Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1231 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,201 ·
I posted that RR ram bone cotton sampler I got off the auction site, it had chipped bone and the blade was against the brass liner. Even though they knew I bought it from e bay SMKW exchanged it for a new one. RR have a lifetime guarantee they told me. So I got the new cotton knife and also a trapper in that model. It is nice all the way around and buying these in person is a sure bet.
More to come tomorrow…
Wood Gas Tool Metal Food
Guitar accessory Wood Finger Thumb Nail
Finger Household hardware Nickel Thumb Metal
Hand Finger Thumb Fluid Nail

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Question for the experts here. Does the Schrade model 144 have real stag scales? Last made around 1982, I believe. Thanks in advance

ADDED: After some additional research, it seems the scales are Delrin/Staglon and not actual stag or jigged bone.

Everyday carry Knife Utility knife Material property Font

Brown Bag Sleeve Rectangle Luggage and bags

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Little Buck 371 I picked up the other day with a nice discount! Carries pretty well in the pocket!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Another vintage Japanese knife, an HEI Himark. After finding it, I did a bit of research and found the exact same knife listed for 4X the amount I would pay for it, so I grabbed it. The pictures of it weren't great and the info was somewhat sketchy. I wasn't even sure if the blade looked sturdy enough for hard use. However, the knife was a lot better than I expected, looking visually unused with just a little tarnish on the SS blade. And, the spine is a full 1/4" thick so it's plenty sturdy. 8.5" OAL with 4.25" sharp blade and plain dark wood scales. It also came with a very nice flapped leather sheath.

Plant Tableware Tool Utility knife Everyday carry
Tool Bicycle part Composite material Household hardware Nickel
Wood Chair Fender Bumper Basic pump
Hand Wood Musical instrument accessory Gesture Finger

·
Registered
352 Posts
10 or so years ago when I was still working, I had a technician that lived in Maine. He was part of an Indian Tribe there and he worked for us for many years. I believe the Tribe was the Penobscot Tribe. He came to the office on occasion and one time he brought me this Knife. He knew I Iiked to hunt and he gave me a knife and sheath he made using an Elk Antler. Good person and very personable. He was with us for many years.

Brown Wood Beige Jewellery Metal

Outerwear Luggage and bags Bag Dress Sleeve

Eye Human body Jaw Wood Ingredient

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Vintage Bear MGC (now Bear & Son I believe) that was new, display only and no box. Very nice stag scales. 4" clip point blade; 8" OAL. Very nice clean knife with nice leather sheath at what I feel was a great price.

Tool Knife Blade Tree Wood
Material property Tints and shades Font Composite material Metal
Electric blue Spice Blazer Office supplies Metal

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I found a worthwhile use for the big Bowie knife I bought. Much cooler than a simple straw 😂

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Table
Food Tableware Table Dishware Kitchen utensil
Food Table Kitchen utensil Tableware Drinkware

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Got a two-fer today. A Robert Klaas Custom Hunter (NIB) and another in the NAHC Hunting Heritage Collection (used). Both are 8" OAL with 3.5" SS blades. The Klaas has jigged bone scales with a thin liner added, and the HHC has ram horn scales. Both have SS bolsters. Decent leather sheaths accompanied both. Handy sized & shaped knives.

Natural material Knife Wood Tool Hunting knife
Natural material Tool Wood Cutlery Utility knife
Material property Wood Blade Tool Metal

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,216 ·
I have another RR trapper on the way. Lots of folks are not interested in trappers cause they’re every man’s knife but I like them and they fit my hand perfectly (As does many others 😬). I ordered the Black & Blue series with that blue wavy cut bone, looks almost like ripples in water. Cannot wait til it get here!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just over a week ago, I saw a very nice imported "Loveless" style knife listed for a decent price. I made a lower offer that was accepted on the 6th. The knife arrived yesterday afternoon and I couldn't possibly be more happy with my purchase. At just over 8" OAL with a 3.6" blade (440c SS, satin finish) and Rosewood scales with stainless steel bolster. Fit and finish was awesome and razor sharp right out of the wrapper. A few very small imperfections in the wood, but I was amazed with the quality as I handled it and cleaned the oil off the blade. HRC of 57-60. The leather sheath that came with it was not to my liking, but I'm trying it in a few nice leather ones I already have.

The last picture is of the custom knife in post #1182 alongside this new Abuknife (model AB-111). A very similar look and feel. The new one's handle is a tad thicker, but it feels a tick lighter overall. The price of the custom knife made in Texas (#1182) was about 5X more than the new handmade imported one. I'll feel just fine gutting a deer with the new one... :LOL:

Natural material Everyday carry Knife Animal product Helmet
Knife Everyday carry Utility knife Blade Natural material
Natural material Wood Fashion accessory Metal Rectangle
Natural material Wood Everyday carry Fashion accessory Metal
Natural material Metal Fashion accessory Knife Tool
Tableware Natural material Wood Knife Utility knife

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I believe that I found a great deal online today. A brand that I've never heard of "Parforce". I'm sure that it's not a really high quality piece, but at $5 (5.48 with tax) shipped, I think that I did okay....lol. No OAL or blade length mentioned, but I'm guessing about 7.5-8" OAL with ~3.5" blade. Some type of burl wood scales, SS? bolsters and what appears to be a damascus steel blade. New and housed in a display box. We shall see what it really is in a few days I guess.

ADDED After a bit of checking, I did find several listings in England & Ireland for Parforce knives. Some did have Damascus blades and looked about the same size as I was figuring this one was and apparently is. They sell NIB over there for ~$75 or so. This one says 73 layers Damascus blade with micarta scales for $85

Tool Font Musical instrument accessory Nipper Cutting tool

Rectangle Wood Material property Auto part Composite material

Wood Rectangle Eyewear Gadget Wood stain
Tool Font Musical instrument accessory Nipper Cutting tool

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sorry about the passing of your friend. But congrats on getting those beautiful knives 👍

1201 - 1220 of 1231 Posts