Marlin Firearms Forum banner
441 - 460 of 858 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
As promised, one of my more recent Morakniv acquisitions. A Morakniv Eldris neck knife with a fire start kit. I actually scored this in a yuppie outdoors store in the Mall of America about 4 years ago - talking with the staff at the store was a hoot - no clue zoo regarding anything outdoors.
This is a fun little knife for camping and backpacking. Have not used it to start a fire, yet. Have a good Zippo ....
Everyday carry Red Belt Tints and shades Strap

Eyewear Font Tints and shades Audio equipment Cable

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
There is a Leatherman system in my hunting truck. It is a well made flip system incorporating a very good and sturdy blade. I have to add that this blade holds an edge very well. Then there is a sharp and functional cross cut saw that folds over the blade. Flip the whole system 180° and you have a fair gutting hook. (I am not too fond of gutting hooks, but this one is not too bad.)
It all sits snugly in a sturdy, hard wearing leather sheath and comes with a neatly packaged, profiled diamond coated file with profiles suitable to hone blades & gutting hooks and there is even a runner to keep your fishing hooks in top order. The handle is not the most comfortable, but I have had far worse:

I have been using this knife for ..... more than 10 years and only the sheath shows some wear. The knife is still in very good condition considering, although I had once tightened the Torque Screws, adding some blue thread locking compound, to stiffen it all up again.

(The pen is for scale) ☝

A quality piece of equipment.

Plant Flower Purple Petal Violet

·
Registered
76 Posts
Boker -580
Bud Nealy MCS (multi concealment sheath)

You can wear this from your kneck all the way to your boot in multiple configurations.

Nealy says, "I design knives to be slim and light. If they are too bulky or heavy, they'll remain at home in the 'sock and underwear drawer' and not be available when needed."
Cap Bag Rectangle Headgear Beige

Font Rectangle Pattern Composite material Drawing

Font Material property Art Pattern Illustration

Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Writing implement Office supplies Cosmetics Pen Rectangle

Tool Eyewear Grey Blade Rectangle

Hood Rectangle Line Automotive exterior Material property

BUD NEALY
"After 35 years as a well known musician...

Imagine being a successful Jazz musician playing gigs on the road, performing in the Big Apple's coolest clubs and even under the stage lights of Broadway. In a city that's been more cruel to musicians than kind, you beat the odds. Playing with the likes of the Glenn Miller Band and in the orchestra for top hit plays such as "A Chorus Line," you make a life of it for 30 years with a wife, kids and all that jazz. Then imagine you wake up one morning and decide you want to -- of all things -- make knives."

READ MORE HERE:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Here's a part of the gathering of Remington knives accumulated over the years. A set made in 1995 - The Old Band and The Boy. Along with the box it has all the original paperwork. Whenever I look at it or show it, it reminds me of the great hunting memories I had with my dad and my uncles during my growing up years. . . hope I can continue that heritage.
Textile Rectangle Sleeve Art Font

Font Material property Rectangle Quill Paper

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
@vt4ster - that is a nice Case - have never seen one like that before - sorry you weren't able to score that one.
I have looked around for one of those double bladed Havalon knives - I'll probably need to hit the Internet.
@Kendawg - thanks - Those 80's and 90's Remington knives are very enjoyable to collect.

Looking for some thoughts - have a guy who offered me a #116 Buck Caper and a #118 Hunter / #103 Skinner 2 knife set - all with the sheaths - he wants $250 for the 3 knives. Really would like to pick them up - but he seems a tad high (?) I don't think I've ever paid more than $50-70 for an older Buck. Thoughts????

This Buck is one of my more recent everyday knives - a limited edition 112 with red micarta scales and black bolsters. I like the way it looks - any Buck 110 or 112 is a good carry knife IMHO.
Knife Tool Everyday carry Tableware Utility knife

Everyday carry Bumper Wood Watch accessory Strap

Stay Sharp !!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Grey Auto part Webbing Strap Metal

Couple little Cold Steels.
Made in Japan.
Clip on your Carhart zipper pull. Right there in the winter for cutting twine off round bales.

·
Premium Member
25,337 Posts
WHAT DO YOU GUYS PREFER FOR SKINNING SQUIRRELS?

Personally, i like a slimline trapper. Moore Maker has one they make with a cross-lock. Case makes a good one as well. I like a knife with a slim sharp-pointed blade for this task. I am not opposed to a non-folder so long as its not too big. I have a small Puma the works pretty good.
I also prefer stainless for this because i skin a lot of squirrels in the months of May and Ocober. and i have to rinse it off a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
I’ll use whatever but most of the time it’s an old Boker Trapper I found while out squirrel hunting.
Next question is do you cut across the back or around tail, through tail and skin squirrel while stand on tail and pulling him up outta his skin? I also like to soak mine in water for about 10 mins and it prevents any hair to sticking to the meat.

·
Registered
14,871 Posts
There is a Leatherman system in my hunting truck. It is a well made flip system incorporating a very good and sturdy blade. I have to add that this blade holds an edge very well. Then there is a sharp and functional cross cut saw that folds over the blade. Flip the whole system 180° and you have a fair gutting hook. (I am not too fond of gutting hooks, but this one is not too bad.)
It all sits snugly in a sturdy, hard wearing leather sheath and comes with a neatly packaged, profiled diamond coated file with profiles suitable to hone blades & gutting hooks and there is even a runner to keep your fishing hooks in top order. The handle is not the most comfortable, but I have had far worse:

I have been using this knife for ..... more than 10 years and only the sheath shows some wear. The knife is still in very good condition considering, although I had once tightened the Torque Screws, adding some blue thread locking compound, to stiffen it all up again.

(The pen is for scale) ☝

A quality piece of equipment.

View attachment 861886
Great knife, thanks for showing.

·
Premium Member
25,337 Posts
I’ll use whatever but most of the time it’s an old Boker Trapper I found while out squirrel hunting.
Next question is do you cut across the back or around tail, through tail and skin squirrel while stand on tail and pulling him up outta his skin? I also like to soak mine in water for about 10 mins and it prevents any hair to sticking to the meat.

i have my own way of skinning them. i cut on the hind legs from the foot to under the tail and then from the chin to under the tail. i work my thumb in from inside the hind leg around to the back , cut the tail and go across to the other leg, then pull the hide all the way down, work the front legs out and then over the head. i dont stand on the tail i do all this sitting on my front steps. the heart and liver goes to my dog.
My dad always used one of them squirrel hangers that went in the stake hole on the bed of a pickup. i still have it but i hate using it. i can skin one sitting down the way i do it faster.

·
Premium Member
25,337 Posts
Around here they leave the heads on. Take the eyes and nose off and eat the brains and big tongue throat part and the lil but on cheeks. Around here they are always cooked and never fried

i leave the haeds on too. i also leave the feet on until i cook them so those sharp bones dont poke a hole in the bag.
I slow cook mine and pick out the bones. then i either make stew or dumplins with the meat.
The only ones i fry are the young ones and i label them seperate.

441 - 460 of 858 Posts