578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any magic for em?
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
When you say magic, are you saying that because you have trouble making them or you want a way to spice them up? As far as recipes go, all you need are 2 pounds of taters, 1 egg and 1 onion. If you enjoy a lot of work, grate the onion and potatoes, add the beaten egg, put some oil to cover a frying pan and cook both sides till browned.

If you are like me (slightly lazy), then get out the food processor and the shredding blade and get busy with the taters and onions instead of the grater. Follow the rest of the recipe above.

Extras to add the sky's the limit. Green onions, red peppers, etc. Now me give me a stack of the ones above with a small bowl of sour cream and I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
We always just made 'em plain like drjjpdc says then sprinkle with a little salt and enjoy. Fancy was putting a dab of sour cream on 'em. Our neighbor used to put home made strawberry or raspberry jelly on them and I thought that was gross until I tried it. Wasn't bad. Still prefer just some salt and sour cream.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drjjpdc said:
When you say magic, are you saying that because you have trouble making them or you want a way to spice them up?
They're a great way to use up potatoes, and I like em well enough, but can't help thinking that they could use a little spicing up.
I'm not much for sweet stuff like jelly and/or syrup on em, but Sour Cream does sound good.
I might try it with some hot peppers mixed in the batter.

Any body else?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
So far so good. Just change the oil to left over bacon grease and you have my grandmothers recipe. Flavorings have always been salt, pepper, sour cream, and/or ketchup. (The ketchup is a byproduct of my childhood and not a "traditional" accessory, but I'll always have it with mine.) They're also great with runny egg yolk. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
MyDogsHunt, I grate the potatoes and onions, add salt, pepper,an egg scrambled and combine into potato pancakes. I fry them on a skillet. I enjoy either adding sour cream or apple sauce on to them. Marla

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats pretty much what I do Marla,,, although I add a couple spoons of pancake batter. Makes em stay togeather.
Applesauce doesn't sound bad.
I tried Sour Cream a couple days ago. Didn't have any peppers on hand so I threw in some Cajun seasoning. That and the Sour Cream were definatly an improvement.
Saw a recipe on-line with smoked Salmon and Sour Cream on top. I'm gonna try it along with my "Cajun" batter if I can remember to buy some Lox the next time I go to town. This one might be a good camp breakfast as long as one did the grating at home. I grate up a bunch and keep the extra in water in a plastic container anyway.
Charlie

·
Registered
723 Posts
I make them the same way, and add a couple of diced fresh Jalapeno's and fresh garlic to the mix. After frying them up I also top with sour cream. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie I'd have to say onions, jalapenos, and maybe a touch of cayene pepper would put em about right. I might beat up a few eggs to stir into the mix to hold em together and I'd add some real butter to my oil when I cooked em too.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea Jesse. I always beat a egg or two and then throw in a couple spoons of Bisquick or even flour if I don't have any pancake mix on hand.
Still want to try some jalapenos, but I gotta say, the Cajun seasoning and Sour Cream was a big improvement.
I'm not looking to reinvent the potato or anything, but as a bachelor, a ten pound bag of potatoes can be more than a lifetime supply. I hate wasting food so I was just looking for something different to do with em.

GeeWizz,,,,, a little minced garlic's a no brainer. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I just remembered the ultimate addition that no one (included me) mentioned...crumbled bacon!! ;D

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you want something different try sweet potato pancakes. They give a different texture and are not as dry. They don't need as much water to make the batter when they are fresh. Marla

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Great idea, Marla. I'll have to try them with some butter and real maple syrup. :)

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Tried them this morning...got a bit too much onion in them. Sour cream was very good on them!

·
Registered
244 Posts
try them along a beef roast - done rare with lots of juice. Use the beef juice and eat with horseradish - preferably the kind that causes pain! :-X

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Shred the taters, onions sliced with long thin pieces, brown while cooking link sausage, add the salt and pepper, optional is bacon bits and such mix in with your favorite pancake mix. I like to pan fry some link breakfast sausage first and use the drippings to fry the cakes then roll the sausage in the cakes. Grand kids came home telling their folks how good they were.
But then they liked whole wheat soft tortilla shells with cheese, onions, mustard, catsup, wrapped around open fire roasted hot dog. Got a couple of families hooked on them. My wife and I tried it one night when we had the above ingredients as leftovers.

Other options I've tried over the years include, apple pancakes, with and without walnuts/sunflower seeds ect, if it tastes good it still will in a pancake. Have, one regret many times I've had to eat them plain.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
A good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes as well. Add an egg or two and a bit of flour to bind it all together. That's how Mom did it and what I follow. Even make extra mashed spuds when I'm wanting them. +1 on apple sauce/butter, pear butter, any berry or jam or just mixing with the yolk. Lifes to short not to eat good food.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
never had potato pancakes before i read this. try them and they are good, thx

·
Registered
584 Posts
I do them two ways.
1. Shred raw potatoes in water to get the starch out of them and then wring them out. Season with Cajun seasoning and fry up in a bit of olive oil. Serve with bacon and eggs.

This one I do with leftover mashed potatoes. My mashed potatoes are always done with onions and garlic.
Sometimes I'll add poached fish to make fish cakes for a supper meal. Season with pepper and paprika.
Fry up in a little butter.
or
Make patties and fry up in butter or margerine. Cajun seasoning works well with this as well. Good for breakfast or supper.

·
Registered
702 Posts
fine cornmeal instead of lour.
grated onion and sweet pepper and as said before a large egg.
give me sausage, gravy and sunnyside eggs along with. hold you for a long time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts