Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am planning on making a "wow" rifle out of my 308mx . i have been peruseing .gun wood sights for weeks . where my quandry comes from is two laminated and one walnut.all of these stocks are on macons websight.my choices are camo,royal jacabara ,and extra fancy walnut. the lam stocks are 150.00 but the walnut is 300.00.
i also want to fit,finish and checker the stock myself. 18 or 20 lpi?:hmmmm::vollkommenauf::questionmark:
any tips or suggestions?
sorry about the spelling ,i'm typing in the dark and letting the spouse sleep

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I've got no idea but throw the question out in the Gunsmithing section and I bet you get some answers. Some of those guys make works of art out of stocks.

sorry about the spelling ,i'm typing in the dark and letting the spouse sleep
That's awful considerate of you :biggrin:.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
13,211 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That my friends is an original Marlin 336A-DL stock; and this set is on a beautiful Marlin 336 chambered in 32 Win Special. As FYI, I purchased another A-DL in 30-30 Win and received the gun yesterday; it is a 1957 model, and the wood on that gun is almost as nice as the wood on the 32 Special (probably is as nice, but the finish has darkened with age making the color and grain tough to see). From 1957-1962 Marlin put this style stock, fabricated from select American black walnut on all Model 336A-DL's produced during this period. These stocks were designed by the Bishop Stock Company especially for Marlin and feature a raised comb and cheek piece; they are hand-checkered, and in many cases exhibit fabulous color and figure. In my opinion, the Model 336A-DLs from this period are the most beautiful Marlin Model 336 levers ever made; these models were more costly and they didn't sell many, so they are hard to find. These A-DL's were offered in 30/30, 32 Special, and 35 Remington When I get an example in 35 Rem, I'll have the complete "set"; but below is a photo of a doe I took earlier this season with the 32 Special and a Hornady 165 grain FTX factory load. It was DRT. Marlin.32 Special.Doe.10.22.11..jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
11,591 Posts
There ain't np WOW factor in camo or laminated; go for a nice stick of good old fancy American Walnut.
Ratchethead nailed it on the head again! If you want wow factor I'd start looking for a figured wood stock set. I bought this one from a seller on ebay for about $150. I've had it for a while but am currently stripping the marshield finish and hope to have it up and running over Christmas break, sort of a gift to myself lol.

1895GS stocks.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
You can't beat good wood.

IMGP2834.jpg
This the original wood on my 336A DL .35 Rem.

IMGP3086.jpg
This is a stock I picked up for a project 336 30-30 Zane Gray

1894PGrtsidestock.jpg 1894PGlfsidestock.jpg
This is another stock I got and added the Cressent Butt, it's on a 1894PG

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
I have said it a million times before and ill say it again, theres nothing like wood furniture on a firearm!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts