Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited an older 444S (with micro-groove ), a Mod 57M and a Mod 62 (in 30 Carbine w/ 20" barrel) Frankly I am not sure which one of the three I like best but have been shooting the 444 the most. I have had good luck with 52 gr of H335 behind the 265 Hornady but have had problems trying to get my light play loads w/ a 240 gr hard cast bullet to get close to point of impact of the 265 gr. I have tried 4227, Unique, 2400, 700 & 4756. 4756 seems to work the best but is not as close as I would really like. Does anyone have a suggestion of a better powder to try.

Some one had put a weird sight on the 444 so I removed it and bought a Williams 5D that seems well suited to a rifle I will probably not use on game at a range of greater than 100 yds. Accuracy has been good at 50 yds (1 MOA ) with the 265 gr and with several of the 240 gr loads. For load testing I mount a scope to reduce error.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
.............hard to do. The cast bullets at a lower velocity will shoot to a different POA than the 265's at a higher velocity (which will shoot a flatter trajectory, and thus to a lower point of aim). Many years ago I made a "stepped" front sight. Each step was painted a different color. For loads that varied in velocity, I would just use the appropriate colored "step" to shoot a specific load to its POA...........ol' Elmer Keith devised this type of front sight for revolver shooters and it worked out quite well. You can give that a try, or, you will have to keep increasing the velocity of your cast loads until they shoot to the same point of aim as your 265's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat Top- Thanks for the suggestion and I may have to resort to that here. However, I have had luck changing powders in the past with several different rifles and calibers and have nearly always found somthing that worked. I would expect the light loads to shoot about an inch low at 50 yds and I would find that acceptable. I just have not found the "sweet spot" for this particular rifle yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts