Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find a lifter for it of good quality?
It is my dad's & I'd like to fix it. It positions the cartridge 3 different ways. Straight, angled up & angled down. No matter how you cycle it. The case always gets dented when going into the chamber.

I don't know what different makers are out there, but I want a good quality one that will work right.

Is it possible that it could be adjusted by bending etc?

Don't know much about the Winchester except that it ain't as easy to work on like a Marlin.
Thanks, trad

·
Registered
495 Posts
My guess, having seen this problem in a few other 94's over the years, is that you have a stamped lifter in your carbine. If you open the action and look at the lifter, it is blued if it's stamped. If it's silver, it's a cast/milled lifter. The stamped lifters can bend, both up and down, and in a twisting fashion. Doesn't take much of a bend to cause the poor feed angle issues to emerge. It's been a couple of decades since I fixed the last one, but as I recall, you need to change the lifter out as an assembly to convert to the cast version.
Unless you plan to use the rifle a lot, like in CAS shooting, I'd go to the Numrich website and order a new stamped lifter. Also check your cartridge guides for wear, and make sure the screws are tight. If the guides are loose things don't work well either, or if worn, replace them too. Remember, they have a left and right side version, replace both if one is looking rough. That typically gets things back to normal.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. Good information. I'll have to look at it again to see which carrier it uses, early or late post 64. I believe that it is the late style from what I remember. It's a 1967.

·
Registered
28,553 Posts
New or used? Does it need to be the same style that is in it now?

Does this sound like a carrier problem?
my bet is the carrier. new/ used no problem. ive owned and been around alot of winnie 94s the only old ones I saw that jammed. one had a broken carrier spring. the other a weak extractor. but post 64 its the carrier danged near everytime. also check classic rifle parts. ebay/ numrich. ive picked em up on ebay for 25 to 30 bucks one will turn up. very easy to replace too.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everywhere I have looked was out of stock.
What exactly is the problem with the carrier that is in it, besides being stamped?
Are they twisted, bent or made out of spec?
Can the original be fixed by adjustment?
Homestead had post 64 carriers that were machined for the post 64 to replace the stamped version. ( $65.50 out of stock )

·
Registered
28,553 Posts
Everywhere I have looked was out of stock.
What exactly is the problem with the carrier that is in it, besides being stamped?
Are they twisted, bent or made out of spec?
Can the original be fixed by adjustment?
Homestead had post 64 carriers that were machined for the post 64 to replace the stamped version. ( $65.50 out of stock )
dont try to bend it. trust me it never works. keep checking ebay.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's it, it works good. I don't know if all Wins work the same, but I am not impressed. It's a 67, not pre 64, but the cartridges don't load that well into the mag tube. For them to hold in the tube, I have to use an extra cartridge to push it in & open the lever a bit to let the piece that holds the cartridge in pop up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.