Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found a Marlin 336 30-30 in very good shape with a smooth, straight-gripped stock. The serial number 24----36 makes it made in 1976 I believe. I thought they only came with pistol gripped stocks?

Should I buy it for $219????

Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Changing a rifle from or to pistol grip is a very simple operation, check the reference section, they have been made in both configurations. The texan, marauder and magnum all came with straight stock as did the 100th year commemorative and the Octagon in 30-30 that came out in 1973. Because you are not buying a "collector" if the rifle looks good, the barrel looks good, and you like it then buy it. If you use it you will get your moneys worth as will your children and their children. You get the idea. It is not the best price I have heard of nor is it the worst.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I much prefer the staight-grip to pistol-grip. I've only seen two straight-gripped 336's and I bought them both-for more than the $219. I would have bought it, for sure.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Tim,

You could always try your price-negotiating skills and offer a slightly smaller sum than 219.00 - Doesn't cost anything to try. SW

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes Tim buy it. $219 for any 30=30 in good shape is a deal. You get to try it and if don't like it you can get your money back. Without a pistol grip stock it's worth more than what you payed. Good Luck >>Tombstone

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
How come you dont already own it??

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Man, don't you just love those old original straight grips!?

I purchased one much like you are speaking of a few months ago, for no other reason than I like it. It's DOM was 67. About 2 years ago I bought a 336 RC .35 of '57 ventage. It sports a straight grip and is my favorite rifle to just look at. I am always on the lookout for a straight grip with a little age on it.

Does this rifle have a model description after "336"? What is it's overal condition? Everything being equel, I'd say the price tag is very fair.

SS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice so far. I will probably buy it in the next couple days. If I dont like it Im sure one of you will take it off my hands.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
1976 Marlin catalog says.
Marlin 336T
The traditional Western version of this great rifle. Known as the "Texan", the 336T is famous for its fine balance and fast-handling qualities. Straight-grip styling makes the Texan an ideal saddle gun.

Marlin 336T Specifications
Same as 336C. available in 30/30 Win. only, with straight-grip stock, and squared finger lever. About 6 3/4 lbs.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Gurn,

Help me out here, I thought the 336T was manufactured in 30-30, .35 and .44 mag. (44 mag made in '65 through '67). The "DT", Delux Texan was manufactured in the early 60's and was also available in 30-30 and .35. I do not find a Texan that was chambered for the 30-30 only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks much,

SS

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
This was from the 1976 Marlin catalog and is about 1976 products only.
There were many straight grip models made in different years.
I believe that is the year gont was asking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not buy it due to another rifle catching my eye. If anyone is interested in the rifle the store is "Los Ranchos" gun shop. Phone number 505-345-4276, let me know if I can help.

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not buy it due to another rifle catching my eye. If anyone is interested in the rifle the store is "Los Ranchos" gun shop. Phone number 505-345-4276, let me know if I can help.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts