Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try dentists, ones thqat havnt gone over to computer x rays. each little film pack has a 1 inch square but not very thick piece of lead in it.they were required to keep them around till disposed of properly, we got several hundred pounds that way. very pure and soft too.
cliff

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Thanks for the tip, that is a source I had not thought of.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
But isn't old x-rays used for Silver recovery

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
But isn't old x-rays used for Silver recovery
If I remember correctly the lead square was used as a backing on the film used in x-rays. Sorta keep the x-ray radiation from going to places it was not suppose to. Like the old lead aprons and such. You can get alot of lead from those to the aprons and such.The x-ray film is a source of silver or silver bromide but you have to collect alot. But there are places that would pay up to 6.00 dollars a pound for x-rays.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes the lead was in the back of the packet, I worked at Kodak in Rochester NY and saw the tooling in our shop and how the x ray film was put together. Not sure how many dentists use them anymore.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
I sortof feel bad after reading this thread....
I was hired to tear town an old shed on a widdow ladys
property and found a 5 gallon bucket of lead ingots....
I sold them for scrap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some sheetmetal shops have sheet lead. It is custom cut for counter flashing, roofjacks etc mostly for tile roofs where metal will not "bend to fit". Lots of scrap lead to be had there.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Very soft lead to be found as balancing weights in some new ceiling fans too. Little gray self adhesive sheets. Oddly, the fans are almost never out of balance, if your ceiling fan wobbles, something (especially the box it's mounted to) isn't snugged down tight. Also, old tackle boxes at yard sales and flea malls.

Also, I got a bunch of very soft lead one time when we remodeled an old medical office that had an X ray room. The walls were lined with lead, and those walls were being torn out. We rolled it up in sheets, and made lots of fishing weights and black powder bullets from it, and some for an 1895 .45-70 too.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just watch out for the lead off the telephone company cables, it contains arsenic, and can make you real sick or worse breathing the fumes.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
just watch out for the lead off the telephone company cables, it contains arsenic, and can make you real sick or worse breathing the fumes.
When my brother worked for the phone company that is all I used. Always melted it down outside though. It never affected me.
When my brother worked for the phone company that is all I used. Always melted it down outside though. It never affected me.

Reactions: GaCop
1 - 10 of 10 Posts