Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I just had my shooting shoulder replaced. I want to shoot my 45-70 Guide Gun and will be doing it off of a new rest I bought so I can get out of this house. ::) The rest doesn't rest against the recoil pad, but it helps a lot. I shot some sedate loads off of it with my 38-55 and I was one happy camper!

I am using Starline brass, win primers and 350 grain Pile Driver lites. I need some recipies for Aliant 2400 and Unique so I can push some led very slowly. Maybe 1100 or 1200 fps. Little to no kick is the key! ;D If you have any chrono numbers with them that would be great! If it will tip over a deer thats a plus! ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Goin stir crazy yet? Sorry can't help with the loads, I use IMR4198.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Please, take it real easy on that shoulder,I've been there myself and if I had messed it up by getting impaatient it would have cost me pain for the rest of my life.
Use a Past pad or life jacket and you'll be way ahead of the game.
Good Luck, Frank

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can't help you with the 350gr but I shoot my 405gr Lee cast boolits with 13gr of Unique in Starline brass and CCI 200 primers for 1160fps out of my Guide Gun. Ive tried 12 gr of Unique for 1070fps but accuracy started to drop then.

Key

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Pumpkin Chucker said:
Since you're using BTB hardcast, call Marshall - he has a load for all occasions. 8)
P Chucker gives some good advice there. That being said, I think about 11-12gr of Unique should put you right in the ballpark. I do 11gr with Oregon Trail 350 grain laser-cast and get 1090 fps with CCI primers and Rem brass. Very soft shooting and a definite BANG - * thwack * with every pull of the trigger. :)

Oh, BTW I have a 26" barrel (1895CB).

·
Registered
298 Posts
FRJ said:
Please, take it real easy on that shoulder,I've been there myself and if I had messed it up by getting impaatient it would have cost me pain for the rest of my life.
Use a Past pad or life jacket and you'll be way ahead of the game.
Good Luck, Frank
+1... you may want to consider starting with your 39A and work your way up ;D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Can't help with either, but my light loads are 13 gr of Trailboss with a 405. Almost as light as a 45 LC cowboy load.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I used Unique for my postal match loads (with RD350's)....IIRC I was getting 1,175 fps but I forget the powder charge (it is mentioned in the postal match target thread)

EDIT: It worked in my gun...

Load data:
RD350 (gas checked, 30 BHN, seated to crimp groove, full crimp using RCBS seater die)
Starline brass (annealed, trimmed to 2.095" after case mouth expansion)
13 grains of Unique
CCI BR2 primer
1,175 fps (I'm gonna bump this up .5 grain, looking for a solid 1,200 fps)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Lever addict

I'm a big fan of the Trail Boss for soft loads, I use a Ranch Dog 460 - 350gr plain base, Alox lube, with 13.5 grains of TB, Starline cases, Remington 9 1/2 primers through the chrony 1090fps, over 5 rounds it only had a spread of 2 fps, accuracy was about an inch at 100 and 4 inches at 200.

I used a store bought 350 grain lead and 16.5 grain TB load for my postal match target (1250 fps,) it worked well too ;D

Overall I have found the TB to be a consistent, accurate and very clean burning. A 50 round range session is an easy clean up.

Good luck with your shoulder.

Rich

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
h-bomb I am way past stir crazy! :D

FRJ I will be careful. The rest I bought takes the recoil off of my shoulder. I fired 20 rounds of 38-55 off of it the other day. It put a big smile on my face! ;D

Keystone44 and T-Bone I will give that 11-12 grains of Unique a try. Thanks!

I'm asking for loads with Unique and 2400 because thats what I have on hand. I have heard good things about Trail boss!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
11-12 grains of unique with a 420gr hardcast bullet works well for me. Very very light recoil and accurate. Shoot thru most game in NA to boot.

25gr of 2400 also works well on top of the same, a wee bit more recoil, 1300-1400fps depending on brass, primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have some Unique but no longer use it as a powder. We found it too unreliable compared to other powders. Best of luck with the shoulder!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
We used it 4 years back with 45 LC. Some rounds would be weak, others wouldn't even fire. For CAS this was unacceptable. I was using a fairly stout load for CAS, too. We had a few squibs also.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! I have used it in .45LC also when I used to have a cowboy. Stout loads also. I never had a problem. Unique was the first powder I ever loaded. In .44 mag pistol I also used Unique and all was well. Maybe you had a bad lot of powder?
I have shot many .44 and .45lc over the years and a bit in 45-70 too and all have gone BANG!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Well, I am putting my 465gr. boolits down the tube a bit faster then what is being talked about here, 1600 - 1700fps, but -----------

My wife made me a shoulder bag for my bench shooting. Filled it with some #5 shot as I recall, and it works great.

Of course, my right shoulder is OK for being 68 years old, so when shooting at critters I don't feel the recoil without the extra pad.

I also have a good recoil pad my my RUGER #1s

Anyway, I use the pad while on the bench for about anything above the .243, as at times the bench sessions can get a bit long. 30 - 40 rounds of 45/70 per session of late, no sweat!.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
953 Posts
ggeilman said:
We used it 4 years back with 45 LC. Some rounds would be weak, others wouldn't even fire. For CAS this was unacceptable. I was using a fairly stout load for CAS, too. We had a few squibs also.
Iv'e been loading Unique in everything from .380 to 45-70 for over 25 years and have never had that problem. It’s one of the most consistent powders ever made.

Key

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ggeilman said:
Maybe bad batch of primers? I've had that before.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts