Marlin Firearms Forum banner
461 - 480 of 547 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,241 Posts
We Ky Hillbilly people got a lot in common with you Texas brush poppers 😂
i tell you what Man....serious hunters that are or was raised old school are alike everywhere. and i have met folks on here id sure like to meet and hunt with or just sit around a fire. Been a lot of em over the years.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Boker -580
Bud Nealy MCS (multi concealment sheath)

You can wear this from your kneck all the way to your boot in multiple configurations.

Nealy says, "I design knives to be slim and light. If they are too bulky or heavy, they'll remain at home in the 'sock and underwear drawer' and not be available when needed."
View attachment 861964
View attachment 861965
View attachment 861966
View attachment 861967

View attachment 861968
View attachment 861969
View attachment 861970

BUD NEALY
"After 35 years as a well known musician...

Imagine being a successful Jazz musician playing gigs on the road, performing in the Big Apple's coolest clubs and even under the stage lights of Broadway. In a city that's been more cruel to musicians than kind, you beat the odds. Playing with the likes of the Glenn Miller Band and in the orchestra for top hit plays such as "A Chorus Line," you make a life of it for 30 years with a wife, kids and all that jazz. Then imagine you wake up one morning and decide you want to -- of all things -- make knives."

READ MORE HERE:
Neat, neat ... neat!
The modern sgian dubh! ☝

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I’ll use whatever but most of the time it’s an old Boker Trapper I found while out squirrel hunting.
Next question is do you cut across the back or around tail, through tail and skin squirrel while stand on tail and pulling him up outta his skin? I also like to soak mine in water for about 10 mins and it prevents any hair to sticking to the meat.
Out in the hunting field , this is my knife that has been the busiest.
Y'all can probably tell - I had to clean it up before the photo session.
It does not matter what you throw at it - it can keep an edge a good long way through a buffalo or giraffe. ( I find that these require the most cutting, hammering , chopping).
No cutting around the back on those two, when you out in the sticks on the ground, you find whatever way works for you and then improvise some more, but always attempt to look "professionel". ;)
For those of you that are into bush craft / survival, I suppose it would last through all the wood chopping /tinkering, para-chord, fish bones, twine, line and meat as well.
I guess today is the first time the knife has been out of my hunting bag in a very-very long time.

Cold steel - M' Hunter.
Ugly, but good ..... I adjusted the sheath to sit high as it then is out the way, snag less and I can reach the handle much easier.
A real work horse, one you do not have to mollycoddle too much, ideal!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Around here they leave the heads on. Take the eyes and nose off and eat the brains and big tongue throat part and the lil but on cheeks. Around here they are always cooked and never fried
Here we go!
- Nav' turned some squirrel over heat during a visit to his place. Tasted like chicken ...... ;):D;)
... wasn't at all bad, even though I am not vegetarian! :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
WHAT DO YOU GUYS PREFER FOR SKINNING SQUIRRELS?

Personally, i like a slimline trapper. Moore Maker has one they make with a cross-lock. Case makes a good one as well. I like a knife with a slim sharp-pointed blade for this task. I am not opposed to a non-folder so long as its not too big. I have a small Puma the works pretty good.
I also prefer stainless for this because i skin a lot of squirrels in the months of May and Ocober. and i have to rinse it off a lot.
I like the Muskrat. Both blades are the same.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Here's one I wish was still made, the Cold Steel Twistmaster. (Shown with an Opinel #10 for comparison.)
This one is the large size with a 4 3/4" Carbon V blade.
The medium size was my go to deer hunting knife for several years until I left it in the woods after rushing to dress a buck before it got dark.
They originally sold for $20, and now sell for $100 on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
I’ve had this Gerber Gator since I was a kid in the 90’s. My Gerber fillet knife pic yesterday reminded me of it (same handle texturing) I have decided to take it out of retirement and back into the woods for the upcoming whitetail rut.
Hood Sleeve Sportswear Tints and shades Automotive design

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Had the same Gator and a green Buck Lite with camo sheath. Carried bow hunting in the mid-late 80 IIRCC.

View attachment 862171
I like that !!!!! That would rather quickly make a point with someone if needed!! What is the vintage? My son has a similar bayonet off a Mosin-Nagant.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Buck 110 Auto - I don't carry it often - but if I absentmindedly lay it down in the grass next to a deer, it's easy to spot. . .
I have several auto knives and this one deploys as fast as any of them. . .
Tool Natural material Everyday carry Bumper Wood

Wood Tree Blade Knife Everyday carry

461 - 480 of 547 Posts