Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ventured away from my Model 60 collecting (another thread for another day) and picked up an old Model 80 Bolt Action .22
Of course Mags, when found, are EXPENSIVE! Dang!

First question is how to date this thing? I dont find any SN# (pre?)
Has cheaper looking light colored wood (possibly redone) Has plastic trigger guard, but I don't think it's original as the trigger touches it. :(
Has 2 bolt holes on top of the receiver and 2 more on top of barell in front of sight.

Which leads to question #2. How do I put peeps on this 80? Or can I? All the factory and Williams sights I have looked at seem to mount on the side of the receiver where as this lil jewel has none.

If you folks 'need' pics I will try and find the digicam.
Thanx ya'll for any help.
(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I have tried to search this out, but the search option and I do not get along. )

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The model 80 started in 1934 and different variations of it were made through 1970. Without a serial number, all I can say is its pre 1968. I have a model 80DL- with the factory peeps on it. You should be able to drill and tap it for Marlin factory peeps- but you may have to relieve the wood to make room for the sight. You should also be able to drill and tap for installation of sights by other manufacturers.

You might also consider combing the used market for an 81DL or 80DL- usually these can be had for $150 or less.

M

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One clue might be if the receiver is grooved for scope mounts. I'm not sure when this was started, maybe early 50's? And you're right about 22mags being a lot pricier. I've always wondered why since they're basically the same gun. Maybe it's just cause there wouldn't be as many old ones out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a J C Higgins rifle which is a clone of the Model 80. I narrowed down the date of manufacture in two ways. I saw that it had Micro-Groove rifling, so it is after 1953, and it has a 24-in. barrel, which I believe was shortened to 22 inches in 1958, so I figure mine is between 1954-57. I am more confident in the Micro-Groove dating than the barrel length dating. I based the barrel length data on old Marlin ads for sale on E-bay. I am sure others have more information on this. As to the magazines, I bought a couple from Dick Williams and paid $45 for them, shipping included.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I used to think they shortened the barrel to save money. But I read somewhere that 22" is the optimum length for .22LR. Interesting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info folks.
I am wondering now if I could simply fashion some Skinner peeps to the two bolt holes (scope mount?) on top the receiver. The reason I am lookin to add peeps as it already has the gold/ silver dot front sight I like (simliar to my 336T). and with the barell length i would like to think this could be a rabbit sniping machine!

FYI does not have scope mounting grooves.
I am thinking It might be in the same era as Vet47's Higgins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts