Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 336d come with a ported barrel.
Seen in another post a guys 35 rem. With the barrel
Ported.
Next question have any of you ported your 35. And has it changed how your gun shoots or groups.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The 35D is ported, I own a few ported Marlins (not that particular model) and they are louder, however, if you own an unported model (especially in 45-70) and fired them back to back, you would notice that the ported model doesn't kick as much and the barrel does not rise like the non-ported version will.
I like the ported barrels, not everyone does :).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just came back from a 4 gun shop trip.
The first I haven't been in maybe 8 yes or more.
What's he got on the shelf a ported barrel marlin.
Made in ct. Its a 450 cal.used with a Bushnell. scope 499.00
I had a hard time walking out of there.
I really don't need another wood Chuck gun.
And I don't know if you can get ammo for it.
The shop doesn't even have 35 rem ammo..and I never have looked any were for 450 marlin .so I would nt know if you can buy easy enuf.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good lookin trio! :tee:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like no one has taken a non ported
Gun to a gun smith and had it ported.
And can say that it has or has not changed the
Way it group's or shoots.
I mite be the first one.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Have you considered instead of "porting", having a muzzle brake installed? I've been considering that for one of my 45-70's. One thing I like about a muzzle brake is that you can have your barrel threaded..this way, if you change your mind, you can remove it, replace it with a plug(cover) or whatever you want. Porting the barrel is kinda permanent.
Something like this:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
western auto..... porting only reduces muzzle rise. It does not reduce recoil or make a gun shoot better.

Now a muzzle brake does reduce recoil which may let the shooter do a better job of hitting the target, but that's all.

Muzzle brakes are loud, but of the four ported models I have owned I never noticed a difference.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I know what they do.I just love the look of the ported barrel. I am just afraid that it could screw up the rifleing.not done at the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Well, I don't know where you are thinking of having it done, but if ported correctly, it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The 336D, as mentioned is indeed ported. The 35SS, a stainless sister version issued in .35 also, is not ported. Neat little rifles. I inded notice a sharper report from the 336D even with radical hearing protection. I also get some flyback from the metal jackets sometime. Eye protection is essential.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want a rifle ported send it to MAGNAPORT in Michingan. They do everything and on $1,000-$8,000 shotguns so you know it will be done right.

I have a 336D and feel the 35rem does not need the porting. How ever, porting does redirecting energy upward to reduce muzzle jump. That same energy if not redirected would be part of the ejecta gases going out the muzzle that does add to recoil. Most of the muzzle jump that moves the stock comb against your cheak is preceived as recoil more acurately its felt recoil.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well no wimp here" :biggrin: all my lever rifles are just fine without that porting , Or muzzle brakes . LOVE That RECOIL" Esp: on my 45~70 SGG... Make's people go :ahhhhh:when I light it off by them :biggrin:

Magnum6

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The 336D, as mentioned is indeed ported. The 35SS, a stainless sister version issued in .35 also, is not ported. Neat little rifles. I inded notice a sharper report from the 336D even with radical hearing protection. I also get some flyback from the metal jackets sometime. Eye protection is essential.
Man I love that stainless 35 without that barrel band Sidespin , didn't know there ever made that that stainless Without" that stupid barrel band .sucker in the stainless . Always wanted one of those 336's in the 30~30 Also without that dang barrel band ...

Magnum6 :tee:

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Just for info if interested, I've seen videos on YouTube showing the differences between ported and non-ported rifles; in slow motion etc. I remember watching one that was with 2 different 45-70s, and the difference in muzzle jump etc. was pretty impressive from what I recall. Maybe you can find them... good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks for the heads up AZ, I plan to take a look.

Magnum6, before I got that SS a Stainless .35 had always been on my Christmas list, barrel bands or no. I got wind that theSS was on the production line and just made up my mind I was going to buy one when production was complete. I got number 223 of 2000. I'm sure I paid too much for it, around $630 NIB maybe more. I feel a little guilty because I haven't shot it a single time. Not holding out, just haven't gotten around to it.

The 336D is a joy to shoot except for the flyback mentioned earlier. Not a huge deal but someting to be aware of. It's amazingly accurate.

Ss

I'd still like to have the regular design in stainless. Don't know why.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Man Brother , you got my Heart to Jumpin man . I'm gonna start me a search for one of the SS 35's ! I prob. can't fine me one since they only made 2000 of um , but Man That Sucker IS BEAUTIFUL" Bro. And No I don't think you paid to much for it . Heck man I paid about the same for my 1894 SS 44 , AND my 1895 SS 45~70 . That 35 SS you got there look Just Like these two I have here.
I don't have a 35 , but always wanted one , cause ole PaPa John Always Raved about his so much , but Now I Really Want one in that SS if I can locate on of them suckers :) I Hooked on them S/S Marlins period . Wish I had one in that 30~30 too WITHOUT that barrel band on it . Probably new happen now since Remington took over .

I Do like your 336D also , didn't know they only made 1000 of those either . THAT Sucker Has got some Beautiful wood on er too , but I'd just a soon have that one without the ports my sell.... Hang on um man , Your a Lucky Man fer Sure.... :congrats:

Magnum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts