Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-\ Can somebody help me here? I have been reforming 25-35 cases from 30-30 b rass. Rims on the 3030 brass are .010 too big{wide} so I turned them down on my lathe. I shoot these cases In my 25-35 which is a new Win from about 5 years ago. I have no pressure signs but extraction is extremely sticky. Any ideas? Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Lots of questions.....

What load are you using?

How well do the cases fit before firing?

Any undue force needed to chamber reformed brass?

Have you tried resizing the sticky cases and shooting again? What happens then?

Are cases full length sized in a 25-35 full length sizer?

The 25-35 case, and chambers, have a whole lot of taper. It is quite possible that, being heavily tapered, the case "fills" the chamber, fore to aft, plus a bit, on firing. I suspect that's a big part of the problem. The "wedging" effect then manifests itself as sticky extraction.

Full length size these cases and try again. Make sure the case is sized adequately for easy chambering, allowing the lever to close fully and depress the tab under the lever. Try not to set the shoulder back excessively.....some dies may allow this depending upon the press, shellholder and die set you are currerntly using.

Make sure neck clearance is adequate by measuring a loaded round over the bullet. It should not exceed SAAMI drawings or specifications for the 25-35.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
35 Remington
Cases are FL sized and I have no problem with chambering. Load is a low one on the scale in the Hornaday reloading manual. Bullet is 117 grains-RN. . :-[

1 - 3 of 3 Posts