Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally getting my long sought after 336D, I dont like the ported barrel. The report is nothing less than painful, and pain = damage. Does anyone know if Marlin is still doing the change and if there is a charge for this. I cant see the point of having to wear Walkers Game ears to protect something that is very good at this point. And sure as hell dont want to be in the woods with shooters muffs on. If possible I would like to go to the 16 1/2" If anyone has had this done could you please direct me to your contact person at Marlin. They are close (70 miles) so I will drive it over rather than deal with the BS from the shippers Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
My 1895 gg in 450 was painfull as well. I had it cut back and recrowned by my local smith at the same time added a packmeyer decelerator that made it a joy to shoot. It is still 17inches or slightly over and is a great shooter.

G

·
I guesse I got broke in shooting trap and skeet with ported barrels :? But I have the 450 ,45-70 ,444 ,35 ,357 and 44 that are ported and none of them bother me :!:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Can't you have the ports blocked or filled ??

My 45/70 GG is ported ,I don't like it ethier !

Buckeye

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 336D is a sought-after rifle. You may want to buy another barrel and keep the original.

I cut the barrel of my ported Guide Gun to 16.3", just enough to get rid of the ports. The ports tended to knock debris around when shooting and I hunt in pretty close cover. The noise and muzzle rise increased a little when firing factory ammo. When firing handloads (300gr at 2100fps) the rifle will jump out of my forward hand unless firmly grasped.

I don't believe that removing the ports will reduce the noise level. Of course now that I've lopped off those pesky 2" of barrel it harldy ever snags road kill or such like it used to.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I don't know if Marlin does it but you would probably be better off cutting and recrowning as you would have what you want and would would probably be cheaper :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am gonna take one of the 336CS models and chop it down. Put the D in the safe, not my style to have a gun and not hunt it but it probably makes sense like Direwolf said. I have done a final chamber ream and headspaced a K98 Mauser to 35 Whelen, how would you do a barrel change with the marlin??? The head space process is what I cant figure out. I would assume that it is a screw in/to achieve the proper headspace but what about the sight/dovetail alignment????

·
Registered
162 Posts
Marlin's toll free number is 800-544-8892. It will not cost you anything to call them and find out if they will replace the barrel. The last time I heard, they would replace the barrel free, but charged for the labor. They would return the old barrel upon request. If they mess it up, then it's their problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what I have elected to do for the time being. I have the scout mount coming and it will cradle a NcStar 4X30 Illuminated reticle compact scope. That is going to sit atop the 336D and be my primary go to this deer season in the thick stuff, the 444 will get the call if I have shooting space. My summer project will be a slightly neglected 336CS also in 35. Tear it down to parade rest, Cut the barrel to 18" even, recrown and then the work starts. Strip the stock and the gun for a complete re-blue and an oiled stock finish. This, once completed will get the scout mount described above and the D will be returned to original and placed in the box, in the safe. That means I have to buy yet another 35 for my youngest coming up in the ranks of "deer hunter"

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
On the Barrel issue, I have bought a factory new Marlin Barrel for a restoration project I did on a 35. I bought it through Brownells, they bought up left over barrels from Marlin when they stopped production. I removed the old barrel (get a barrel vice it will save you time and trouble,) but had the smith do the rebarrel as it had to be cut back to get the proper headspace. He rented go/no-go gauges to test the headspace and that makes it quite simple. But if it has to be set back the cuts that have to be made take it way out of my leage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So that is how they do the Marlin headspace. Screw it in and align the sights and such, run the go/no go's and cut the face of the barrel or add thread to get the proper spacing. Have I got this right? Sure was simpler with the Adams & Bennet on the Mauser. Did not have any sights or that to worry about. I might try the cut down myself and the mouse ball crowning. Is there any restriction as to length vs the rifling? Meaning to say would 17" be better than 17 1/2" due to the rifling. I would not think that would be a factor but might as well ask the question anyway. My local shop could not get the scout mount from Jerry's so I ordered it from Cabela's..$63 and change with a 3 day delivery. My trip is on the 5th and time is runnin short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts