Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What 444 Marlin® gun should we raffle in 2012?

• New Marlington/Remlin 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:20" Ballard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Marlington/Remlin 444XLR Stainless/Laminate - 24" Barrel 1:20" Ballard

• Used Marlin® 444P Blue/Walnut - 18½" Ported Barrel 1:20" Ballard

• Used Marlin® 444 Blue/Walnut - 24" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove

• Used Marlin® 444T Blue/Walnut - 24" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove

• Used Marlin® 444S Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove

• Used Marlin® 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote for rifle choices. You can only see the poll results AFTER YOU VOTE; and there is no changing of votes, so please be sure of your one and only selection. Additionally please post why you chose what you did. I really appreciate all of your guys help and support.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I voted for a "used" 444 XLR because if I were to go out and buy a 444 today and money were no object, that would probably be it. I came close to buying a NIB 2007 444XLR a few months ago, and would have had they given me a reasonable offer on a rifle I offered to trade in (they offered me 15% of what I ended up selling it for and wouldn't budge). I like they way they balance, and the weather resistance. My other two Marlins already fill the bill for classic walnut/blued beauty. Likewise the previous two raffles have been for walnut/blued beauties. I figure there are enough other folks out there that appreciate the weather resistant rifles to make a good showing.

As far as "used" vs. a Ilion made rifle, the used rifle doesn't actually even have to be used. There are still some NIB North Haven rifles floating around out there. But even so there are oodles of used rifles out there in outstanding shape, that really give up nothing to a new rifle.

All that said, I would be equally happy to jump in for a raffle for a nice used 444SS, 444S, 444T, 444P, or 444 first model.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I voted for a new XLR, especially if one can be found reasonably priced, for a few of reasons. First, I have one and it is a great shooter. It shot well with 24" of barrel, and shoots just as well with the barrel cut down to 20" with the same loads. Second, as for unusual .444 Marlins go, the XLR is going to be unusual, if it isn't already due to the limited production run. For those that want a variant similar to an 1895 Stainless Guide, this would be the place to start. Third, after spending the better part of two weeks hunting in rain and snow last fall, I appreciate the durability of stainless and laminated wood in crappy weather much more than I originally did. Not to mention that if is a 444XLR, it is almost guaranteed to be wearing a JM proof mark made prior to 2009 and the move to Ilion, NY.

I know I will probably get an ear full for voting for a stainless/laminate stocked rifle vs. the fine looking blued/walnut stocked rifle, and that's okay.

Besides, regardless of what I would like to get my hands on the most, I would be completely satisfied with having another .444 rifle and joining the ranks with the likes of the 2010twodot and 2011mt101 crowd, regardless of what kind of .444 that may end up being... Here's to hoping. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Guess you know what I voted for... ;D I'd love another one of these and would enter the drawing. There are two 444P's on GB right now (one not so nice).
Ok, I'd enter the drawing for any on your list.......

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I voted for the 444P. I just bought one and I have always liked straight stock, shorter barreled Marlin levers. I shot it today and now I really like it. Power, compactness, reasonable recoil and the cool factor. Add to that the fact they aren't made anymore and whoever wins it will wind up with a classic.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I voted for the 444P I would love to have one of those!!! But in all honesty I would taake any of the ones on the list!!!

1895Gunner thanks for the pic now I have to clean the drool off my keyboard.....Jeez!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Re: Poll - What 444 Marlin® gun should we raffle in 2012?

NIB-XLR, ain't got one. Want one. (Another P would be sweet too. ::)). I'm sure there are NIB's made at the old plant still out there, just not here in Montana. That's not on the poll, so I guess I'll mark a used one. DP

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
NIB XLR. I don't want any rifle with a short little barrel, and I especially don't want porting. As much as I hate to say it, I probably wouldn't get in a raffle for such a gun, but don't let my vote sway you if that's what the majority want.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I voted for the 444P. I like the straight stock and shorter barrel.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I voted for the 444P, but here's something to consider. The results of this year's raffle stem from Dawei's thinking ahead to obtain a unique gun for us to drool over.

We need something for stronger interest next year. Here's a couple of suggestions

a Wild west take down if they'd do one in .444

http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

A Grizzley Custom in .444

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_brush_hawg.html

Or how about one CCH from Doug Turnbull

Or find a nice piece of figured walnut, have it fitted and let Levergun Leather custom make a sling and cartridge carrier.

rimrock

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Any...but I do like them "Stumpy" guns! (444P)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
If you have read my posts then you know I voted "STAINLESS" XLR - - - -

but like most have stated I will support whatever is chosen - - - -

GB45

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
What's the fascination with a ported 444? I see it talked about all the time and now it's in this survey. Not passing judgement - just want to know.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I voted for the used 444P cause that's what I would most like to have, and would probably be the next 444 on my list if I were to acquire anymore 444's. :) And used, well we all know the reasons for that. :-[ Probably would be less headache to make it nice. ::)

·
Registered
632 Posts
NIB XLR. I don't get the short barreled guns.I already have a 24 inch blued 444 from 1970.The XLR's are too smooth.I want one more.... well several more.As long as it was made in Connecticut in 2008 or earlier.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
The ultimate 444 to me us the XLR. Hence my vote for same. 8)

If you win it and would prefer a different configuration, you can always have it modified to suit your tastes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have an 444XLR and would love to make a 444SBL version. My local shop has the XLR's down to a reasonable price now. I might have to go pick up one before they are gone.

Ken

1 - 20 of 100 Posts