Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, as the title suggests, this may be an all timer. I just got my first Marlin, my first lever action, actually, and I was wondering in what position to store it. Should the hammer be resting on the safety or in the half cock position? Thanks for helping a new owner!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not an expert but I always store my guns in the "fired" position, that is the hammer is against the pin. My logic goes like this: I might not use a gun a for a while so it is best to leave everything in an uncompressed state.

PS: Just re-read that, do you mean you have it stored by the back door ready for use?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you put a lot of oil in it then you should store it horizontally.
If you have a safe then you don't have much choice except to store
it vertically.
Mine are in a safe but keep in mind that dust can get into the barrel
if it's standing up in the corner of the room so I'd cover the end of
the barrel.
I store mine on half cock and unloaded.
Enjoy your new Marlin! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Here's what I do with mine... Due to space limitations mine are stored vertically (in the locker), muzzle preferably down, hammer on the half-cock. I reckon there are million ways to skin this cat. So long as they aren't stored in an enclosed case, I'm happy. I would rather have the firearm "out" so air can circulate somewhat, as opposed to being trapped in a case that not only prevents air flow, but also traps and holds moisture/humidity pretty well.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
First thing first............

Empty chamber.............

Hammer down!

Lots of information available . The more you read, the more you learn.

I must say, I`m some what surprised at your question though. looks like you have the cart (weapon) in front of the horse(learning.)

You`ll like your new Marlin. After you figure out how it works..................:)

·
Banned
651 Posts
Not a dumb question. Leave the hammer in the fired position or against the firing pin. Leaving in half cocked or full cocked position stresses springs IMHO.

Reactions: richard07924

·
Registered
292 Posts
04Hunter - I also would store it with the hammer down on an empty chamber, as JonathanC said above. Please keep asking questions here. You may think they are trivial, but with these changing times - crime and terrorism - more people are thinking about firearms. There are many people who browse these threads and never post. Your questions are valuable to them! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Stored - completely unloaded, hammer at rest
At the ready - empty chamber, hammer at rest

If you have it by the back door my preference is to have an empty chamber and a full mag tube. It's not a CCW so you have to have time to retrieve it and ready it for use. An empty chamber is a little safer and not likely to impede your speed to use it. In those "resting at the back door" situations with an empty chamber you can leave the cross bolt safety deactivated. An empty chamber is inherently safe. As you pick it up you rack the lever to chamber the first round and the hammer gets cocked automatically, ready to use on that pesky chupacabra that's been terrorizing your terrier. :biggrin:

Reactions: 1022

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Everyone has their own way of storage, no one's wrong either way. Mine is barrel down with the hammer in the fired position. Being doing that since I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Please don't think that someone is going to chide you for asking a question! Tons of good folks here with tons of info -- this place is like the Encyclopedia Americana of Marlin information. There is no such thing as a stupid question, unless you count the ones that don't get asked. You may occasionally get a stupid answer, but someone will come along to correct it pretty quickly:biggrin: Glad you've joined us! John

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
I agree with Triggerfinger as pointed end down if possible. In my cop days we did not have assigned cruisers. You got what car was available. I would check the vehicle's shotgun every day. Racked one back and gum wrappers and cigarette butte came out of the breach. Barrel down keeps crud from dropping in the barrel. It also keeps oil from running into the stock. Just be sure to protect the muzzle's crown. For my stored in the down position guns I use a lightly oiled pad of several thicknesses of terry cloth for the muzzle to bear against. For the AR, it gets a plastic muzzle cap in the upright position. AC

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Do you guys think that the "gun socks" are a bad idea? Sorry I'm not trying to hijack he thread just thought that question fit in here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would not store a gun in a gun sock, they are ok, but do not protect as well as a padded
soft or hard case for transporting.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
04hunter, lots of good answers to your question already so I will skip that part.

Just remember, as everyone starts somewhere... don't worry about dumb questions, only the occasionally less than intelligent answers. :flute: :biggrin:

Jack

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and BFPGW

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've read considerable discussion on the subject of storing springs under compression, and the consensus among engineers and metallurgists, though not unanimous, is that cycling fatigues springs. Storing a spring compressed (or stretched) within its normal limits and not approaching its yield point does not cause fatigue. That said, I store mine in the fired position because leaving them in half cock invites dust and debris to enter the action.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/spring-aging-170486/

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Ok guys, as the title suggests, this may be an all timer. I just got my first Marlin, my first lever action, actually, and I was wondering in what position to store it. Should the hammer be resting on the safety or in the half cock position? Thanks for helping a new owner!
Hammer down on an empty chamber, barrel down to keep oil from migrating into the stock. The butt has no finish on the inletting, so is particularly succeptible to that. Oil in wood turns it punky, had a couple of Auto 5s that needed new wood because of that.

For storage in locker, safe or closet, I like the Bore Store sleeves. They're lined with enough synthetic pile to prevent safe marks on the wood but are porous enough to let air circulate. Hard cases that are air tight should only be used for transport, not storage. Have seen a number of guns that got rusty from storage in such cases, same with all-plastic zipper and sleeve cases. If you have few guns, you can keep it bare nekkid as long as it's kept somewhere where stuff won't fall on it or against it and ding the finish. If you want to hang it on a rack horizontally, just make sure the bore angles down. If you have a blued gun, you WILL need to run an oily rag over the surface periodically and after handling it. Some folks can leave etched fingerprints from just handling a blued gun, too. As far as where to store it, a lot depends on what your climate is. If you're in the desert, you could probably leave it outside for months and all that would happen is that it would get dusty and maybe the wood finish would get checked from the sun. Along the coast, you're going to need a storage area that is above ground, away from running water and can be kept above the dew point. Usually that means a safe or locker with a Golden Rod heater, and/or some kind of dessicant canister, replenished/regenerated as needed. Guns in such humid areas need to be inspected at frequent intervals, like at least weekly and something more than just gun oil used as a preservative. RIG grease is now available again, this is an old-timey rust preventative that was used in the corrosive ammo days. A tube of that will last a lifetime if you don't lose it or step on it. I like LPS 3 for that purpose, too, it's like cosmoline in a spray can, reminds me of Alox in the way it smells. I use that on outside tools in the tool shed.

If this is your first lever, you need to practice setting the hammer at half-cock from full-cock and if you're going to hunt, bringing it to full-cock silently. That little click can be heard a looong ways away by deer. If you have the cross-bolt safety, one of the things it's good for is dry fire practice. Practice shouldering the gun and aiming with it on. You should also practice taking it off and checking to see that it IS off before firing.

Stan S.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I store mine hammer down, barrel down, in a silicone stock. Don't use the case you carry your gun around in for storage. If you do it WILL rust. Bring your gun home, clean it, oil it and let it cool down before you put it in the safe.

Gun socks prevent nicks more than anything else, but I have one for each gun I own. Havent had any problems in the past 59 years!

Bob

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If asking "dumb questions" caused a problem here on the forum, I'd never have made it past the first week here! :flute: Actually there is no such thing as a dumb question...........just one you don't know the answer to. Keep asking...........the more you ask, the more you'll learn. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Do you guys think that the "gun socks" are a bad idea? Sorry I'm not trying to hijack he thread just thought that question fit in here.
I store mine in a safe inside of gunsocks. I think it protects them against each other as I have a bunch of them close together. I like them better than a case even outside of the safe as they can still breath but at the same time offer some protection to the gun. As far as storing I store mine with the hammer down and unloaded in a safe. The ones I use for protection are loaded and ready but I use the handgun method for that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts