Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1001 - 1004 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You could make a jig to hold the knife at a consistent angle to the sander. I use different grit ceramic rods that are placed in angled holes drilled into a block of wood.
Thanks.

I stopped "working" on it for while so I could gather my thoughts. It's actually the non-cutting parts of the sides that need more dressing to remove very slight sanding marks I put on taking off the very obvious grinding marks put on by someone previous. At least I got the point re-formed and shaped to something kinda okay. The steel is very hard.

Duh.

Edit to add ... I can take better pics and start my topic if that would help people help me.

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Thanks.

I stopped "working" on it for while so I could gather my thoughts. It's actually the non-cutting parts of the sides that need more dressing to remove very slight sanding marks I put on taking off the very obvious grinding marks put on by someone previous. At least I got the point re-formed and shaped to something kinda okay. The steel is very hard.

Duh.

Edit to add ... I can take better pics and start my topic if that would help people help me.
I would recommend a new topic for your Buck, there are a lot of talented people on this site that may offer some good info for a knife restoration. Good luck and nice job so far.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I would recommend a new topic for your Buck, there are a lot of talented people on this site that may offer some good info for a knife restoration. Good luck and nice job so far.
Done.

CLICK HERE

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
@GasGuzzler - For restoration work I use a Work Sharp belt knife sharpener with the edge guide. Does an excellent job. I'd recommend it - in fact, I have 2 of them - one on my bench and one in my truck that I run off a converter if I need to use it in the field. Dremel (battery style) with the buffing wheels work well to do touch up work and polishing.
@Dallasday - excellent work on that filet knife -
@Pig Ninja - nice Mora Eldris - I happen to have one (might have posted it in this thread maybe) and really like mine - heck of a handy little blade

My first pocket knife was a Barlow - used it to cut off gopher tales back in the late 50's early 60's when the county had a nickel bounty on the tails.
My first hunting knife was a small 4" blade KaBar that was given to me by my great Uncle (loved that man - he also gave me my first shotgun - a 20 gauge single shot Savage Youth - still have the shotgun but the knife was stolen from me by a college roommate.

1001 - 1004 of 1004 Posts