Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Question: Has anyone ever seen a modification where a Pistol Grip Stock (and curved Lever, etc) is used to replace the standard straight stock setup on a 1894.

I realize such a mod undermines the traditional western/cowboy look of the 1894 but I have always liked the curved lever and pistol grip arrangement and just wondered if something like that is out there.

Being new the Marlin in general, it is possible a different model in 357 SS already exists with this kind of setup as its standard design (but that I am just not aware of it). I really don't want to mess up the original look but thought a second (modified) gun might do the trick.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd like to see one. I have owned four 336's in my life and really like the curved lever. I once bought a Winny trapper model with the straight grip. I didn't like the feel of the straight grip and how it felt when I worked the action.

·
Registered
371 Posts
DJH posted picture of his cowboys, all of them includeing the 1894 had curved grips. I also like the look, and the feel. Take a look at this old thread.

I also read a post by TOMRAY that they are more scarce than hen's teeth. I never saw a hen's tooth, but I do have a marlin 1894 44-40 with curved Grip.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
There were very few pistol gripped 1894's made so that means there are very few parts out there to do the conversion.

The butt stock and lever would be easy enough to sort out but the trouble is the trigger plate. The receiver on the 1894's is shorter so you can't mix and match the plates like you can on the 336, 1895, etc.

Remington shows in their catalog that they are going to produce an 1894SBL (and maybe BL don't remember) so if that comes to pass it might mean a new infusion of available parts to do the conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
The pictures I have seen of the new 1894SBL is pistol gripped but, it is a laminate stock and a big loop and of course a 16 inch barrel. I saw and held a 1894LTD with a 16 inch and it seemed so short it felt like I needed to hold it like a hand gun. I prefer the 20 inch barrel with pistol grip.

If I had a 1894 css or 1894ss I would like to see if I could get the parts or send it in to have reconfigured to a pistol grip.

The pics of the 1894BL as planned was blued with straight stock and a big loop.

In regards to a straight stock looking and being more old west or cowboy like I would have to disagree. The saddle carbine had straight stock for easier scabbard use but they did have scabbards for the pistol gripped. Most of the old pictures of ranchers, cowboys, ranch hands and cattle men I have seen from the late 1880s up to the 1920s had pistol gripped rifles, out in this region anyway. Also, not all persons out west had a scabbard nor did all of them ride a horse, some used buck board wagons. One old timer out in New Mexico told me that most folks he knew always ordered 24 inch or longer barrels with the pistol gripped rifles because they were more natural to hold aim and cycle the lever. I would agree with that and I would do the same, a straight stock feels like a mop handle to me and very awkward.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I put a pistol gripped stock on my 1895, I could not find a curved plate for it.
But hte stock would still fit, with a bit of a gap in the curved part. I fixed that by making
a wood insert that slid in there nice and snug.

Would an 1894 take the same treatment?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Troutseeker said:
When I put a pistol gripped stock on my 1895, I could not find a curved plate for it.
But hte stock would still fit, with a bit of a gap in the curved part. I fixed that by making
a wood insert that slid in there nice and snug.

Would an 1894 take the same treatment?
Actually yes it will just bolt right up and have a deep channel down to the tang.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Georgky has put pistol grip stocks on a few while using the straight trigger plate. Like gyrhed said it would just leave that deep channel down to the tang.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I put pistol grip on my CB in 357. Everyone that shoots it lkoves it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I bought a 44mag PG from budsgunshop and ended up with a nice PG CB in 357 along with a straight grip 44mag I gave to mu some for xmas.

I need to get bettter pictures of these things.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
How come nobody's mentioned the 1894FG? 41 Mag, pistol grip stocks. Hard to find and pricey, I know. But they did make them.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Also the 1894PG in 44 Mag that was made from 2002 to 2004. The FG was made from 2002 to 2007.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Gyrhed,

Can you post a pic of the mod you did to convert the 1984 to a pistol grip. I want to do the same to the 357 I have in lay-a-way once I get it out for my son.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
One other issue, and this is a to my knowledge, Marlin has never released a pistol grip in stainless. That is supposed to change with the new 1894s coming out any time now but I don't think they are on store shelves.

·
Registered
243 Posts
well call me crazy, cause i'm on the other side of the fence. i've always liked PG's on 336's and such. but when i first got my 44 mag, that one kinda changed my way of thinkin'. and the other day i bought a 336 strait grip. and now i want covert all mine to strait. crazy ain't it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Mikeflies said:
Gyrhed,

Can you post a pic of the mod you did to convert the 1984 to a pistol grip. I want to do the same to the 357 I have in lay-a-way once I get it out for my son.
I got lucky and bought a 44MAG 1894PG for $432 from Bud's online gunshop and just swapped parts. No tricks or modification just a swap of parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Marlin needs to make a FG/PG format .357.
I need to finish the set.
Having used pistol gripped levers almost exclusively, the "mop-handle' straight grip stocks just don't feel right to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts