Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible case of "barrel droop"

I stopped in a Gun Shop that I had never been to before today. I was nosing around for a 338 MX, and spied a 308 MX. Upon examination I found a 91 serial number and a JM proof mark. Closer inspection showed a separation of wood from receiver at the top of the area where the forend meets the receiver. Eyeballing it, and comparing it to a 336 that was also there, it seemed to me to have the dreaded droops. I explained to the proprietor, in my best non accusatory, non know it all way, ( in this endeavor I probably failed miserably), the potential problem, and the experiences that I have witnessed here. I told him that if he wanted to check it, he could bore sight it and if there was a problem it would show up there - easy to see! He seemed mildly interested, but seemed more interested in hearing that the CUSTOMER could send the gun back to Remington if a problem showed up. He didn't earn a desire on my part to give him any business - now or in the future. Have to say though - the gun comes up to the shoulder really nicely, points and balances well, and just looks and feels SWEET! Handling one has renewed my desire to find a good 338 MX.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: Possible case of "barrel droop"

Crappy wood fit may be an indicator but not always, look at where the barrel screws in to the receiver! look at other guns where the barrel meets the receiver, if the fit is not nice and clean, [no gaps] then it would be suspect to having problems but crappy wood seems to be becoming the norm, and the 91 serial number is highly suspect although not limited to. Dennis

·
Registered
23 Posts

My brother just bought his 308 xlr last week. It seems like the exact picture of what you describe. It also starts with a 91 serial number. Was this a bad run? Also what leads me to suspect a problem with this gun the jm stamp on the barrel isn't even stamped right (it's half missing) leading me to believe it was a lack of quality control.

We just went to cabelas and compared his to a 338 on the shelf and the 338 looks way better. No gap at the wood where it meets the receiver, and the jm stamp was done right and the fit and finish just seems better.

·
Registered
846 Posts

My 308 mx that I just bought a month ago is a 93 and only had one flaw that i could see and it was the JM stamp, only the M was there but the rest of gun was great! Dennis

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts

I bought a 308xlr in 2007 serial# 93xxxx6 a 338mx in 2009 serial#92xxxxx a 336xlr-35r in 2010 serial# 93xxxx2 I would like if someone really knows to tell me what are the serial numbers involved in this factor defect. 308/338 I have scoped looks good and is impressively accurate. The 336XLR-35R is still NIB. but is in perfect shape. My understanding is that the 336XLR-35R weren't popular so didn't sell well and I got it on sale, hence the discontinue of it in 2011. But I'm glade I got it. It must have been in the box for 3 years until I bought it. So I like to hear about any problem going back to 2007 if any.

TO NY

·
Registered
206 Posts

Ef4life said:
My brother just bought his 308 xlr last week. It seems like the exact picture of what you describe. It also starts with a 91 serial number. Was this a bad run?
The 91#'s range must vary as for good or bad. I have two 91's and they are great, not a problem. It seems to reason that the earlier made 91's SN# are good to go. It would be interesting to know some data on and at what point in the 91 range that Remlin took over and started puting out the junk we are seen now. Especially the ones with the barrel drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My 338 has a "92" serial number. I bought it 18 months ago. No problems. My 308 has an "MR" serial number. I bought it 2 weeks ago...BIG PROBLEM!!! I've already sent it back. I've got a repair code they issued so I can check my status online.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I was given a status code back in Oct. It changed from pending inspection to making repairs back in early Dec after lots of emails and phone calls wondering what was going on. The status as never changed since, so I don't believe it was ever meant to keep you informed, rather to keep you at bay.

·
Registered
846 Posts

Mine went back end of December and they sent me to the same place! What is this place they call at Bay? I don't like it here any more! actually is sucks, no palm trees, no sandy beach, no Mai Ties, I want to go home. Sorry I have had the Flu for the last three days and I think My fever just broke, But I feel your Pain. Dennis

·
Registered
356 Posts

TmbrWlkr said:
I stopped in a Gun Shop that I had never been to before today. I was nosing around for a 338 MX, and spied a 308 MX. Upon examination I found a 91 serial number and a JM proof mark. Closer inspection showed a separation of wood from receiver at the top of the area where the forend meets the receiver. Eyeballing it, and comparing it to a 336 that was also there, it seemed to me to have the dreaded droops. I explained to the proprietor, in my best non accusatory, non know it all way, ( in this endeavor I probably failed miserably), the potential problem, and the experiences that I have witnessed here. I told him that if he wanted to check it, he could bore sight it and if there was a problem it would show up there - easy to see! He seemed mildly interested, but seemed more interested in hearing that the CUSTOMER could send the gun back to Remington if a problem showed up. He didn't earn a desire on my part to give him any business - now or in the future. Have to say though - the gun comes up to the shoulder really nicely, points and balances well, and just looks and feels SWEET! Handling one has renewed my desire to find a good 338 MX.
Ask the owner if he or you could take off the barrel stock and look at where the barrel threads into the frame. IMHO if you cannot physically see that the barrel is not seated properly it is probably good. Take your pen light and observe the chamber and note any tooling marks. Cycle the action and drop the hammer, is the hammer scuffing the frame excessively? Some gun shops offer a trade in program. That is where you buy a firearm and if you do not want it, you can trade it in for the value you paid for it and use it towards a gun of equal or more value. Ask if he will do this. Ask his expertise. If he is not a gunsmith ask to have a gunsmith over to look at the gun. Plunking $700 cash on something better mean the owner is with you through the long haul and not just to take your money to the bank. Just my opinion.

In my life I have watched too many great lever action calibers die a miserable death. The 338 MX is the best of the best of any caliber ever chambered in a Marlin rifle. Do not let one get away because a few guys are having issues with them. But take some added precautions before buying them. However you slice it, the 338 MX is better at 200 yards than a 30-30 is at the muzzle. It spanks the 45-70 and 444 very handily and does so economically to boot! The 35 Rem is a feeble old man by comparison. (but don't let the girls hear that). Whatever, if it dies it dies I guess. Seems to happen to all the best cartridges sooner or later.

·
Registered
846 Posts

You Don't need to take off the barrel stock! what Your looking for is ON TOP where the Barrel meets the recever! Look threw some of these posts and You will find pictures fo such. all you need is your Eyes to see it. A stait edge on top of the recever to the front sight will conferm what you see. Dennis

·
Registered
356 Posts

Have not seen it myself, and I did try to go through some of the so called barrel droop threads. I could not find a picture that conclusively looked like the barrel was screwed into the frame askew (not saying that it is not here somewhere). I have heard about the problems and I do not disbelieve the owners of the bad guns, its just that I don't think that 99.9% of the guns sold are bad. I think people reading things can build things up in their mind to the point of hysteria, and really the facts are that some Marlins are being sent back, I would be interested in how many are being sent back now vs. before the move. I also think that a lot of this hysteria has to do with the Remington purchase, and later move. I don't like it, but we are all going to kill Marlin if we keep this up. All this negative talk will kill the 338 Marlin as dead as the dodo. I have enough brass, so I am set. I am glad I have a couple of them now, and might buy more if I can find them for a good deal. No problems on my end, beautiful guns, the bolts are fitted and marked, stocks are fitted as good as any Marlin I own. The bore and chambers are smooth as a baby's bottom. The action cycles better than either of my 36's... Its too bad that a few lemons escaped Connecticut and caused this fiasco.

Anyway, I want Marlin to keep going. They need to monitor their quality control and produce things that their rep was built on. I think they know this, and lets wait and see? It's not like Remington came and forced their money on the company, they took it, and sold it, and we should be happy they are not being made in Japan, or even being made at all. Keep it up.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts

RIF said:
The 35 Rem is a feeble old man by comparison. (but don't let the girls hear that). Whatever, if it dies it dies I guess. Seems to happen to all the best cartridges sooner or later.
That is a good analogy. The 338 is everything the 35 Remington aspired to be. That's why when I first got my hand on the little cartridge I knew I had to have one. I told my brother this is what I have been trying to get the 35 Remington to do. If they would have had the 338 back in 1966 when I bought my first 336 in 35 Remington, I probably would have never bought a 30-06.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Well it's been a while since I've been here, but the 308mx my brother bought was returned to the store. Cabelas didn't want to take it back, but when we walked in with a 3 ft level and planted it on the receiver and showed them how bad it was, over 1.5" it droped from receiver to the end of the barrel. They luckily gave us store credit and my brother bought a Remington 700 stainless heavy Varmint barrel chambered in 308. That is an incredibly nice shooting rifle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts