Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, before you say anything, yes I realize there are better, sweeter neater and generally much classier operations.... :embarassed:

But Poor folk got Poor ways.

So for my needs (at this time) a small oven to bake off the washed and prepped parts and then to cure the sprayed parts. After many visits to YouTube (What a WONDERFUL place for any body who want to know how to do anything!) I narrowed my field to about 20 different possibilities for (mostly) home built ovens. I went to Craigslist Houston and the very first thing that showed when I typed in Lockers in the general for sale area was this gun cabinet (photo attached). $40.00 American - I drove across town and bought it. The guy was having a garage sale and I ended up with an additional 10 bucks worth of tools I may actually use someday....
20190530_174010-X2.jpg
20190530_174030-X2.jpg

Today I visited the local Goodwill store and found a toaster oven $10.00 plus tax. Removed the door and trays and I "hope" to just place the little oven inside the locker and fasten it to the rear wall with a screw to hold it steady.
The oven has a convection feature which means it will have some circulation inside the locker. Hopefully enough to prevent hotspot areas and to get an even cure of the product.
I sure use Hope and Hopefully a lot......
20190530_174052-X3.jpg
20190530_174102-X3.jpg
Will the oven controls hold up being inside the locker when heated to 300 F? Hopefully. :proud:

Tomorrow WW Grainger for the (dreaded and dreadful) foil backed rockwool for an outside wrap and some foil tape.

Then, If the little oven can't cut the mustard I will add a stand alone heating element with thermostatic control from WalMart. Another 50.00 bucks.

I can see a trip or two to Harbor Freight in the near future for a compressor, sand blast box and a cheesy spray gun.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I can see a trip or two to Harbor Freight in the near future for a compressor, sand blast box and a cheesy spray gun.
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they sell a better blast cabinet for about the same price, name brand Jobsmart.

I've only been doing pistol frames, but use a cheap air brush set-up from the hobby store.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they sell a better blast cabinet for about the same price, name brand Jobsmart.

I've only been doing pistol frames, but use a cheap air brush set-up from the hobby store.
Ahhhh... Yes Sir. Good info indeed. YouTube had a Bunch of "how to fix a Harbor Freight blast cabinet" vids. There are a few Tractor Supplys not far from my domicile and I will definitely have a look see. Thanks!

I will be doing some pistol frames and slides also but right now I am HOT for my Marlins!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find Tractor Supply and Northern tool to be a couple of notches above Harbor Freight.

AC
And a Northern Tool 14.9 miles. More toy shopping! :dancing2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts