Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out? I am considering the purchase of a guide gun in 450 with a non-ported barrel. How does this compare to the porterd guns? I have a 22" 45-70 that I enjoy shooting. Do the ports make a significant difference in muzzleblast or reduce recoil that much? Should I hold out for a ported one or jump on this one?

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Well I'm gunna jump in here and give you my opinion. I've shot plenty of non-ported big bores and can tell you that it does make a difference with helping to control muzzle jump. It won't do much if anything for recoil, wasn't designed to. The ported models are not any louder to the shooter but will cause discomfort to bystanders if they are ill equipped.

Everyone on this board knows that I love my ported Marlins so I'll end with the following. If you like the non-ported looks & feel and it's a good price, buy it. If you don't mind waiting to find a ported model, wait.... they are really something to behold.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Portin is for Sissies and girls ;D
I shoot my 45-70 hot, and enjoy every minute of it. Good groups, a long ways away

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Will ports make a 450 or hot 45 70 easier to control (hit what your shootin at)?

·
Banned
610 Posts
I recently stopped a charging concrete deer with 4 shots from my 444. The ports helped keep me on target. Might have been gored if I was toting any other gun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, if you look at the 2011 Marlin catalog on their web site, I believe that you'll see that the 450 Marlin is missing.

It looks like its going to get harder to find any 450's at all.

I found that the ports make controling the 45-70GG somewhat easier at the bench than my 1895GBL is with hotter loads.
Those ports are also rather hard on any hunting buddy's ears that may be standing near you in the woods when you touch her off!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Pard said:
Portin is for Sissies and girls ;D
I shoot my 45-70 hot, and enjoy every minute of it. Good groups, a long ways away
Forget the 45-70 your avatar is HOT! :eek:

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have the ported 450, never fired an unported one. I don't have anything to compare against but my 450 is suprizing light on recoil and barrel lift. I was very pleased at shooting it the first time, I put 30 rounds thru it in one sitting. A couple of recoil junkies gathered around for a try at it, I let them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Well I'm gunna jump in here and give you my opinion. I've shot plenty of non-ported big bores and can tell you that it does make a difference with helping to control muzzle jump. It won't do much if anything for recoil, wasn't designed to. The ported models are not any louder to the shooter but will cause discomfort to bystanders if they are ill equipped.

Everyone on this board knows that I love my ported Marlins so I'll end with the following. If you like the non-ported looks & feel and it's a good price, buy it. If you don't mind waiting to find a ported model, wait.... they are really something to behold.
That says it all for me! Total agreement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts