Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 12 days in the back field and got a weird spike , a button buck multiple times , a buck missing half it's rack , and a 10 to 14 ptr - not sure. Not counting the foxes , and one of my more adventurous fat housecats. HUNT0010.JPG HUNT0032.JPG HUNT0036.JPG HUNT0037.JPG HUNT0039.JPG

Where was the big bucky a couple weeks ago !!. Wife got a picture of the getting bigger 4 ptr bucky two days ago with her phone in the front yard - I let go by during gun season.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice bucks!
They are on the small size as things go... but this year or so it's been a good population. Really surprised to see the spike buck...looks like he may blossom. The 4 ptr will get bigger and his sparring partner no doubt will too.
Only thing that bothers me in my AO are "bow hunters". Few guys I have met and known are worthy of taking a deer cleanly with a bow. I used to find a lot of deer in newjerkistani land 30 years ago rotted with an arrow in them. Not much different everywhere I have hunted sadly. Known a couple fellows including my late father that were deadly with a bow and had the patience to make it count... wish more " bow hunters" were that way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice bucks!
They are on the small size as things go... but this year or so it's been a good population. Really surprised to see the spike buck...looks like he may blossom. The 4 ptr will get bigger and his sparring partner no doubt will too.
Only thing that bothers me in my AO are "bow hunters". Few guys I have met and known are worthy of taking a deer cleanly with a bow. I used to find a lot of deer in newjerkistani land 30 years ago rotted with an arrow in them. Not much different everywhere I have hunted sadly. Known a couple fellows including my late father that were deadly with a bow and had the patience to make it count... wish more " bow hunters" were that way.
I think things have come a long way in the archery world since 30 years ago. Of course there are still guys that routinely take bad shots, but the same goes for rifle hunters. I had a young buck come hobbling up my driveway during gun season from the state land across the road. His front right leg was blown out at the knee, leg flopping around like a limp noidle. He went into my open barn. After a call to the gamie i put him down. Guys that take bad shots / dont ensure the function of their weapons hunt both rifle and bow seasons.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think things have come a long way in the archery world since 30 years ago. Of course there are still guys that routinely take bad shots, but the same goes for rifle hunters. I had a young buck come hobbling up my driveway during gun season from the state land across the road. His front right leg was blown out at the knee, leg flopping around like a limp noidle. He went into my open barn. After a call to the gamie i put him down. Guys that take bad shots / dont ensure the function of their weapons hunt both rifle and bow seasons.
Bango ; I do agree a lot with your sentiment. Many years ago in western PA I had a nice 7 ptr come by me with it's front leg dangling and put it down cleanly and tagged it. Have 'met' a few armchair types that don't know their guns or fieldcraft and are a danger to anything in the field. To be frank in my area the worst thing I am aware of is poaching. In 2018 the guy at the end of my gravel road had two antlered deer and a doe hanging the morning after opening day - guy has no job other than hustling & drugs. Well the new game warden asked him about the deer and methman gave him some BS stories. Needless to say when he came around later to get him on poaching nobody would answer the door and the deer vanished from the back yard. Game warden eventually got him , but nothing is changed. A tad north of me poaching is really bad. Keeping an eye out for people "wandering" onto your land is another problem too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts