Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those who have shot or owned both and aren't as biased as those that only have or used one or the other. Which would you rather own? A ported or non ported 45-70 1895g

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have both and I wont use my ported guns on up close game (hogs) deafening!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Shoot a 444p in thick woods up close to a creek bank and you will understand. Cant wear hearing protection and still hear the dogs, I use a sawed off .35 336 for those conditions now.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have both and love them both....you definitely feel the difference between the two....the ported barrel does not rise like the non-ported. If you are behind it you shouldn't notice the noise difference, but you will definitely notice if you are next to it! You can't appreciate what the porting does for you till you fire the two types of rifles back to back. It'll come down to where you shoot and personal preference though.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I have both ported and non ported guide guns, I agree with mazer, If you are are anywhere except behind it then it is loud for sure. The ported versions do reduce muzzle rise quite a bit which is nice for follow up shots. Doesn't do much for recoil though. That bieng said I prefer the ported version.
JB

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have a ported 45-70 guide gun, an unported 22" 1895 and an unported 450 guide gun. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in any of the three in terms of recoil, or noise. The 45/70 guide is incredibly accurate, but that has nothing to do with the ports. I do think the ports LOOK cool.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Too LOUD when ported. Use a lighter load and be happier in the long term.

·
Registered
292 Posts
C.G., I'll bet the 22" will chronograph the highest with factory ammo. Shorter barrels and ported barrels don't let the 45-70 burn all the powder before the bullet is gone. I love to look at a ported 45-70 being fired at night!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes, the longer barrel does result in a bit more velocity. It is the accuracy from the short barrel that truly surprises me.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Have/Had Both, I like'em ported! :tee: loud is loud and I cant say one is worse than the other while huntin. Get it in under a roof top than the ports might seem louder...

Ported is my fav though.
BloodGroove4570

·
Banned
94 Posts
I have both and have trouble remembering what the report is on either. I only shoot with serious hearing protection in my all day range sessions and when hunting I only shoot once and it's totally instinctual and focused on the animal not the rifle. On rare occasions a finishing shot is necessary for humane reasons on walking up to a downed animal and thats the only time I ever notice recoil or noise but I can't say my ported is louder than non-ported. A rifle's report is loud and should only be fired at most twice without hearing protection. Hearing is important to any hunter. protect it when shooting for fun.
good hunting and hearing
Lj

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I prefer the non ported version. Personally I cant tell any difference in muzzle rise but I can tell the difference in noise. As posted earlier, shoot in a deep ravine, or next to a big rock. The ported barrels will be excessivly loud. At least that has been my experience with a ported 30-06 I have.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hunted with a guide in Africa that wouldn't allow ported guns because he is close to the shooter when shots are fired, especially when backing up hunters on dangerous game. But that was for his own needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I prefer non ported.

If I was shooting many rounds in a range situation where I could load up on ear protection I would like the ported version better.
Different aplications and different tastes.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well got to the pawn shop and it sold the previous day so I guess I'll look for another. It was selling for 450 though. Would have been nice to have

·
Registered
395 Posts
The ported rifles are a bit louder, but accuracy is the same in both. I have heard that the reason the porting was discontinued was because the ports would fill with lead, I didn't have that problem with mine in all the time I owned it.
I think the extra holes added time to the rifle without the extra dollars at the time of sale. If you have a ported one, shoot it a and enjoy them as they should be.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts