Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
If you decide to make such a list, I will be glad to participate with my Old Timer credentials at that time. I've been doing this for 50+ years.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've only been loading for +45 years - still learning, but enjoy mentoring whenever opportunity presents.
I enjoy loading for handguns and rifles; used to load shotgun, but don't shoot them enough anymore to warrant the exercise.
I also cast rifle and handgun projectiles - for smokeless and black powder loads.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Interesting to see this topic revived!

When I began it with my first January 13, 2017 post, I thought such a list to have value and still do. However, the subject seemed to die for lack of interest.

I hoped in 2017, that the site administrators would pick up on the idea and move on with something, "Official". That didn't/has not happened.

Guess I can understand there not being an "official" list as face it, not all reloaders are good handloaders.

As Skyhunter indicates he is still learning, and we should all be doing so or at least be open for new ideas of value.

I wouldn't want a friend or family member of mine to be "mentored" by someone whose goal is only to make something go bang, someone who would barely make the minimum cut off as a reloader as such folk while possibly well meaning, for whatever reason just don't seem to get it.

I have been mentoring a young fellow for a year or so, and at least to this point and due to the questions which are repeatedly addressed, have the feeling that it will be an up hill climb to see him become a Handloader. At this point, he seems stuck at even below the level of a banger ammo producing, "reloader."

Seems that no matter how many times I stress the importance of quality bench time during testing of loads, he is still and repeatedly making wild guesses as to where to proceed from here. Hard to know what the next test load should be when test targets tell you nothing!

As important as proper and SAFE loading technics are, it seems that understanding that properly controlled firing of test loads is part of the total picture, and only after properly controlled testing do you have anything from which to proceed to the next step. No, at this point, I have my doubts that the young fellow will ever grasp the total concept of the handloading process.

Personally, I hope he will soon move on to his own equipment, as by this time we should have moved well beyond the grade school level of the process!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I'll toss my hat into the ring. I learned from my father and started reloading back in the very late 70's. Having done many aspects of it including making brass for obsolete calibers, designing my own bullet molds, loading for black powder through modern smokeless. At quick list of what I've reloaded for. 45-70, 45-90, 45-120 sharps, 44-77 Ballard, 40-60, 38-55, 38-56, 30-06, 30-30, 35 Rem, 243, 223, 380, 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 357mag and 45 lc. Probably a few I've forgotten over the decades.
Press from single stage, turret, and progressive.
I enjoy it very much and many times reload just because I can instead of buying new all the time. I've helped three others get into it and they've never looked back. Like any old timer I'm still learning new tips, trick, and techniques. As powders change and new ones come out along with bullet designs, and equipment.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been reloading for about 30 years... both smokeless and black powder cartridge. I'm available if someone is looking for a mentor.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts