Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried going through the factory to convert an 1894 Cowboy to a pistol grip stock? I want to reconfigure an 1894 Cowboy in .357 from the straight grip, and checkering/noncheckering of the pieces is a non-issue for me.

Go for it? Don't do it? Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
455 Posts
While it might be possible, to do a modification like that, it would be expensive, and impractical.

It would also defeat the concept of a lever action rifle. AND, you would take a lot of ribbing from others about it.

I just had another thought, the lever has to move, a certain amount, to eject and load the next cartridge. The lever would have to be bent, quiet a bit, to accomodate the pistol grip. That would make your hand go forward an inordinate amount, because of the radical bend, to function the lever.

You might want to reconsider all of this.

Bill

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judging by the various sources, it sounds like a fairly simple deal if one has the necessary parts. I suppose I could just buy an 1894PG or FG and then send it back to New Haven for a cowboyectomy (which I may do), but this is a "bird in the hand" project.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
deafrn:

This is a Model 1894CB in 44/40 caliber I converted some time back. It's not as easy to convert an 1894 as it is a 336CB or 1895CB.

But it can be done.

djh

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
check out the Whitedog post below regarding a guy who wants to convert from pistol grip to straight stock. Sounds like you guys should get together and swap parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts