Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,265 Posts
I WOULD NEVER Never ever own a ported gun as far as reducing recoil buy a 22lr
They have hurt more hunters then they have ever helped.
Worst Option ever invented!!!!!!
Military Snipers Ok
The Rest Stupid

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Do not ever buy a Ported gun
If you cannot handle the recoil buy a 22
Snipers who need to call the shot Ok.
The rest buy what you can Handle!!!
Do not hurt yourself or others!!!!!!!!!!

· El Kabong
8,078 Posts
Ports, we dont have no ports, we dont need no stinking ports......

If your shooting proper loads from a 45/70 should not need to be ported.

Dont like adjustable gas plugs on M1/M14s either

· Registered
8,413 Posts
For the ported haters.

Military snipers don't use ports they use muzzle brakes!

I think some may be confusing ports with muzzle brakes!

Ports do not reduce recoil!

Muzzle brakes reduce recoil..... and are louder than all...well....you know what!:vollkommenauf:

Ports reduce muzzle rise for getting back on target for a quick second shot, and not all that much I might add!

I just hope the ported haters know the difference between the two when trying to talk someone out of a ported Marlin!:flute:

Ports and muzzle brakes are two different animals.

They don't even look the same.

Again...I had both in 45-70 and both in 35 Rem.

I couldn't tell the difference! YMMV! :biggrin:

· Premium Member
12,598 Posts
I sold my ported Guide Gun and replaced it with the 22" non-ported 1895, which was much easier for me to shoot well.

The ported Guide Gun was a hoot, but oh my goodness, what a muzzle blast! At the rifle range it wasn't too bad. I could put on ear plugs and ear muffs, giving myself double protection. When I'd haul it out though, my sons, and my friends, would get off the firing line. Nobody liked being near it when I was shooting.

Shot a mulie at about 70 yards with it. That worked out real well, she went down like a bag of rocks, but of course I was hunting without ear protection. My left ear rang for an hour afterwards and hearing only slowly returned...

Yeah, I vote for the non-ported, 22" model... Never heard anyone complain about the even longer-barreled Cowboy model being too loud!

Regards, Guy

· Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Well got to the pawn shop and it sold the previous day so I guess I'll look for another. It was selling for 450 though. Would have been nice to have
For that price it shouldn't have mattered (ports or not)
You could have cut the ports off (Read 16.25") and had a non ported for a good price. OR you could have decided if the ports were a good thing or not...?

If you see another at that price, act like a cat,,,, POUNCE! :biggrin:

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

· Registered
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Had to beg the wife for it first. She just doesn't understand good investments. Even if I didn't want it I could of gotten my money back at that price or made some off of it. Next time I'll just sneak one in. But I had to justify it for myself before she said OK. Then it was all too late

· Banned
2,811 Posts
This is a question for those who have shot or owned both and aren't as biased as those that only have or used one or the other. Which would you rather own? A ported or non ported 45-70 1895g
I have a ported Winchester 94 Trails End take-down in 450 Marlin that weighs 6 1/2 pounds that would pulverize my shoulder and collar bone to mush if it wasn't for the barrel porting and Pacymayr recoil pad.

That thing puts out 3500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy with the factory 350 grain Hornady LeveRevolution ammo.

Neither of my scoped Guide Guns is ported but weigh considerably more than the scoped Winchester and are putting out the same power levels. I don't find recoil a problem with my Guide Guns.

I wouldn't want to shoot the ultralight Winchester 94/450 Marlin without the ports in the barrel.

Reactions: sindbad

· Registered
2,960 Posts
Myself I prefer a non ported rifle, as for other shooters on the range I REALLY prefer they shoot non ported rifles.

If you want a real eye opener shoot or stand next to someone shooting a magnaported S&W 29 with full loads!:ahhhhh:

· Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I just had my SBL ported and will tell you that it really does help with muzzle rise. Witch is why I had it done.
I took two deer last session with her and muzzle rise was the only thing that i could think of that could of improved.
View attachment 20140505_223657.jpg

Reactions: [email protected]

· Registered
17 Posts
Flesh
Bought mine after reading the forums, so I was looking for a non-ported one, but found a good deal on a ported. First 45-70, first ported rifle. Best I can tell, it isn't any louder than my longer Ruger M77 .338 wm; more of a "whump" than a high pitched crack. All the jive about ported barrels had me thinking it was going to kill ears like a .223. Even my friend who told me it was going to kill my ears said it wasn't bad. My other moose guns have a more deafening pitch. I hunt without ear protection. I've had the bionic ear muffs and in the bush you can't tell where the sounds are coming from, and the thick bush rips them off your head, scrapes them and makes annoying scratchy sounds. This is my main berry picking gun and river gun #2. My main river gun is my .338. I like the idea of non-ported in the classic sense; but I say, "don't believe the negativity about the ported." I wear muffs at the range, but I've harvested moose/bear each year for my family since I was a kid, and my ears are still pretty sharp; I hear animals and such that others don't. If you're like me, you'll probably do more damage with chainsaws, snowmachines, 4 wheelers, power tools, generators, etc. than an occasional harvest shot.

Attachments

· Registered
2,905 Posts
I have a guide gun with ports and an ABL without. I always wear ear plugs at the range and can't tell the difference. I have got a few deer with the non ported ABL but never had the chance to shoot something live with the ported guide gun. I know on my ported 336D the noise didn't bother when I got my doe this year....and yes I do realize a .35 rem is not the same as a .45-70

· Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
13,010 Posts
When the benefit outweighs the pain and suffering to yourself and bystanders. Packing the heaviest caliber per pound rifle into the mountains for one or two shots would be one of my only ported guns. AC

· Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Had to beg the wife for it first. She just doesn't understand good investments. Even if I didn't want it I could of gotten my money back at that price or made some off of it. Next time I'll just sneak one in. But I had to justify it for myself before she said OK. Then it was all too late
Ah, Marlinitis!! - It can make a honest man untruthful, a devoted spouse a cheater, an open person secretive ...... take comfort my friend, you are not alone. :(

Now, back to the original question. Given the fact that one must work the lever to chamber a follow-up round, any reduction in muzzle rise is likely meaningless. I suppose some can work the lever so smoothly from the shoulder as to not disturb muzzle position, but I suspect it is dang few. Bringing the muzzle down to the target as the lever is worked is more probable.

On a semi-auto, I suppose one could make the case, but on a lever? Yes, it looks cool. Is it louder? Methinks it is.

BTW, the thing that most impressed me when I first started shooting ARs is the lack of muzzle rise. What a great design!!

T.S.

Reactions: farmersteve

· Registered
2,245 Posts
This is a question for those who have shot or owned both and aren't as biased as those that only have or used one or the other. Which would you rather own? A ported or non ported 45-70 1895g

I HAVE NOT shot both, but I've shot other rifles (.50 BMG) with ports and have been around people shooting ported rifles including Marlin .45-70's. In once case I was sitting two benched down from a guy with a ported Marlin and was getting hit in the neck by what I think was unburnt powder or lead shavings. Had to call a cease-fire and get the situation straightened out. It would not have been good to get hit in the eye instead. So, in addition to the noise issue, there is a definite safety issue for bystanders as well.

While I understand the benefit of ports in terms of reduced recoil, in the past I have consciously made purchasing decisions that avoided them. As I get older and become more concerned about the effects of repeated, heavy recoil, including detached retinas, I am starting to favor them for some applications. In the meantime, I've been shooting lighter recoiling loads in the .45-70 and smaller cartridges.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice, but people with ports need to be considerate of those around them.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.