Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PMC "ZAPPER" best of the high speed stuff

Coach Jody Skinner of Team Pendleton Gun has been turning in a lot of black death target maxes using PMC Zapper ammunition. Dont ask me why but this stuff is outstanding. Using the ammo in Savage, Marlin, CZ, and Expensive Ruger Custom "Infamous rifles" all proved the PMC Zapper to be superior over all other "High Speed" ammo.

The standard is simple, Zapper will consistanly max BDT targets, I did one myself with my CZ-452. I still like the Wolf match extra for the bench rest portion of the Top Gun Challenge but im switching from CCI Blazer to PMC Zapper for Met. Sil. Shooting.

As far as a squirrel hunting round this has got to be the bullet for bushy tails. Both solid and hollow point seem to do the same thing, they match expensive target ammo. That is incredible, try for yourself.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I'd read an article in a past issue of Guns and Ammo where they'd compared the top brands and some "lesser known" brands. Zappers were some of the lesser known bunch. They said they shot the best groups with the Zappers. I've shot up 250rds in my ruge and they seem to shoot well but just not as good as others I've tested and normally use. They do however seem to shoot rather dirty, but that's a minor.

Perferator

·
Registered
932 Posts

I don't know about zappers, but I've shot a lot of pmc scoremaster and moderator and they are both very good cartridges. Scoremaster is a standard velocity target round and moderator is a sub sonic (1000fps) round. PMC ammo has a good price on it too. I would say that in my experience aguila ammo is probably the best of the inexpensive ammo.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I'm with you on that Sarge. Aguila works as well as Eley subsonics for my rifle.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Sarge did you say you couldn't find the moderator or score master? I think I have a lead on some of each...bought a brick of one and a few boxes of the other...don't remember which though.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Sqs,
A couple of years ago I was having a time finding moderators, but now it seems that pmc has their supply lines back in order. Thanks .

·
Registered
932 Posts

Sqs,
A couple of years ago I was having a time finding moderators, but now it seems that pmc has their supply lines back in order. Thanks .

·
Registered
18 Posts

ALL PMC rimfire ammo is simply Aguila stuff in PMC packaging..

PMC Scoremaster=Aguila Standard SE
PMC Moderator= Aguila Subsonic HP
PMC rifle matc=Aguial Golden Eagle SE
ETC,ETC...

Basically the "Zapper" is Aguila .22lr high Velocity.

Aguila is very good ammo for the $$$ and so is PMC.. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts

Jim62
If that's the case why is moderator 50FPS slower than Aguila.?

·
Registered
18 Posts

I know PMC is Aguila because..

1) It's been common knowledge in the gun industry for about 10years PMC has always had Aguila loading their rimfire ammo.

2) Look At the headstamps..

3) Look at the fine print on the back of the PMC rimfire boxes

The velocity difference between the moderators and Aguila Sub sonics could be due to:

1) Lot to lot differences-if the powder charge specs are the same.
2) The powder charge specs PMC specified may be different than Aguila's

Like I said, both PMC and Aguila are good ammo,it's just that generally the PMC costs about 25% more and shoots no better for me than the comparable Aguila loads..

·
Registered
932 Posts

jim 62,
Thanks. I don't want you to think that I was trying to be a wise ass, I really wanted to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Sarge,

I would never take a comment from you that way... :wink:

I have been reading your posts here and on the Old Marlin Talk long enough to know where you were coming from.. :lol:

The above reply is the situation as I know it..I could be wrong,but I do believe I'm correct..

·
Registered
37 Posts

Just some heads-up info, guys. Our market is now readily selling PMC ammos. I've come across a couple and most are subs HP and they come in 50's. They are now being made here in the Philippines and are simply called "Subsonics", manufactured under license by Australia. Cheaper labor, I guess. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts

Incidentally, has anybody tried the Sellier & Bellot high v's ammo from the Czech Republic? I had the occassion to shoot a couple of rounds in the range this weekend at 25 meters (roughly 27 yards) and it did great on my 39A! Outfitted with a not-so-cheap scope (Bushnell 3-9x32), I was hitting groups of an inch diameter...and my shooting is not something to brag about either! I used the solids, 36 gr. HV's, though a bit greased just like Eley. Just another option, I guess, for those still looking for reasonably good ammos. :D

(Edited to correct scope specs and to include...) I am going to try this ammo out with BDT Practice Sheet, maybe next weekend, just to see how it fairs. Hey, it costs almost half the price for what I pay for Eley Standard! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Wow learned a lot on this thread, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

I haven't found the zappers locally, but have found their >22 mag predators.
The Predators outshoot all the other .22 mags in my guns.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

I can only get Predators to shoot in one of my guns: a Savage Striker bolt action pistol. They shoot .6" at 50M from that rig. From my other guns they are mediocre, to say the least. I do like that bullet they load in it though... ~Andrew

1 - 20 of 20 Posts