Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Been wanting to get into knife making for years and years and finally took the plunge. This is my first completed knife. 1084 steel, brass pins, and PA walnut scales from a friend’s property that I used to hunt, tung oil finish.
Looks to me like a job well done!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'll post a few of mine over the years. Like My guns, I haven't sold one since I was a kid, but I have lost a few. Here is Case XX Series Knife and sheath I have had for over 40 years. It Basically was one of my 1st ones I acquired. Used it mainly to skin rabbits, some trap line use and then my 1st 3 Whitetail Bucks.

I haven't used it in many years.

View attachment 884436 View attachment 884437
Great knife, and one I'd take for a Buck M102 at first glance I'm sure. The two knives I've owned for nearly 40yrs were also put to pasture many years ago and I just got them out and polished them up a few months ago. Two Case XX Arapaho fixed blades with 4" blades and rosewood scales.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks all and tnhunter. I like my Buck Knives as well. This 110C replaced the case at some point and is 35-40 years old is my guess. Lost it twice deer Hunting but found it both times. It has field dressed dozens of deer(Whitetail and Mule), Antelope etc. over the years.

I bought this Buck 276 several years ago, to eventually replace the 110 C but still use the 110C. I liked the rosewood handle and the gut hook was a plus as well.

Rectangle Bumper Gadget Font Electric blue

Tool Hand tool Knife Utility knife Household hardware

Everyday carry Tool Fashion accessory Font Composite material

Natural material Wood Metal Fashion accessory Handle

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A couple more new ones. Two knifey looking boxes showed up in the mailbox today. Lucky me (y)

First is a knife I simply bought by looks. (I know, silly me). I liked the beefy looking wood scales and I loved the blade shape and size. Made by Big Bear Knives, a drop point SS blade of about 4.5" and 9 1/4" OAL. The wood scales look to be walnut to my eye, but who knows. A very beefy handle fits my large mitt well and the scale to full tang fit is flawless. It came with a nice heavy black leather sheath that has the top of the blade portion angled just like the bolster to blade angle. Nice touch. It's substantial and very sharp.
Knife Wood Hunting knife Everyday carry Blade

Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Material property Household hardware

Wood Jewellery Everyday carry Fashion accessory Metal

#2 is one of the NAHC Hunting Heritage line knives. Typically foriegn made but decent little knives and this one was as new and priced right. SS 3.5" gut hook and engraved (stamped?) blade and 7 3/4" OAL with jigged bone scales. Brass bolster. The heavy black leather sheath makes it a very good deal at the price point. Nice and sharp. Another for a Grandson 👍

Wood Utility knife Hunting knife Knife Tool

Grey Material property Font Knife Metal

Cone Office supplies Headgear Feather Costume hat

Ooops....wife just brought me a box FedEx just delivered. 🙄

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was going through my box of stored knives and came across these two. @.DIRTY-.THIRTY might like this first one; a Rough Rider Heavy Folder I picked up a while back. Previously owned, but appears NIB. #2 is a Boker Magnum folder with a 440B SS blade. IIRC, I bought 4 or 5 of these Bokers to give to my Buddies joining me on the gift hunt a few years ago. One had a dented tin, so I kept it. Still unused.

Everyday carry Knife Blade Hunting knife Utility knife

Everyday carry Hunting knife Knife Font Blade

Everyday carry Tool Knife Blade Metal

·
Registered
262 Posts
I also picked this bowie knife up. I got it for $50.00. No markings anywhere that I can find on it. Looks to be old and well built knife. Good edge and has not been sharpened in along time from the looks. I will change that and clean it up some. Very solid heavy knife with a 10 inch blade. Handle and guard are tight.

View attachment 884682
I would pay 50.00 for that in a flash. Never looked around in pawn shops for used knives. May have to start.

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Buck 112 I’ve had since the 80’s with a new sheath to replace the lost one!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This just arrived. Not a "serious" purchase, but a good deal due to a small flaw on the blade (not on the edge). Made by Timber Rattler, it's 16" OAL with an almost 11" sharp, SS blade. Bought it because it came with a nice leather sheath.

Tool Hand tool Knife Wood Blade

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,174 ·
And you was right @TnHunter356 i like em both!! I found out the hard way about buying a RR off eBay today as my Ram Horn Bone Cotton Sampler has several issues… 😔 the blade is off center so bad it is rubbing. I am gonna buy in person at SMKW only when it comes to RR.
It would be a beauty though if perfect!!
Hand Finger Nail Tool Utility knife
Hand Sleeve Musical instrument Finger Gesture

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I finally decided to stop looking and start acting on another knife from the same maker I posted in #1113. A similar knife, slightly larger than the 1st I bought from him. Very pleased with #2 and it's as nice as the first. His description:

Here I have a custom made drop point skinner with a genuine elk horn (antler) handle. It is made from 440c High Carbon steel and is beautifully handcrafted with a custom stag elk antler handle, polished to a high gloss.
The razor sharp blade is approximately 3 3/4" and has an average HRC of 57-58. The knife has an overall length of approximately 7 7/8".
Full tang construction with brass pins.
Comes complete with the pictured handmade and hand tooled leather sheath, made with pride in the USA from high quality 7-8 oz. bridle leather.
The antler is 100% natural, no dyes or polyurethanes added, just sanded and polished to a high gloss.

A couple of pictures of the newer one and one of both. The newer knife in the foreground appears a bit larger than it really is in relation to the first purchased.

Tableware Vertebrate Cutlery Wood Kitchen utensil

Knife Everyday carry Natural material Blade Fashion accessory

Tableware Cutlery Grey Knife Blade

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I also picked this bowie knife up. I got it for $50.00. No markings anywhere that I can find on it. Looks to be old and well built knife. Good edge and has not been sharpened in along time from the looks. I will change that and clean it up some. Very solid heavy knife with a 10 inch blade. Handle and guard are tight.

View attachment 884682
Please post a pick of the Bowie when you get her buffed up. I think I have seen that blade before from Track of the Wolf as a blank. They used to sell it in a 10".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I decided to try a new brand that I just recently found online, Kandar. The knives are said to be produced by the European Union and they ship out of Germany. Hefty blade (.2" thick at spine) and nicely grained wood scales around the full tang that I believe to be Olive wood. 440C drop point blade with HRC of 60. Blade is a shade under 4" and the hefty handle is a bit over 4" for an OAL of just over 8 1/4". A size and style knife that really catches my eye. Surprisingly low price and fit and finish were VG. It came with a cheap nylon sheath, but I already had some decent leather sheaths I knew would fit just fine. This one fits like a glove.

Wood Plant Hunting knife Utility knife Tool

Tool Utility knife Knife Grey Hunting knife

Wood Natural material Plant Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Puma Deer Hunter I got for Christmas in the 70’s! Was my first belt knife and still my nicest/most cherished! Carried a bunch when I was a kid, but I don’t think I ever used it…original edge!

Attachments

1161 - 1180 of 1231 Posts