Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Crusty Deary O'l Coot
Thanks for relaying that story.
It does show how tough some game can be & also how almost unbelievably fast any dangerous game is. Though I REALLY enjoy handguns my rifle is first line of defense when I'm in Bear country, which is almost all country here. When I'm in dark timber after Elk I really prefer my .45-70 or .375H&H.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
That story makes you think MORE than twice about what your carrying and the load that is in it. A handgun is your last ditch effort and I mean last ditch effort.:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
By the way, I suspect Arla's .338, a Howa, held 4 rounds including the one in the chamber and the guides .375 held 3 rounds.

As said earlier, they were wishing for more ammo when that big Ol'Boar finally went down.

CDOC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting to me that this subject came up. I was planning to ask this question elsewhere.

For some time now I've been been contemplating the purchase of a Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan in .454 for use while flyfishing in Grizzley country. Thoughts? Any fly fishermen who have a worst-case, defense strategy?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Interesting to me that this subject came up. I was planning to ask this question elsewhere.

For some time now I've been been contemplating the purchase of a Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan in .454 for use while flyfishing in Grizzley country. Thoughts? Any fly fishermen who have a worst-case, defense strategy?
Love my Alaskan. Hogue grips and XS big dot sights.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
tman,

I have a hard time trying to find a reason for shooting light for caliber bullets from a 45/70. In fact an extremely hard time!!!!!!!!!!

When I first started down the road with the 45/70, I did so for one reason. Being an old feller, I wanted to do something within reasonable reach that I had NOT done for hunting and hand loading.

I had formed cases and used wildcats, I had hunted game animals with center fires from the .243 through the 300s also using a number of cartridges between, I had hand loaded for years and I had cast my hand gun bullets for many years.

I had not, however, hunted game using a rifle and my own cast bullets, so buying and using and casting for a 45/70 just seemed like a no brainer.

Now, the problem that surfaced early on was the fact that I addressed the hand loading for the 45/70 in the same manner as I had hand loaded for typical center fire and high velocity cartridges for many years. WRONG! the 45/70 is a whole different cat!

For hunting that first year, I fell into the trap of using a lighter bullet and since I was using a RUGER #1 in the 45/70 I could safely load in my accustomed manner, picking powders then progressing to ever larger powder charges and higher velocities.

I tested the chosen 355gr LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) Wide Flat Nose bullet to velocities a bit over 2500fps and hunted with it the first year at 2300fps.

Well it took only one deer to show me the error of my ways. The WFN bullets are HIGHLY effective and I never ever want to see a wound channel that size again. The bone an tissue was not minced as would have been the case with a jacketed expanding bullet, it was simply GONE!!!!! The oft repeated comment about eating right up to the hole when using cast bullets may be quite true, but never in this world had I expected to see a hole that big and my first thought was, "just what in the world have I turned loose on the game population."

I had fallen into the trap of attempting to make the 45/70 into what it was never meant to be and what it NEVER will be. If my goal is to extend the range with higher velocity, well there are cartridges just Soooooooooo much better suited for that goal, cartridges such as the .444 or better still a .375 in which a 300gr cast bullet might very well be awesome.

If the goal is NOT to extend the range by using higher velocity, then simply what is the point of using light for caliber bullets?

The Hornady FTX gummy nose/burger on the hoof bullet has been mentioned and while this bullet has proven to be VERY accurate in many rifles, it is also well proven to be devastating and very short on penetration should heavy bone or muscle be impacted. And yes I have seen such results. Pick your shots and hunting being what hunting is that is not always successfully possible or be prepared for the good possibility of undesirable results.

Using a Leupold CDS (Custom Dial System) 2X7 scope on my 45/70 with my chosen 465gr WFN at 1650fps, my custom dial goes to 275yds which is a far piece. If that is not satisfactory for my hunting situations, baring in mind that using the 45/70 or any similar cartridge requires a change of mind set from the use of the typical high velocity rounds many of us grew up with, then I should be looking at a different cartridge for my conditions/hunting/mind set.

One of the problems with the light for caliber bullets is their loss of energy and velocity no matter how fast you may start them.

Going into the use of the grand old (1873) 45/70 with a proper mind set and the use of a well cast WFN bullet of 400+ grains can prove to be ever so satisfying an endeavor, at least once I got out of the mind set developed with and still useful for the high velocity cartridges with "J" bullets of good integrity, my 45/70 journey has been ever so enjoyable and the results nothing short of awesome on deer and elk.

oh-behi, Thanks for the links!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
No doubt, bigger is better, But the 300 grn. bullet in the 45-70 will get the job done, the 325grn is also been proven very effective on big bears. Carry a handgun for back up is different than caring it for hunting. Agree with what you said about what "experts" would agree on as an "adequate" hand gun being to heavy and left in camp. A K frame short barreled .357 or a Colt Commander or Glock in .45ACP is better than your bare hands if you somehow become separated from your long gun or your long gun somehow broke. A stretch,I know, but better to have it and not need it then getting ate. Up close, either will have enough power for the bullet to penetrate and destroy vital organs. I don't want to HUNT a big bear with a handgun, if I had to I'm going with a .44 Magnum with a 300grn bullet as bare minimum.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I like a bullet that starts with .4 about 240-270grs, SWC, cast of Wheel Weights, & loaded to a managable 1000fps.
Shot placement is critical & I can shoot this load a lot & not suffer. Shooting a lot gives confidence, confidence adds to accuracy. I have also found that a bullet such as I use will penetrate almost unbelievably in a straight line. If you are in a shooting situation with something big, hairy, bent on killing you, only accuracy & penetration will get you out of it.
Bill Jordan said it well, "Speeds fine, accuracy is final"! He was talking about gunfighting however it applies to defense from anything I feel.

·
Registered
254 Posts

So, what would you do if you awoke @ 2:00 am and that bear wasn't there? :biggrin:
[SUB]If it was me, I would run to check to see if my picnic basket was also missing! 😁

Ray[/SUB]

·
Registered
130 Posts
How much real world gain in follow up shots should I expect from porting? Or is it so minor that anything gained would be negligible? I'm just not sure how much time I should expect to have after the first shot, before Mr. Grizz is in my face
all styles of porting aren't equal .... the only style that we have found to work for us is done by Mag-na-port .... their process most certainly makes a difference in barrel jump and offers a secondary reduction of felt recoil .... what it doesn't do is redirect a portion of the muzzle blast back into the face of the shooter .... it will increase the sound from the muzzle blast to the side, example when firing from a bench there will be an increase directed at shooting stations on each side .... once again, not back at the person pulling the trigger .... in our collection we have a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag, a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY Mag, and a Remington stainless 30-06 that have been Mag-na-ported .... the recoil from a 300 WBY cartridge is brutal and the muzzle jump is considerable .... since having ours Mag-na-ported, when shooting from sandbags, you can take your hand off of the fore-end and the barrel will not jump off of the bag .... I have seen the bullet impact on each of the last 3 deer that I've taken with that rifle .... we will be ordering a 45-70 within the next few months .... if, after firing it, we believe that muzzle jump is an issue, we will not hesitate to have it Mag-na-ported .... dealing with felt recoil is a different matter .... while Mag-na-porting does help, we have found that done in combination with having mercury recoil suppressor and a Kick-eez Modified Trap Recoil Pad professionally installed does wonders .... just to make it clear, our only connection to any of these product is that of a customer who has put them to extensive use, over time, and found them to work

41 - 53 of 53 Posts