Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post on Marlinowners although I have been looking at this website for quite a few months now. I have just purchased an 1894c in .357 Magnum and want to begin reloading. I will be shooting at a range of 50 metres and be using 158grn lead RNFP in .357 cases. I also will be using Alliant Bullseye powder. However, I have been unable to find any data on how much powder to use. I would be very grateful if anyone who uses the same/similar setup with Bullseye could give me any suggestions on how many grains they put into their reloads. I would also appreciate it if you could provide details on their accuracy/grouping through your rifles.

Many thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
handloads.com has some loads for Bullseye but I would check a manual and the Alliant web site to make sure the loads are safe.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
158gr, BT LSWC, OAL 1.580 Bullseye 6.5 grn, vel 1320, psi 33900

158 grn, BT JSP, OAL 1.575 Bullseye 6.8 grn Vel 1250, psi 33100

Alliant 2003 manual pistol loads. Nothing listed in Bullseye in the rifle categories

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dazza, Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here.

These loads come out of the Lyman reloading manual, 45th edition.
Using bullseye powder and 357mag. cases , 158gr cast starting load is 3.0 gr. max load is 4.5gr.

using bullseye powder and 38spl. cases with the same bullet starting load is 2.0 gr. and max load is 3.5 gr.

The 38spl. load I used for years with a 158gr.SWC cast bullet was 3.0gr. of bullseye. Worked well for me. as always start low and work up watching for pressure signs. Regards, Byron :D

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Hi Dazza, welcome to the Forum!

Looking over your plan for loads, my first question is why that bullet and powder? I don't shoot lead anymore, I only use plated and jacketed slugs, the cost isn't that much higher if you buy in bulk, and the time savings is worth it to me. If you're planning on shooting swaged, soft lead bullets in your 357, my advise is simple.......DON'T. Unless you want to spend two hours cleaning guns for every hour you spend shooting. Soft slugs are fine for powder-puff and target loads, but go over 1000 feet per second, and your barrel will lead so fast you'll lose accuracy and have a mess to clean up afterwards. A dozen rounds is all is takes to lead a barrel with the wrong loads. Hard-cast lead is better, but still messy. And if you want magnum velocities, jacketed or plated is the only way to go.

As for powders, I have burned about a hundred pounds of Unique in the last 20+ years, but I have also used a lot of AA-5, A-7, Blue Dot, 2400, H-110, and W-296 over the same period. Bullseye is good for light loads but tends to get dirty when the charges are too heavy. My latest favorite is Power Pistol, which (if I remember this right) was known in the industry as "Bullseye #2", it meters just as well and burns a lot cleaner, with some amazing velocities possible, while still not using a lot of powder. But remember to work up your charges carefully, I've had some hot batches of powder in the past, that gave signs of high pressure WAY before I got to the published max loads.

Make haste slowly. But enjoy the ride! I think a 357 levergun may be the most fun you can have with a medium-bore rifle.

Hope this helps.

Papajohn

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bullseye isn't a good choice for a rifle, the burn rate is too fast. Unique or one of the slower burning powders works much better. I tried some 38 spl. loads with bullseye in my cbc and in cold weather all I got was squibs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's some info from Speer's 10th Loading manual with 158gr lead bullets used in and 1894C.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would use nor would I recommend using bullseye in a 357Mag case.

I'll use a fairly hefty charge of RedDot, 4.7grains, with a home cast
LSWC-GC which equals a moderat 38spl +p load in a 357 case.

I use 4.7 grains because that's what my "small" dillon powder
measure that I use on my 38spl/357Mag toolhead throws when
also set to 5.4grs of Unique.

It's reliably thrown those two charges so consistantly that I'd cheerfully epoxy the adjustment screw in place.

THE reason why I recommend against bullseye is that a double charge
of Bullseye will fit in the case, but the bulkier charge of RedDot
won't as easily....

AllanD

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just loaded up some .158 grain JSP, .357 magnum rounds this evening, using Bullseye (6.5 grains). 1st time to use the Bullseye in .357 magnum, used it before with .38 Special. I could find no rifle data for the Bullseye either. I do find data for the .44 magnum, and loaded 8.4 grains for that revolver, using 240 grain JSP. I used WSP primers in .357 and WLP in .44 magnum. Only use I find I have left for the Bullseye powder is the .357 and .44 magnum loads.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Old smokeless powder makes wonderful fertilizer. Full of nitrates, dont'cha know.

Thrift is fine, but using a fast powder for an application it was never meant to serve sounds like a bad idea. Make haste slowly.

PJ

·
Registered
244 Posts
I shot some 158 grain JSP's, using 6.5 grains of Bullseye today. I got 1093 fps (28/13), (419 ft-lbs), using 1.575" OAL and 1075 fps (22/9), (405 ft-lbs), using 1.585" OAL.

This was a nice light to moderate load. I forgot to take my Red Dot scope, so accuracy is simply all shots hit the target at 25 yards.

7.8 grains of Unique with the 158 grain JSP bullet yielded 1105 fps (56/19) (428 ft-lbs), with moderate recoil. Again, all shots hit the target, at 25 yards, but accuracy compared with the 6.5 grains of Bullseye cannot be determined until next trip to the range. I decided that either of these loads are a good practice round (cheap) for the 145 grain Winchester STHP I carry in the 4" S&W 686 (Defense Load), and the 180 grain Winchester PG, or the Buffalo Bore 170 grain JHC, I carry in the 6" S&W 686 (Hunting Load).

The PMC 158 grain JSP's yielded 1121 (18/12) fps, (441 ft-lbs), with quite stout recoil. I do not think the extra 15 fps (40 ft-lbs) is worth the added recoil. I'll load the 6.5 grains of Bullseye, for practice , until it is gone, experimenting with the accuracy at 25, and 50 yards.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Welcome to the Group!
Bullseye powder was used in high volume loading for competition, mostly behind 38 wadcutters. Usually very light loads and it went a long way. For that purpose, it would have been great.
My early experiments with Bullseye were not pretty. I was not metering my charges with the precision that we use 35 years later. Like many novice reloaders, I was trying to work the edge of the envelope. Loads worked fine in a Ruger, but switching to a model 28, I severed two case heads from their cases out of 6. Never even knew it until I went to eject the casings. Bullseye scares me ever since.
Try Unique or a similar powder and save the Bullseye for light loads. Another powder is Red Dot. I use it in AA 12 Ga., and as a result, usually have lots of it on hand. Works good for moderate loads. The guns like moderate loads too. They seem to last longer! Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts