Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im from western pa i got one grey squirrel two weeks ago and one last week, both shot with a marlin 882ssv, the one last week was 50 yards out, didnt relize it till i walked it off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I shot 2 monster greys last Sunday with my, gasp, Remington 582 .22 Long Rifle (don't tell the diehard Marlin boys). It has a reduced power trigger spring for a really crisp, light pull and is highly accurate with CCI Minimag hollowpoints. I still have my Marlin 883 .22 WMR, but got tired of missing so I gave up on it for squirrels. It's just not accurate enough for bushytails with any FMJ load and has a stiff, heavy trigger. I have a sneaky feeling that a Rifle Basix trigger won't cure it and don't plan on spending $75 to find out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have shot a lot of squirrels this year, but haven't got to hunt as much as I would like. Most were shot with my.22 annie with a 4x12AO scope and wolf match target ammo. I have shot a few with my savage 17hm2 with a 4.5x14AO scope. I have used both 17hm2 ammo and 17 aguila in it and they are both really great squirrel rounds. The hm2 causing a little more damage than the aguila, but not bad.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Not squirrels- no season here.... out of 3 shots on game this year, one ruffed grouse and one sharptail with my 52 repro and cheap Walmart dyna-points. The miss was a sharptail that seen my eye magnified at 12 X and ducked his head down :? ....

Hey Sarge- It's nice to be dialled in with a heavy .22- how close to 8 pounds is that .17 Savage?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
932 Posts
Doc,
I don't know. I do know that the thing gets heavy toting it around the woods. It may 8 lbs with the scope.

G

·
Plan on trying my Marlin 1892 in 32 Long Colt, on a tree rat or two. That is as soon as deer season is over in Virginia :D

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
No squirrel season in WA :evil:

I'd like to share the experience of squirrel hunting on the back part of Ft Ben Harrison in Ind. Ind had a very long season and no one seemed to hunt them on the fort. Any time ya went out, ya could limit....6 was the number, I think. Man I miss those days. I would glady trade deer season for a productive squirrel season out here!!! Just one of those big Ind fox squirrel would make a meal! Over 20 years ago....too long ago :(

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well Tubby, grab your tuba and get the hell out of washington. There's nothing stopping you from moving to squirrel country.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sarge said:
Well Tubby, grab your tuba and get the hell out of washington. There's nothing stopping you from moving to squirrel country.
I almost did move back to the family home of Ohio. But my Daughter is here, therefore Grandkids someday, I like my job real well, and have a nice, quiet place to live. I'll probably take up duck hunting this year......ya have to beat 'em off with a stick there are so many ducks out here! Geese, too. (mmmmmm....stinkie, fish eating duck :roll: )

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another blown weekend, went out today, it was calm and i figured they would be out, but i never saw one squirrel, where did they all go? I know they will all be out next week when deer season comes in , here in Pennsylvania, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy smokes! It sure has been a long time since I ve visited the "marlin talk" sight....I actually did not know the board was changed!

Well about 3 weeks ago I was up in my tree doing some bow hunting for deer and along comes a HUGE red squirrel making so much noise atop the leaves that before I saw him I thought it was a deer coming in. He perched on a fallen tree about 10 yards away from me... "Aww, what the heck!" I drew on him and just about cut him in half with a Triton broadhead!

I ve since seen many, many reds and grays within 40 yards. I may just sit for squirrels this coming weekend with my SSV.

Thanks for the vine guys...it's nice to be back.

sjasc

G

·
Got a pair with my 1892 Marlin in 32 Long Colt. Have a cast load worked up for my 1894CCL in 32-20 that I will try and get 2 with . Also cast bullets for my 1894CL 25-20 and my 1894CL 218 BEE. Plan on shooting 2 tree rats with each rifle, then take the 8 of them and make tree rat gumbo :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
missed 2 today, both red, i always miss red squirrels, today is the last day for small game in PA, monday starts deer season and then small game comes back in after christmas, thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course its the first day of deer season in PA today, and i saw more squirrels than i could have shook my marlin 882ssv at, if they were only in season still, saw 3 doe (with no shots) and a buck, 4 -point, and i couldnt shoot it because in PA the bucks have to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal, thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts