Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the fall hunting seasons approach us and some have already begun, we would like to hear and see some pictures of you Marlin squirrel hunt success this year! So when you get one, post it, and post the gun and ammo and any other information about the hunt, like area, state, and anything else that pops into your mind. I hope members of this forum will keep this thread going and members posting their hunting success, and heck, even post your non-squirrel hunting success with your Marlin rimfire, I know ill be posting lots of squirrels this season, but here in Pennsylvania, squirrel doesnt open for about another month. So even if your seasons dont start for a while, let us know when they do, and we can keep track of everyone! Good Luck!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll start the ball rolling.

This picture was taken a couple of weekends ago while I was out squirrel hunting. Only saw one squirrel all morning but can't complain as there are a lot of people that dont get the opportunity to get out in the woods at all, that alone with a hunting buddy and a Marlin rifle in their hands not 10 minutes from their front door.

I am using a Marlin 7000 with Tasco 2.5-10x42 adjustable parallax scope on KBL #263 scope rings.

Quote of the day ... "if you killed a squirrel every time you went out they would call it squirrel killing not squirrel hunting" :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great! Great to see people out there hunting, I hear what your saying, I walk out my back door and 200 yards into the woods behind my house and thats where I hunt!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I already posted this one

under the sick squirrel post but here it is again....

I saw this squirrel about 40-50 yards away up on the trees. I took a shot but missed. The squirrel didn't even know I was there and it kept cutting and moving arround the trees. It jumped from tree to tree as i followed it with my red dot trying to get a head shot, with all the leaves still on the trees, it's hard to get a clear shot.
After about 4-5 minutes he was right on top of me. by this time I was a little dizzy from looking straight up. Finally he offered a shot and I was happy to take it. He got the .22 from my mod 60 right in the throat. It look so cool that I kept watchig though the scope. I saw how he started coming down. He held to the branch with his right hand (or is it foot) and hung for about 4 seconds. Then he let go and came stright down. I saw how he kept getting bigger and bigger as he got closer to the ground by the time I realized i might be between him and the ground, he was within a foot or two of the mod 60's muzzle. As I moved the rifle away from my face I jumped out of the way. the squirrel missed my face by 6 inches. and I heard the loud thump next to my foot. My friend was litterally rolling on the floor laughin his @$$ off. it was funny.

my weapon of choice: mod 60 with red dot scope

G

·
Just got back from the Shawnee Hunt and squirrels were really scares, but managed to get 4 greys and 1 fox squirrel so really happy with that :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Taff said:
Just got back from the Shawnee Hunt and squirrels were really scares, but managed to get 4 greys and 1 fox squirrel so really happy with that :D
Squirrels are definitely pretty scarce this year in Southern Illinois. Not a lot of sign of cutting and the trees are loaded.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
No squirrel hunting in Washington, so the best I can do is have fond memories:

I was stationed at Ft Ben Harrison 79-83 and it was a squirrel supermarket. Season started late Aug and ran for monthes. Bad part was no rifles. Anytime you wanted squirrel, you could go limit on the back of Ft Harrison. No one hunted them except maybe a few of us and they were everywhere. Camp Atterbery down the road an hour was pretty good, too. Actually, Ind was a pretty good squirrel area back in those days. I sure miss it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One Week and counting till squirrel season opens here in western pennsylvania. Hope to see some posts from you squirrel hunters!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Havnt been out yet, however in the past few years the hunting has been great in Michigan. Alot of greys and blacks are invading the Fox's territory, but other than that...good action in the tree rat woods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SEASON OPENED HERE LAST WEEK IN AUGUST.ALL TREES FULL HICKORY BUT FEW SQUIRRELS.KILLED 6 FIRST WEEK.THEN DIDN;T EVEN SEE ANY MORE TILL LAST WEEK. GOT 6 MORE.THERE SURE SCARCE THIS YEAR HERE.TALKED TO OTHER HUNTERS .THEY SAY SAME THING.ALL THEM WERE OLD SQIRREL'S. HOPE THERE IS A LATE CROP.SURE PLENTY FOOD FOR THEN.BOY THOSE CCI SMALL GAME BULLETS SURE DO WORK FINE MUCH BETTER THAN HP BULLETS.INSTENT KILL&NOT TORE UP A BIT.
[GOOD HUNTING] AL

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Al,
Good to see that you're still gettin out after those squirrels.
The squirrle hunting in KS is real good this year. Lots of mast and lots of squirrels, no squirrel hunters ceptin me. I've got to go twice so far and killed a limit each time. They squirrels are cutting the big bur oaks now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea sarge. hope we have a late crop .every one I talk to say all they are killing are old ones. I know there has got to be some young ones out there some where.with all this food around soner or later I think they will show up.I have seen it happen a few times before.
al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think the harvest here in western pa should be pretty good this year, i hunt a patch of woods right behind my house and i can hear all the squirrels squawking in the woods, so there has got to be a good amount, and sorry to break everyones heart, but on saturday, the opening day here in PA, i wont be carrying my 882SSV, because early muzzleloading season for deer opens this saturday too, so I will probably be carrying my scoped Taurus Tracker revolver for squirrels that day so I can also carry my muzzleloader , Sorry guys, but I will post picks if I get any, Happy hunting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
rexM.no I just to old to get around out there anymore. havent even run into anybody that hunts there now. all the ones I knew that did are dead. there is one person that works out there I see a lot at wallmart in millington. but havent ran into him in a while.if I do I will let you know what he says.
[good hunting] al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well its here tommorow is opening day, hopefully i will have some pics to post on my hunting success, but my day is going to be split, half day is muzzleloader hunting and half the day is squirrel, so I hope to have somthing for you guys on monday, see ya then!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys but I got nothing saturday, i hunted deer in the morning and saw 21 different shot I could have had at squirrels, so in the afternoon i returned with my .22 for squirrels and saw one too far out to shoot, and that is it. Better luck in the next coming weeks, see ya!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts