yer pants on fire, but at that point ye might not care. by the way, i just won a ruger old army .44 at a rondyvoo--if ye know anybody that wants one, let me know, ok?
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Windy,
Maybe 20grs. IS More Reasonable.
Now Ya got me Thinkin' that I Should Start w/ 10grs & Work Up a Few Grains at a Time.
Don't wanna Break my Hand w/ the Darn thang.
Or, ...Catch My Pants on Fire :vollkommenauf:
US58

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
From personal experience I would not go with heavy loads in that style of pistol. Take a long look at the grain through the grip. I have seen them break by shooters using too tight a patch-ball combo. These were more like a .25 auto than a 9MM. What my buddy called a gettemoffyagun.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still Haven't Shot this thing. Keep forgettin' to get some Round Balls from my Dad.
Maybe I just Need to put it in the Jeep. That way I'll have it with me next time I'm visiting.
That's If I Remember to Think about it when I'm there. :hmmmm:
This "Gettin' Old"[email protected] Sucks :shot:
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Windy, I don't need a ROA, but I've been keeping an eye peeled for a mississippi rifle in .54. DGW want's a thousand plus for their's and that's just too rich for my blood.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Pat/Rick,
HUH ?.............
Say Wha' ?......:hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Pat/Rich,
HUH ?.............
Say Wha' ?......:hmmmm:
Just responding to Windy's inquiry about knowing anybody who want's a Ruger Old Army (ROA). I don't need one, I have four BP revolver's , but I am looking for a replica of a M-1841 Percussion Rifle, known as a "mississippi rifle" or a ''jager''. Origionally issued in .54 caliber, some were rebored to .58 by the CSA for the civil war. After the Mexican-American War, surplus rifle's were sold at cost with accoutrement's,($13.00) to settler's heading west prior to the civil war. Alot of history associated with those musket's.

Or a M-1855 (.58), with a long range rear sight. They were used here in Washington during the Battle of Four Lakes and other skirmishes during our short frontier war period. origional's were fitted with the "Maynard Tape Priming System". It was scraped in favor of the more durable.percussion cap's

More gun's than money, an old problem. Of course a couple more replica revolver's would be nice along with a sharp's, rolling block, trap door, or high wall in .45-70. The earlier gun's have more appeal to me.

Now that I've totally hijacked the thread, ( you did ask, LOL!) I'll stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts