Marlin Firearms Forum banner
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
As a follow up to my last post...several years ago my buddy and master blacksmith Mike Vellekamp offered a custom knife building class over a few weekends..

At that time I was working in carbon fiber manufacturing for a worldwide company. I acquired some carbon fiber prepreg cloth that was left over samples from the lab. This is the same material used in the Boeing 787.

This is my design. It's about a 10" knife with several striking points. You can see how the knife changed from paper to material.
View attachment 859021
View attachment 859022
View attachment 859023
I laser engraved it with my made up Dave S logo.
View attachment 859024
I insisted on a fuller(blood groove). And I won't BS you..my design was ambitious..Mike helped me perfect that final blend, because it was a complicated one that I envisioned. CPM S30V blade material with my CF scale material.
Very good job. Have you made any more since?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back in the day before everything was being made in china, Gerber made some pretty nice looking knives. This style is my favorite back in the 70's-80's. This is a desirable collectable one I picked up a while back.

Gerber Portland, OR USA Wood Model 525 Bald Eagle Commemorative 1782-1982 Fixed Blade Knife in Box c.1982 - 1 of 3000 - Serial # 0274 - Wood Handel - No Cracks - Very Nice Unused Condition in the Original Wood Display Storage Box with COA (Certificate of Authenticity). Approx. 10 1/4 inches overall. Still has factory edge. Never sharpened, carried, or cleaned. No chips or cracks in handles.
Brown Wood Sleeve Book Font
Tool Wood Plant Hunting knife Utility knife
Wood Font Computer Screenshot Rectangle

Notice it says NOTHING MADE IN CHINA!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wood Terrestrial plant Plant Headgear Grass

Son bought a new knife.
Bull calf just had the worst day ever.
Sucker is sharp.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I hear ya @Golphin, I try not to double post a blade. I have knives I haven’t seen in years and wonder where they are.
There are a lot of fine knives on here. I would expect no less from Marlin Owners. I like seeing them.

·
Premium Member
24,970 Posts
Knife Wood Artifact Tool Blade

Turtleback Texas 5=1/2" handmade damascus. Ramhorn handles. One of the best hunting knives i own. will get scarey sharp and stay a long time. I once skint 2 hogs and a buck in one evening and it was still sharp...and that included hacking ribs off the two hogs. I really like this one and it was money well spent. only downside is the weight to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok..a few Automatics..Boker mini AK-74, full size AK-74, Meyerco 18-XRAY and Benchmade Adamas(that's a beefy knife).

The Meyerco has an interesting deployment..you have to push the button in and upward. The Bokers are simple push..the mini is super handy. And the Adamas is deployed via axis lock.

The Adamas Series of knives was designed by custom knife maker Shane Sibert to honor the courage and commitment exhibited by our fighting heroes.

Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife Font

·
Premium Member
12,450 Posts
Keep em coming men.. I didn’t just want you to post each knife you own but I want to see them in pics being used or enjoyed daily… from cutting cornbread to whittling to gutting your game
Asking a bit much now. Only some of mine are working knives and I would need a film crew to follow me around and wait for me to use my knife. I did trim a dead branch off a pepper plant and cleaned my finger nails with the one I carry daily but no pictures. 😆 I want to see them all myself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very good job. Have you made any more since?
Thanks man! No I haven't had a chance to make any more knives. I do have a few ideas in my head, but with 2 Classic Trucks, a newer truck I just bought that needs mods, 1911s, Marlin levers and a host of other art projects on the back burner...not much time.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
An interesting story with this uninteresting blade. Back about somewhere around 6-8 years ago I was on a lil fireside cookout trip on atv’s. We got to our campsite, which is regularly used by others and there the ground lay a brand new just recently bought knife sheathe that says Camillus Carnivore.

Now fast forward to this past spring and I’m headed turkey hunting about 5am I am about 4 mile from the campsite place and I see a knife laying in the highway. I turn around and go back and it is the knife that goes to the sheath I found 7 or 8 year ago. Now if I can figure out where I stashed that sheath.

Notice the missing patches of arm hair in the pic, a tell tale sign of a knife man that sharpens til they shave 😂
Hand Tool Wood Gesture Knife

161 - 180 of 218 Posts