Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people seem to prefer, pistol or straight stocks. I seen to have a preference for the pistol grips myself.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Either is fine.. most of mine are pistol grip though

G

·
I like the looks of the straight grip and the feel of the pistol grip....but if the caliber is what I am looking for, either will do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Either grip works for me from a shooting and handling standpoint

However, I tend to like the straight grips a little better only because it is really what a classic traditional lever action should look like.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Strraight grip is my first choice. I wouldn't spend my money on a pistol grip but I'd accept one as a gift... :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I far prefer the straight stock. They are hard to find though, at least around South Florida. I have been looking for some time, for a straight stock trigger guard plate, so I can convert my 336Y from the pistol grip to a straight grip.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
5 outa six of mine are straight including my 336. I do like the aesthetic better.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Shot both...like 'em both...think I prefer the PG...truth is you need some of both... :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I much prefer pistol grips. You know, slightly bent out of shape. They seem to be a better fit for me.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I love the look and feel of a pistol grip.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Until I learn better, I like the straight grip best. My Winchester 1892 is just perfect with the straight grip and the crescent butt. I shoot a rifle well if it has that RIGHT FEEL. My 1897T also is a good fit for me with the straight grip but flat butt. Close behind my beloved Win 1892 is my Marlin 1881 straight grip.

Now I just got a Marlin 336 with that kind of ugly pistol grip, took it to the silhouette match last Saturday and shot a 33/40 which included 10 straight turkeys, much better than I anticipated I'd do with a 20" carbine! So maybe a pistol grip isn't so bad after all.

My favorite pistol grip of all at least for looks are those on the older Marlins that have the S shape to them on the bottom side. Those look very CLASSIC, but I've never been around one of them to shoulder one and see how she feels. Long winded but it is a good question!

Geoff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts