Marlin Firearms Forum banner
741 - 760 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
@Boris - very nice work - it shows some real craftsmanship. . . . Natasha must be proud!!! Tee Hee. Glad you joined the thread.

I agree - I like the old knives, too. And the new ones. And the used ones. And the homemade ones - and the one's we cut ourselves with when we were kids.....right @Vooch!

Here's a Case 3 Finn from 1980 (if I read the date code correctly). I like this little knife - it reminds me of the very first KaBar I received as a child from my great uncle. I don't have the original sheath anymore-the sheath I have for it is not quite secure. So, I carry it carefully.
I also have a tendency to gather and accumulate Coleman lanterns and their many variations.....

Wood Household hardware Hardwood Metal Natural material

Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Art Font Poster Publication

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Another new Victorinox this evening, the electrician model
View attachment 866683
I am very familiar with Victorinox & Wenger knives, but I have never seen one like that!
There are a number of them scattered throughout my office ... give me a min....
This one was my Boy Scout knife for 11 years and then for nearly 7 more years it carried me through the SA/Namibia/ Angolan Bush War .. It officially retired in 1989 and now it rests in this wooden box on my desk. ☝
(Somehow I never lost it!)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Tell us about the lantern!!!
Sure - - - The lantern is a Coleman 220D - the manufacturer date code is February 1946. It is in very good shape. I have not fired this one up - just have it on display. You might notice the light blue box of old mantles hanging on the back of the lantern.....those are old silk thorium infused mantles - radioactive! They can stay sealed in the box!
I started "accumulating" Coleman lanterns and others many years ago. This lantern is one of about 30 of them that I have of all vintages and styles. We use them camping and just for sitting outside in the evening. Always scrounging garage and rummage sales to look for them. If I find one that needs repair, I'll buy it and try to clean it up - pass it on to others who might enjoy them. One of my more unique Coleman lanterns is a 1962 military model - brand new in the box and never used - complete with the field kit!!
When I was a kid, we used kerosene lanterns around the farm - even tho we had rural electricity at the time, it was convenient and nostalgic to grab one to go outside at night. Usually a couple of times in the summer or fall, we will have a backyard bonfire and have our grandkids and neighbors grandkids come over for the fire and to play in the backyard. When we do that - especially in the fall gatherings, I will light up a few lanterns and hang them around the backyard. It's a good time.

Thanks for asking
Building Street light Sky Branch Road surface

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
@Boris - Good looking knife - the blokes and sheilas of Australia should appreciate having your work in hand!

This is my Case folding hunter - the date code on the tang is from the period of 1965 to 1980 Case used on their hunting knives. The Sports Afield is the December 1948 issue @ .25 ! How times have changed. This knife is one of my favorites - and probably the oldest - in my gathering of Case knives.
Aircraft Vehicle Publication Book Aerospace manufacturer

Helmet Wood Kitchen utensil Grey Automotive design

741 - 760 of 839 Posts