Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a ported 1895G and a non-ported 1895GS over a chronograph yesterday. I used factory Remington 405 grains so hopefully they would be more consistent than my reloads. I realize chamber size, barrel dimensions, how smooth the barrel is, and other things other than just the ports could have an effect on velocity, but on these two rifles the non=ported GS averaged 1085 fps and the ported G averaged 999 fps. Any of you ever have the opportunity to compare the non-ported and ported side by side? Just wondering if the ports are the main reason for the difference?

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Haven't shot both a ported and unported version as you have. Good job running the experiment!

It makes sense that the ports would bleed off some velocity, after all, instead of directing all the burning gasses out the muzzle, behind the bullet, some are diverted to the sides, moving nothing downrange.

I do know that my little ported guide gun is both one of my favorite rifles, and one of the loudest!

BTW - thanks for chronographing the factory loads, I suspected they were pretty mild, but anticipated a bit more than 1000 fps... Regards, Guy

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
What is the report like with those subsonic rounds?

·
Registered
912 Posts
thanks for sharing the results of your test...good to see you're testing apples with apples.....test makes sense...i thought you would lose velocity but not that much!!....larry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jackfish, I also chronographed a .30-06 from a 9 lb scoped Remington Model 760 (22 inch barrel I think) at 2638 fps for a l68 gr bullet and a 6 1/4 lb Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 (20 inch barrel) 150 gr bullet at 1944 fps. The recoil and report for the .45/70s was in between the .30-30 and .30-06. Obviously the .45/70 load was much milder than many loads used in the 1895s and from what had been described here and on Marlin Talk, the recoil and report was much milder than I expected, even from the factory load. I know the factory loads are mild enough to be used in all .45/70s, but I was surprised at the velocity being that low. It was a bright, sunny day but at this time of year, the sun was at a pretty good southern angle just after noon. Since I did not have an Oehler with the three screens to "check" the velocity, do you think the velocity may be wrong? I only shot five each over the screens.

Since I was wearing muffs, I could not give you an accurate description of the sound. I also video taped the shooting, but as you know, the sound is not real accurate on the tape either. They all sounded about the same on the tape. I wanted to compare the recoil, especially the "rise" between the ported and non-ported versions. I really could not tell much difference. Maybe with hotter loads I could. Might have to do a follow up when I get my moulds and see what some faster loads with ~400 grain linotype will show.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The faster the gas moves (higher the pressure) the more effect you will see from the ports. I bet you see a real difference if you take the 300 gr. factory loads out and do the same experiment.

BTW, good on you for trying this.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I just count the barrel length as ending where the ports begin because of the bleedoff of pressure. Probably not too far off if you compare a ported with a shorter barrelled gun that is perhaps sawed off just before the ports....if you get my drift. That shorter length has got to make a difference especially in an already short barrel.

Perferator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts