Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
That is a new one on me, never heard of doing that, very interesting though, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this. I would really like to know if anyone has heard of this. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Potato blue

GreyE.

"You are very correct in what you said.

The starch in the potato was oxidized. The Chlorogenic and Citric acid content in the potato worked on the starch resulting in various chemicals being produced including Sodium Chlorate I and III and Hydrogen Peroxide. These chemicals (and probably others since it depends on the type of potato) oxidized the steel in the knife in a fashion very similar to the process used in gun bluing. "
This is a quote from a knife forum

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Where do you find potatoes big enough to hold a rifle barrel?

Otherwise, great idea.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, if you were inclined to try it, a long narrow trough with the rifle barred in a potatoes puree would have a theoretically similar reaction.

I use a lot of carbon steel knives, and have noticed the same type of reaction while cutting onion if the blade is not immediately washed.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Works Great on Carbon/Tool Steel Knife Blades.
Made a Few Knives Years ago from Old Industrial Paper Shear Blades.
Used to Stick 'em in a Potato & Stick 'em in the Fridge Over Night.
Turned 'em a Nice Dark Gray Black. Then Oil 'em Good & it Helps keep 'em from Rusting.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: plumbernater

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Secret to Makin' it Work is to Boil the Blade & Then Stick It In a Cold Potato & Chill it for 12-24hrs.
US58

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I don't think it will actually blue the steel, but it will force a patina on it to help reduce chance of rust.

I have used mustard, ground horseradish, apple, oranges etc on knife blades.
New!!!!!

Forced Patina!!!

New!!!!

Patina!!!

Mustard Patina'd!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Worth the try for a consistent coverage. I wonder if the potato is cooked will the chemical reaction be the same? Knife Blade Tool Dagger Hunting knife
the blade turned a very nice black where the steel contacted the potato. It is better than bottle "blue" if I could generalize the effect on a receiver or barrel. I need to try this on a pistol I want to refinish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.