Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to see what kind of demand there was for this rifle.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Repeated from the other 32 H&R topic posting.

WooHooo!

Picked up my 32 H&R today from the gun shop 15 months from the time of order.

Looks real nice outside although it left the factory filthy on the inside. At least it shows they shot it to make sure it worked.

The wood is really nice. Deep rich color with a really nice grain pattern. The wood fit is tight and really well done on this rifle. Only gripe would be that you can feel a slight "grittyness" in some spots on the finish like they didn't wipe all the dust off before finishing the wood. The forearm is real nice, slim and a perfect size and fit.

The bore cleaned up well with some solvent and I ran a few strokes of JB bore paste on a patch through it. Real shiny and pretty smooth looking. Nice deep looking Ballard rifling. The blueing on the rest of the rifle is flawless.

Mechanically, it is fairly smooth to cycle but the trigger is really excessively heavy. I didn't have a gauge handy but I'd guess 8-10 pounds. There are two "wings" on the top of the carrier that raises rounds from the magazine to the chamber which are more pronounced than in any of my other 1894's. Must be related to the 32 cartridge or the tube feed of the rifle. On the lower edge of the ejector, it is radiused at a sharp angle which is unlike any other 1894 ejector I've seen.

Functionally, the tube feed is a little awkward (needs a loading gate ) but some dummy rounds with 85 grain XTP bullets seated to the canelure functioned without a hitch.

I removed the rear sight, installed a Marble's sight blank, and mounted a 2X7 Leupold compact scope on it in a one piece steel Redfield mount so I can work up an accurate load.

I won't get to shoot it until next week but will post results after I do. I've got about 150 rounds loaded up with Hodgdon Titegroup and some Alliant Blue Dot. I'm using Hornady 85 XTPs and National Bullet Company's 90 grain LSWC copper washed bullets.

If I had a camera I'd post a picture.

Thank you Marlin for a sharp looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keep us posted on the 32. I am going to have my dealer call again today about mine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I sure want one. I will not play the order two years in advance game though. I dont like the "Allocted" game either. We went through all of this with the 1894CL's. We waited till they were available and then bought them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just curious why you'd want a 32mag. Wouldn't a .357, or even a 38sps be superior to it?

Is it that it's different?

I suppose you don't need a reason, other than you want one.....go for it. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable shooter.

hog

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 1894CS in 357 and an 1894 Cowboy in 357. Both are awesome rifles. I collect Marlin 336's and 1894's and, as funds allow, try to acquire as many variations as possible. I have about 25 Marlin leverguns right now collected over about 20 years or so in many of the available calibers.

The 32 H&R is interesting to me because it is so uniquely different. It is also, in my opinion, easier to load than a bottleneck 32-20 or 25-20 since the 32 H&R is a straight wall cartridge not requiring lubing everytime you reload. I have carbide dies and will never need to lube cases. It should do anything the 32-20 is capable of.

As far as ballistics go, it is really nothing special for anything other than a small game gun, targets, or cowboy shooting games. I'd like to have a go with it on a groundhog or crow out to 150 yards or so.

It should be great fun to shoot as it will most certainly have almost no recoil and be fairly quiet. I have several 1895's in 45-70 which I rarely shoot anymore. They are great fun but the recoil gets to me. When I shoot them, I usually load mild loads. Don't get me wrong, I don't look down on the 45-70 "magnums" that can be loaded. They have their purpose but I'm not worried about meeting a grizzly here in PA. I went through my share of bruised shoulders and experienced the horrific recoil that they can deliver.

I guess I'm getting old. I'm finding out that the mild, easy going cartridges are a lot more fun to shoot than the big thumpers.

Anyway, why does anyone have a reason for "needing" another rifle?

I hope to shoot it Wednesday and will post my results. Weather permitting, I'll try to chrono some of my loads.

Happy shooting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had just about given up on ever getting my hands on one of these. Been waiting for what seemed to be an eternity. Kinda got to feeling that Marlin is taking lessons from Ruger and announcing a new product and not delivering it for at least four years.

My dealer is going to have mine in on Wednesday. I hope I am as pleased with this one as the other Cowboy series guns I own. He feels these will be a very limited run and quite collectible. That's fine. I have deer hunted with and harvested game with my 1894CCL .41 Rem Mag. If I don't break it in, my son will after I am dead and gone.
Regards,
Rich

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
How about I already have one and love it because it is such a tack driver!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
We ordered ours in January and got it this Month.
We were surprised when it came in as a Cowboy Model with octagon barrel.
This rifle has the roughest action of any factory rifle I have ever seen.
I knew it would not be drilled for a receiver sight but it is very disapointing that it is not. The Lyman receiver sight is better for the small game hunter than the Williams - easier to adjust for elevation. The new method of attaching the Williams receiver sight by using the scope mount holes on the top of the receiver is less than satisfactory. The sight hangs over the rear of the action requiring the use of a hammer extension.

Dont take my comments wrong. We are small game hunters and BIG fans of the .32 Magnum cartridge. This Marlin rifle is a little expensive for as rough as it is. I like the weight of the rifle for offhand shooting. The short action will be nice when smoothed a little. Accuracy has been very good. We are happy to have the rifle and I will eventualy get past my problems with the sights.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I got one yesterday and I wonder why I waited so long. Target below says it all. :) The lower hole is the first shot . Need to warm barrel before shooting for groups. I am taking it beaver hunting tonight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Distance? Bullet? Load?

I just got some .313 sized 100 grain LSWC's from a local caster. Much more accurate than any other lead bullet I've had before. I had 1000 95 grain lead bullets that were horrible. They were sized .312. I shot them up to get rid of them but they really turned me off for lead bullets for a while.

Mine also shoots 2" at 100 yards off a rest with 85 grain XTPs over H100 with a 2X7 scope.

I wouldn't part with my 32. Its a really fun little rifle.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Well, I was interested in the Marlin 32, but I came across a Browning Model 53, in 32-20. It is probably the prettiest gun I have ever owned. Now if I can just get used to loading 32-20 and accept the fact that you lose brass in the process. Other than that, it is more accurate than I am!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts