Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a RUGER "slab side" .22 rimfire for some 50' Slow, Timed and Rapid target shooting with a Leupold 2X scope mounted I began to wonder about the possibility of using a red dot sight.

Some of the other shooters were using red dots of various manufactures, some the type that look much like a standard scope.

I began looking at those types of sight, especially at the Leupold products due to many years of great service and satisfaction with that brand.

The list price about put me into shock, but the "street" price was a good bit better.

I REALLY LIKE the end result!!!!!!!!! Was only able to shoot the final two sessions of the Spring, but WOW this is nice!

I bought the smaller of the two available red dots, I think it is a 2.5moa dot and it is great for this competition, the dot being what seems to be the perfect size considering the size of the "black" on these targets.

One thing I DO NOT like about fiber optics is the way those sights seem to glow to an overly LARGE size and not allowing precise sight alignment.

The dot brightness is adjustable on this Leupold sight and one of the lower settings seems just right for the targets and lighting situation at our range.

I have seen posts of this sight on much heavier recoiling handguns, but have not been there or done that, but am well satisfied with this sight on my .22 target pistol.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
pics or it didn't happen..........

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK guys, I hear ya!

In the one image that seems to have some glowing red in the bottom of the sight window, it must be some type of reflection from the flash, as the sight is not, "on".

Note that there is an adapter required to, in this case, mount the Delta Point Pro to the Weaver type mount. Took me a second try to get the correct adapter that goes between the sight and the Weaver mount.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Light Lighting Photography Camera accessory
Gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Cameras & optics Gun accessory
Gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marlinjunkie,

I'll never be a world class competitor, but the local gun club opened up a trial run to see if there was enough interest in the handgun Slow, Timed and Rapid - 50' .22 rimfire shoot and I jumped on the chance.

Did shoot this competition years back and many times wished to again have the chance, so collectively the shooters had a ball and ended the trial run with MUCH excitement and looking forward to next Spring for another chance to join in on this shoot.

Couple of the guys even bought the fancy Volquertsen .22s at about 1200 - 1300 per copy.

Have no plans to go there, but as stated above sure like the Leupold Red Dot and this RUGER is not only a great and accurate shooter with a good trigger, but I will need to work - lots - to be able to shoot up to it's capabilities.

Can't blame the tools if I happen to shoot some poor scores.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I don't put scopes or other optical devices on my handguns but there is no doubt they work. I have seen amazing groups shot with
scopes & other optics, most from a rest. If you can't shoot irons they aren't going to help. If you are a decent shot with irons they
will help you. The factor of single point focus and magnification for failing eyesight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.